Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 10, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #241 of 1,739
The EQ/ dsp argument is interesting.

With traditional thinking, you have those that stills believe headphones that relies on dsp to sound good is weak in design. And that may be correct thinking if the given headphones is true passive with dsp on top like icing on a cake.

With the current generations of "high tech" headphones, we're seeing marvellous advances in onboard dsp for cans. Eg. APM. Where the headphones are always active. The DSP is always on when you're listening regardless of wired or wireless.

This requires new paradigm thinking from the audiophile community when it comes to these high tech headphones. The bathys falls right into the middle of this category.

I agree with Nomax that when we set to flat, these are ok but not very good for this price point. With EQ applied to your personal liking however, these kills many other offerings at similar price. People are then complaining with old mindset that it's "cheating" if you have to apply EQ to make it sound good.

Let's be reminded that dsp is ALWAYS on with these. With a flat EQ it is still possible a Focal house tuning is applied in the dsp. EQ is relative. So in theory, they can release a firmware update with an update to the base tune to make it sound good to most people if enough feedback is gathered with people's EQ preference. The new flat becomes a new reference point to EQ from.

We still appreciates a well tuned set of wired passive headphones, yes, and that's partly the joy of the hobby. However, when it comes to these high tech cans. And when company like focal comes to the party. The game of audiophile is changing.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #242 of 1,739
I agree with Nomax that when we set to flat, these are ok but not very good for this price point. With EQ applied to your personal liking however, these kills many other offerings at similar price. People are then complaining with old mindset that it's "cheating" if you have to apply EQ to make it sound good.

Let's be reminded that dsp is ALWAYS on with these. With a flat EQ it is still possible a Focal house tuning is applied in the dsp. EQ is relative. So in theory, they can release a firmware update with an update to the base tune to make it sound good to most people if enough feedback is gathered with people's EQ preference. The new flat becomes a new reference point to EQ from.

We still appreciates a well tuned set of wired passive headphones, yes, and that's partly the joy of the hobby. However, when it comes to these high tech cans. And when company like focal comes to the party. The game of audiophile is changing.
You've convinced me, I'm going to EQ Bathys and then do another shootout with PX8 lol.

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #243 of 1,739
Not a fan of Nomax's EQ, it's actually exasperated the issue I had with the vocal timbre. Sound is sharper and these had a better sound with the default, which is softer, to me at least.

Any other EQ profiles people might suggest?

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #244 of 1,739
I also can not imagine that someone likes Bathys without the DSP/EQ

NOMAX

PS.I have therefore sold my Elegia and my Diana Phi
Hey up , Nothing wrong with the Elegia . For the price you can pick them up they are very good closed back headphones. And the Elegia are a good starting point for people to get into the Focal range.

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #245 of 1,739

With traditional thinking, you have those that stills believe headphones that relies on dsp to sound good is weak in design. And that may be correct thinking if the given headphones is true passive with dsp on top like icing on a cake.

With the current generations of "high tech" headphones, we're seeing marvellous advances in onboard dsp for cans. Eg. APM. Where the headphones are always active. The DSP is always on when you're listening regardless of wired or wireless.

This requires new paradigm thinking from the audiophile community when it comes to these high tech headphones. The bathys falls right into the middle of this category.

Good post!

BUT I must asking: Why, when Focal having a lot of feedback from audiophile community (and from part of the consumer community) about sound preference, they going with more warm/dark sound, with obvious scoop in critical parts of FR?

The AirPods Pro 2, for example, is having a more or less safe frequency response, too, BUT is more correct than Bathys!! This is strange really, or maybe isn't. The Bathys still having attributes in more clean sound that APP2 isn't having, BUT the reality is that for normal ears, and even for audiophile ears (in blind test possibly) the APP2 is giving very, very, VERY good sound, maybe even some people saying is better than Bathys (I insisting, in blind testing). From my memory the APP2 I have now is sounding better than AirPods Max that I owning for one month (then I returning for different reasons including not sufficiently good sound quality for me).

I'm liking the factory sound of Bathys 65% of times but often I find details in more high frequencies missing. EQ must not be answer for this, specially when DSP you can tuning the way you thinking is best! Factory sound must be very reasonably correct.

For me, after 7 hours with Bathys, the sound is similar of Sony XM3/XM4/XM5, meaning is going for similar 'more bass' and safe but not fatiguing sound, with better refinement in sound, yes, with better quality but the same principle, and this is: "People with money will buying this product. DON'T giving them more linear/neutral, fatiguing sound". Today many, many normal people with sufficient money doing quick search and they quickly finding and then thinking they now knowing good sound (this meaning: "Oh, less BIG bass is good", this is typical in many youtube videos today)...

Why is necessary for Bathys needing EQ in mids and treble??!! Something in this first generation of Bathys isn't correct.

But I maybe thinking still that I keeping the Bathys and not my 5909. I needing more retesting in different configurations.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #246 of 1,739
The AirPods Pro 2, for example, is having a more or less safe frequency response, too, BUT is more correct than Bathys!! This is strange really, or maybe isn't. The Bathys still having attributes in more clean sound that APP2 isn't having, BUT the reality is that for normal ears, and even for audiophile ears (in blind test possibly) the APP2 is giving very, very, VERY good sound, maybe even some people saying is better than Bathys (I insisting, in blind testing).

I'm liking the factory sound of Bathys 65% of times but often I find details in more high frequencies missing. EQ must not be answer for this, specially when DSP you can tuning the way you thinking is best! Factory sound must be very reasonably correct.
FR is a tough one and we can only go so far with it, I'd say listen to the headphones and see what you find to be missing. I find Bathys to be a bit less emotive in the mid range where vocals are, but the FR doesn't suggest that...So, what gives?
I also find Bathys sound a lot better overall than my Airpods Pro 2. Again, what gives?
First of all, the harman target is an average. Maybe i'm one of the majority of people who's preferences are off the average (indeed, as is usually the case of averages on human preferences, most people aren't average).

The other thing to remember is the FR is a 2d representation of a three dimensional phenomenon. Standing waves form across all 3 axes, and harmonics occur within the cup cavity and ear cavity. It is possible to have different harmonics form and have the same FR, that is, one can easily produce two sounds with the same averaged FR (which is power per 1hz range) using different harmonics.

The result?

The human ear deconstructs the overall FR into constituent harmonics to produce a sound. The FR graph doesn't. So the graph shows to identical lines, the human hears two very different things.

Anyway, enough of a lecture on the limitations of FR and a Harman target. In a nutshell, don't be surprised if you like a headphone with a weird FR curve. You're only human, and the curve is only 2d.

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #247 of 1,739
I also find Bathys sound a lot better overall than my Airpods Pro 2. Again, what gives?

Part of it could be because you know that they cost over three time the price :sweat_smile:

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #249 of 1,739
A simple thing like this is deal breaker for me as my use case is connecting 3.5mm whilst watching Movies at night in a dark room witha large Calibrated OLED TV. I can see the lights reflecting in the screen and behind me.

What an oversight
I have the same issue as well. The LED setting should’ve been carried over from bluetooth mode according to Focal’s documentation. It’s Monday and Focal hasn’t replied to my feedback yet.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #251 of 1,739
Can someone verify that if I connect the Bathys via USB-C to the Samsung S22 Ultra I can "Override" the Codec limitation (Max at standard APTx No APTXHD) that I get when using the Bluetooth?
It seems reasonable that once connected via USB the internal DAC will allow better sound quality.
The Audio Advisor review said they tested it in USB DAC mode with an S22 and got a popup about it pulling too much power to be used.

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #252 of 1,739

I tried using HQPlayer upsampling via USB connection for better clarity. The result is stellar. Its imagining is so clear that it is comparable to plannars around $2000.
When using bluetooth, I choose the home EQ preset for at low volume.

I’ve ordered an upgrade USB cable that might do better at shielding RF noise. I’d return it instantly if it doesn’t make any improvement. Actually I found other USB-C cables (iPad charging cable, TB4 cable, etc ) sound slightly harsher than the stock Focal one. So maybe an upgrade one can provide some smoothness.

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #253 of 1,739
I tried using HQPlayer upsampling via USB connection for better clarity. The result is stellar. Its imagining is so clear that it is comparable to plannars around $2000.
When using bluetooth, I choose the home EQ preset for at low volume.

I’ve ordered an upgrade USB cable that might do better at shielding RF noise. I’d return it instantly if it doesn’t make any improvement. Actually I found other USB-C cables (iPad charging cable, TB4 cable, etc ) sound slightly harsher than the stock Focal one. So maybe an upgrade one can provide some smoothness.
Despite countless arguments and controversy regarding USB cables. I do hear a difference between different cables. I think the key points are as you said, better shielding, and I believe, a thicker gauge ground wire helps. I managed to found someone locally selling a used 1.5m Audioquest Carbon C-C cable for a good price and that has perceivable improvements over a stock generic cable.

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #254 of 1,739
Not a fan of Nomax's EQ, it's actually exasperated the issue I had with the vocal timbre. Sound is sharper and these had a better sound with the default, which is softer, to me at least.

Any other EQ profiles people might suggest?

This should fit..goes in the direction of MG

-2.5/62Hz
-2.db/250 Hz
+1db/1KHz
+1db/4Khz
+1db/16kh

NOMAX

PS.In any case, the left side/half must be reduced (woom woom/boom boom) because this covers the right half
Sorry my english is not the best 😎

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #255 of 1,739

Yes...now you are getting closer to what I mean 👍
And I have also Focal before the release informed that this woom woom sound with too little treble is too much (the flat setting)

NOMAX

PS.Where I still hold my opinion that EQ in the highest price segment is not justified for me ... because the listener must convince without EQ
It's still okay for an 800 euro model
(Up to 1.000)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back