Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
May 29, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #271 of 362
How’s it compare to the Focal Arche?

And how could it have connection issues when it’s really a one box solution? I believe you can’t even hook a pc directly to it thru usb. Has a standard USB port for a drive only. I guess could use other digital connections but misses the point.

I have one arriving on Tuesday, so I’ll be able to compare the sound quality myself. I stopped using HQPlayer with my Focal Arche because of issues and delays but found I still love the Focal Arche sound all on its own. I’m just hoping the Naim is as fun and has a full, punchy sound. Based on what I’ve read, seems like it.

Kind of sad if they don’t follow thru and fix the software issue. I’ve had no real issues using the latest software. I tried installing the original one and couldn’t get it to play at all with my streamer.

One thing that may help people is to shut off the sleep mode. It doesn’t get to warm at all and it’s ready to go. I have screen set to turn off after 30 seconds.
I said there was 'NO' connection issues with the Atom HE, i think you mis read that. I did a sound quality with my A&K SP1000 through the toslink connection as a fair comparison and they were very close. And like you said it has 2 USB ports to play music off a stick or hard drive and has a built in internet radio which can play high res radio stations which is all good stuff. I have used Air Play to connect to my Mac and works very well. So far i am very pleased, but it is still running in. Look forward to reading your opinion and view on it.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #272 of 362
I said there was 'NO' connection issues with the Atom HE, i think you mis read that. I did a sound quality with my A&K SP1000 through the toslink connection as a fair comparison and they were very close. And like you said it has 2 USB ports to play music off a stick or hard drive and has a built in internet radio which can play high res radio stations which is all good stuff. I have used Air Play to connect to my Mac and works very well. So far i am very pleased, but it is still running. Look forward to reading your opinion and view on it.
No, I understand you said it didn’t have connection issues but was pointing out that’s really because there’s nothing to connect. That’s the beauty of it. That’s other reason, besides cost, that I got rid of the Chord Dave/mscaler. There were so many boxes and cables. I even had battery supply for the mscaler and was considering $1000 plus cables to connect it to the Dave. I didn’t like the rabbit hole I was going down. I prefer simplicity.

The Focal Arche was appealing because it was specifically made the the Focal headphones and had the stand built in. It also happen to sound amazing. The Naim unit takes simplicity even further and includes streamer built in. And if Spotify hifi or Apple’s hires turn out to sound just as good as roon/Qobuz, I may eliminate that too, so the Naim will be completely stand alone. But even using roon, there will be nothing physically connected, besides the headphones. So really easy to move around the house. Now I kind of just wish I had a pair of Stellia’s, so I could use in places that would be too noisy for the Utopia’s.

May 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #273 of 362
My Arche has started feeding back when I plug my Utopias in, I have emailed Focal hoping they can repair the unit.

The Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition does not have a USB input, so I think I will stick with the Arche, but I am interested in how it compares. I just read in a review, "This is not a giant-killing product that’s better than a high end streaming DAC preamp/headphone amplifier – in outright terms, the sound is a little lacking in depth and resolution." - Stereonet

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #274 of 362
My Arche has started feeding back when I plug my Utopias in, I have emailed Focal hoping they can repair the unit.

The Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition does not have a USB input, so I think I will stick with the Arche, but I am interested in how it compares. I just read in a review, "This is not a giant-killing product that’s better than a high end streaming DAC preamp/headphone amplifier – in outright terms, the sound is a little lacking in depth and resolution." - Stereonet

That’s true of the Focal Arche as well but doesn’t take away from my enjoyment. I think I realized I’m not longer interested in chasing the final word in resolution but prefer Prat, pace, rhythm and timing. Something that makes you tap your feet and get into the music. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed the Chord Dave/mscaler, but there were times when you end up listening to the details over the whole thing.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #275 of 362
No, I understand you said it didn’t have connection issues but was pointing out that’s really because there’s nothing to connect. That’s the beauty of it. That’s other reason, besides cost, that I got rid of the Chord Dave/mscaler. There were so many boxes and cables. I even had battery supply for the mscaler and was considering $1000 plus cables to connect it to the Dave. I didn’t like the rabbit hole I was going down. I prefer simplicity.

The Focal Arche was appealing because it was specifically made the the Focal headphones and had the stand built in. It also happen to sound amazing. The Naim unit takes simplicity even further and includes streamer built in. And if Spotify hifi or Apple’s hires turn out to sound just as good as roon/Qobuz, I may eliminate that too, so the Naim will be completely stand alone. But even using roon, there will be nothing physically connected, besides the headphones. So really easy to move around the house. Now I kind of just wish I had a pair of Stellia’s, so I could use in places that would be too noisy for the Utopia’s.
Understood, but if you count toslink as a connection then the Arche did have an issue with that as well, even analogue was an issue for me. No such problems with the Atom HE.

May 30, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #276 of 362
As weird as it may sound, but just recently i've managed to make it connect first time (mostly) by 'jump starting it' with the mac by streaming BBC radio and then connecting the USB plug in. If i tried it with youtube or music on the mac it would just freeze until i unplugged the USB again, that's when i would switch the Arche off and then on again to make it connect.

May 30, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #277 of 362
As weird as it may sound, but just recently i've managed to make it connect first time (mostly) by 'jump starting it' with the mac by streaming BBC radio and then connecting the USB plug in. If i tried it with youtube or music on the mac it would just freeze until i unplugged the USB again, that's when i would switch the Arche off and then on again to make it connect.

Oh, I only thought it had USB connection problems. Only issue I ever had was if I tried to play something when it was in sleep mode by accident and then woke it up, it would just skip thru all the tracks streaming from roon on my Stack Audio Link II. If I unplugged the usb cord and plug back in, it worked. That’s why I shut off sleep mode. I also heard it’s supposed to sound better fully warmed up.

You haven’t said much for how the 2 units compare sound wise. What headphones are you using with them?

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #278 of 362
Oh, I only thought it had USB connection problems. Only issue I ever had was if I tried to play something when it was in sleep mode by accident and then woke it up, it would just skip thru all the tracks streaming from roon on my Stack Audio Link II. If I unplugged the usb cord and plug back in, it worked. That’s why I shut off sleep mode. I also heard it’s supposed to sound better fully warmed up.

You haven’t said much for how the 2 units compare sound wise. What headphones are you using with them?
At first i thought it was only a USB problem, but it was the same for Toslink and even Analogue (i was surprised) but it has been behaving its self just lately (probably jealous of the Naim). :relaxed: The headphones i've been using are the Focal Utopias and that is with the Arche and the Atom HE. As a fair comparison i used a Astell & Kern SP1000 (which i used on the Arche) through the Toslink connection (both units) and it was very close. The Arche and the SP1000 is a lot more expensive option but with the Atom HE it's all there built in, 2 USB's, internet radio with hi-def stations, Air play2 and Tidal and more.:L3000:

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #279 of 362
At first i thought it was only a USB problem, but it was the same for Toslink and even Analogue (i was surprised) but it has been behaving its self just lately (probably jealous of the Naim). :relaxed: The headphones i've been using are the Focal Utopias and that is with the Arche and the Atom HE. As a fair comparison i used a Astell & Kern SP1000 (which i used on the Arche) through the Toslink connection (both units) and it was very close. The Arche and the SP1000 is a lot more expensive option but with the Atom HE it's all there built in, 2 USB's, internet radio with hi-def stations, Air play2 and Tidal and more.:L3000:

Thanks. Normally the Focal Arche would be the cheapest option since it was selling for $1500 with discount and I’m sure I lot of people just hooking straight to pc or cheap RPi.

How does the HE compare on its own vs using the SP1000? I figured having the streamer built in avoids having issues with a poor source and Naim uses a linear power supply as well.

The Focal Arche definitely improves when I hook to my Link II with linear power supply vs directly to my roon core. So would think the SP1000 brings out the best of the Arche as well.

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #280 of 362
If the Atom HE was i out a few years ago, would i choose that with the Arche and the SP1000 over it ? Y'know, i think i probably would, it is that good (to me). But you may totally disagree with me, so it would be advisable to get a demo, yes i did buy it blind, but i have lots of kit that is Naim so i am very familiar and i know the Naim reputation and sound. One thing that is better with the SP1000 is that you can play random tracks of all your albums in its internal and external memory, so it will play for hours without me touching it, whereas the Atom HE will play random tracks of that one album. But you will probably use it differently to me.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #281 of 362
If the Atom HE was i out a few years ago, would i choose that with the Arche and the SP1000 over it ? Y'know, i think i would, it is that good (to me). But you may totally disagree with me, so it would be advisable to get a demo, yes i did buy it blind, but i have lots of kit that is Naim so i know the Naim reputation and sound. One thing that is better with the SP1000 is that you can play random tracks of all your albums in its internal and external memory, so it will play for hours without me touching it, whereas the Atom HE will play random tracks of that one album. But you will probably use it differently to me.
Thanks. That’s good to know. Mine should be here today and I’ll probably use it with roon, so I believe that has random function to play all my favorited albums. Can’t say I’ve every tried this. Also plan to use with Spotify Connect once they release their hifi version. Prefer their catalog over Qobuz and their personalized playlists.

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #282 of 362
Thanks. That’s good to know. Mine should be here today and I’ll probably use it with roon, so I believe that has random function to play all my favorited albums. Can’t say I’ve every tried this. Also plan to use with Spotify Connect once they release their hifi version. Prefer their catalog over Qobuz and their personalized playlists.
Looking forward to what you think. But it will change a little as you run it in, mine is still running in.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #283 of 362
Looking forward to what you think. But it will change a little as you run it in, mine is still running in.

Just got mine about an hour ago. Took me awhile to figure out how to pair the remote.

So I’ll start with the sound. I’m going to give a slight nod to the Focal Arche. It seems to have a slightly sweeter sound. Keep in mind the Naim is new and only running an hour. Also when I ended up switching back to the Focal Arche and then to the Naim I didn’t notice that much difference in sound I thought I would. The Naim seems to have a thicker, slightly darker sound and little bit less depth. It’s all very subtle.

Now as far as how it functions compared to the Focal Arche is another story. Seeing the album art on the front is really nice and can still see from 6 feet away. I’m using the balanced out on the back and not an issue since have 10 ft Danacable. I can see why they put it on the back. Looking at the Focal Arche, the balance socket is ugly if don’t have headphone plugged in. The Naim has a showroom quality to it.

Switching between roon, Spotify, Apple Music, and the built in radio feature is a breeze. Even with unit in standby mode started up when I started playing from roon. Roon gave a message that may take a moment as system is starting. Spotify instantly found the Naim and so did Apple Music. Look forward to lossless on those services. The best think is the remote can play/pause/skip track forward and back. The volume shows on the remote in San eway the top has those lights and the display switch to big numbers to see volume. Room volume shows same and can change from there as well.

Overall I’m very happy and think I’ll warm up to the sound.

Just realized changing the volume on the iPhone while playing Spotify, changes the volume on the Naim. Also controls work from lock position. Surprisingly that sound is actually pretty good even without lossless.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #284 of 362
I had no trouble pairing, it was exactly the same as with the NDX 2. When you first switched it on, did it not tell you to press the home button on the remote to pair for 3 seconds ? Anyway, it may alter in sound a little as you go.... enjoy.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #285 of 362
I had no trouble pairing, it was exactly the same as with the NDX 2. When you first switched it on, did it not tell you to press the home button on the remote to pair for 3 seconds ? Anyway, it may alter in sound a little as you go.... enjoy.

Yes, I knew to hold the home button for 3 seconds but then read to actually bring the remote to the front of the screen and that did the trick.

So I don’t know if it just needed to warm up but I played this album I’ve heard a lot that has really good bass and rich mids and sounded great on the Naim. The album is “The Party” by Andy Shauf. I also compared roon against Qobuz playing from Naim itself. They sounded just about the same with maybe roon sounding better. Didn’t care much for Naim’s Qobuz interface. Kind of slow.

I wasn’t sure if should be posting all about the Naim in the Focal Arche thread but it’s actually about comparing to others in similar price range. And mentioned Focal Arche could cost more with expensive transport or streamer especially if someone paid full price of $2500. I plan to put mine up for sale at a very good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back