Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #211 of 362
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #213 of 362
Have a pair of Stellia, would like to hear this combination. Anyone use this pairing currently?
Are you asking for someone that has the Stellia / Arche combo? I've had this up and running for a couple of months now. My only comparison is to a portable Teac Amp and the Meridian Prime Headphone Amp with Prime Power Supply. The Arche has a bit more presence(full and tight) below 100hz than the Prime.(As you know the Stellia performs amazing well in the low end) The Prime with MQA content from Tidal has an edge over the Arche in my opinion. This is of course really a function of the DAC. Overall, if I could only have one headphone amp with my Stellia I'd go with the Arche. It would be interesting to try some other DAC combinations, however, I don't believe the Arche/Stellia combo for a Class A Amp can be beat at this price point. I plan to demo some tube equipment in the future and will have more data to share at that time.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #216 of 362
Just bought it and listening to it now. I also had handshake problem resolved by disconnecting and then reconnecting the USB. I didn't upgrade firmware - I just downloaded the USB driver for Windows 10.

Initial impression with the Focal Clear: mind blowing! Previously I was using the Burson Conductor 3x (with Peter's Equalizer APO settings for the Clear). With the Arche (low gain, Clear amplifier profile) and without the equalizer, the sound is already impressive. Wished I had bought the Arche when it was AUD$500 cheaper a couple of weeks before, but at AUD$2300 (USD$1800), I reckon it's totally worth it.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #217 of 362
I've had mine for a week and as others have mentioned, the synergy with the Clear is just THAT good. Also loving it with the Elegia. Been going between Voltage mode and Elegia profile..not sure what my preference is yet.
Whilst is definitely up there price wise, it really is very impressive.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #218 of 362
Nine days in for me with my bundle purchase of Arche + Clear Pros as my desktop rig and the handshake problem is now non-existent, apart from an initial first morning glitch it just works fine no matter which order I turn things on. It is a bit flakey - having gone into standby probably three times when I'm changing a setting but no big deal.

I'm not sure whether I prefer the specific Clear amplifier setting (with my Clears) or the Hybrid setting. There isn't much in it so I'll probably stay with the Hybrid setting as that is the best setting with my Hifiman Anandas, so it saves me having to change anything when I change headphones.

The A class amplifier of the Arche is superb with the Anandas as it has a slight tube-like presentation. I also love it with the Clears but for me it's not so clear cut over other options I have with the Clears (pardon the pun). They definitely sound slightly cleaner with both my RME ADI-2, which resides in my living room and my Topping D70/L30 combo, which is probably going to be eventually sold, but it is splitting hairs and it all comes down to the "flavour" you prefer. I'm happy to rotate my two favourite headphones through the convenience of the one box Arche when I'm at my computer.

I still can't believe how much I paid for this bundle compared to the previous retail price......I do love a bargain :L3000:

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #221 of 362
The Arche kind of reminds me of an Alfa Romeo I used to own - I loved that car and still miss it despite it's flaws. The Arche is also somewhat problematic/flakey despite it's prowess:
  • I encountered handshake issues for the 2nd time a couple of days ago and then the issue just disappeared again.
  • The unit has gone into standby on two or three occasions when changing settings and a couple of times from just touching it. This is accompanied by a very small static charge.
  • I have received a static electricity shock to the top of my left ear on three separate occasions when I have my Anandas plugged in. It is quite a decent shock and is obviously the discharge of a buildup of static It scares the living daylights out of me each time :scream:
I love the pairing of my Hifiman Anandas with the Arche, as a particular pairing - even more than that of the Clears. The static shock issue does not happen when using the Anandas with my RME ADI-2 or Topping L30. Interestingly, it hasn't happened with the Clears plugged into the Arche. Maybe it's a planar thing?

Anyway, I've removed a fabric item that the headphone cables were running over to see if this solves the static buildup issue.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #222 of 362
I was getting quite a lot of static vibration when touching the unit and I swapped out the IEC cable and it's been perfect since. Might be worth a try!

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #223 of 362
I was getting quite a lot of static vibration when touching the unit and I swapped out the IEC cable and it's been perfect since. Might be worth a try!
Thanks - I'll try that.

At the moment my iMac and Arche are plugged into two separate power outlets, so I think I'll power them from the same power strip to see if that makes a difference as well.

Mar 28, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #224 of 362
What's the difference between Voltage and Hybrid?
In my experience with the Stellia and Arche, Voltage has slightly higher output than Hybrid and skews the emphasis a bit more to the upper frequencies.

I actually found some test bench data on the different amp settings in this review:
https://www.whathifi.com/au/reviews/focal-arche

Quote:
To four significant figures at nine different measurement criteria, the Voltage output setting was unique, while the Hybrid and Elear settings were the same, and the Utopia, Clear, Elegia and Stellia settings were the same. It was with the Voltage setting that the internal impedance of the Focal Arche was around 2.5Ω. With the Hybrid and Elear settings, it was around 10Ω. With the Utopia et al setting it was around 17.5Ω.

Based on the 1/8 rule where the supposed ideal amp output impedance should be a ratio no higher than 1/8 of the headphone impedance, the voltage setting should be the most accurate - ie. giving a true representation of what my 55Ω Clears sound like. Assuming the hybrid and specific Clear setting are similar at around 10Ω then the ratio is 1/5.5. So what does this mean in real terms? Well I'm no expert but it probably means some sort of boost to the mids and attenuation of the highs, how much is anyone's guess but it's not as if the ratios are miles apart and for those of us who have played around with the different amp settings the difference between the voltage and other settings is certainly audible in the highs, with the non-voltage settings giving a more tube-like sound.

It's interesting that Focal's specific headphone settings on the Arche are designed to attenuate the highs of their own headphone. Is it some sort of "fix" for increased high frequencies or are their products designed for higher output impedances? At the end of the day - who cares? As we all know, perfect measurements don't always sound better but if you are anything like me, it's nice to know why something behaves the way it does.

Happy listening :)

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #225 of 362
I actually found some test bench data on the different amp settings in this review:
https://www.whathifi.com/au/reviews/focal-arche

Quote:
To four significant figures at nine different measurement criteria, the Voltage output setting was unique, while the Hybrid and Elear settings were the same, and the Utopia, Clear, Elegia and Stellia settings were the same. It was with the Voltage setting that the internal impedance of the Focal Arche was around 2.5Ω. With the Hybrid and Elear settings, it was around 10Ω. With the Utopia et al setting it was around 17.5Ω.

Based on the 1/8 rule where the supposed ideal amp output impedance should be a ratio no higher than 1/8 of the headphone impedance, the voltage setting should be the most accurate - ie. giving a true representation of what my 55Ω Clears sound like. Assuming the hybrid and specific Clear setting are similar at around 10Ω then the ratio is 1/5.5. So what does this mean in real terms? Well I'm no expert but it probably means some sort of boost to the mids and attenuation of the highs, how much is anyone's guess but it's not as if the ratios are miles apart and for those of us who have played around with the different amp settings the difference between the voltage and other settings is certainly audible in the highs, with the non-voltage settings giving a more tube-like sound.

It's interesting that Focal's specific headphone settings on the Arche are designed to attenuate the highs of their own headphone. Is it some sort of "fix" for increased high frequencies or are their products designed for higher output impedances? At the end of the day - who cares? As we all know, perfect measurements don't always sound better but if you are anything like me, it's nice to know why something behaves the way it does.

Happy listening :)

This might explain with a like the Arche so much with the Utopia’s. It seems to give a warmer sound, tube like sound with the Utopia setting.

I just tried the voltage setting for the first time, and it’s a brighter, slightly drier sound. Didn’t find it as musical. Reminds me of my experience with the Hugo 2. And even with the Chord Dave, I needed to keep the HF (high frequency) filter on to give a slightly warmer sound.

This could also be why you see so much praise for the Utopia and tube amps. Maybe the highs needs just a little taming. I haven’t heard any of the other Focal headphone, not sure if they have same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back