Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
Mar 13, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #196 of 362
With your testing, how you would compare the DAC's between the Arche & ADI-2/Qutest?

Well, as you know there is an objective train of thought that all DACs sound the same and I subscribe to this theory maybe 70% based on my experience. The exceptions so far for me have been R2R and multibit type DACs. For example, I could not tell the difference between the DAC in my RME ADI-2 and a Topping D70 in both sighted & blind testing - they both use AKM chips, albeit different versions. I have also found it hard to pick any difference between AKM & ESS Sabre DACS in the past but I swear that listener fatigue kicks in much earlier with the Sabres.

Anyway, the Qutest is different to my ears and as I said previously has a cleaner and tighter mid bass compared to the DAC in my RME and I think the high mids and highs have a smoother presentation to them without losing any clarity or detail, in fact the Qutest might actually be better at fleshing those details out.

So on to my limited comparison with the Arche, where I found exactly the same. The problem is that so much depends on the track you are listening to and there were times when I preferred both of them. Sometimes the bass of the Qutest sounded better - punchier & cleaner and sometimes that bit of bass bloom in the Arche sounded really nice and the Qutest sounded a little dry & sterile in comparison. With the Arche on the the Clear amplifier setting, I find it somewhat tube amp-like and that it makes the highs smoother and darker than the voltage setting, I probably preferred using the Arche DAC here. Full disclosure though, I do use some subtle EQ with the Clear amplifier setting:

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 8.59.35 am.png

Anyway, I couldn't say that one was significantly better than the other, so the one box solution won out - I put the Qutest back in the cupboard for now. The days of me comparing equipment for days on end and looking for minute detail differences that are more often than not - imagined, are long gone. I think Focal has done a great job with the Arche apart from the handshake & firmware issues.

On a different topic......I solved the problem with the sharp metal feet. I just stuck the supplied pads on to them with a dab of super glue :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #197 of 362
Well, as you know there is an objective train of thought that all DACs sound the same and I subscribe to this theory maybe 70% based on my experience. The exceptions so far for me have been R2R and multibit type DACs. For example, I could not tell the difference between the DAC in my RME ADI-2 and a Topping D70 in both sighted & blind testing - they both use AKM chips, albeit different versions. I have also found it hard to pick any difference between AKM & ESS Sabre DACS in the past but I swear that listener fatigue kicks in much earlier with the Sabres.

Anyway, the Qutest is different to my ears and as I said previously has a cleaner and tighter mid bass compared to the DAC in my RME and I think the high mids and highs have a smoother presentation to them without losing any clarity or detail, in fact the Qutest might actually be better at fleshing those details out.

So on to my limited comparison with the Arche, where I found exactly the same. The problem is that so much depends on the track you are listening to and there were times when I preferred both of them. Sometimes the bass of the Qutest sounded better - punchier & cleaner and sometimes that bit of bass bloom in the Arche sounded really nice and the Qutest sounded a little dry & sterile in comparison. With the Arche on the the Clear amplifier setting, I find it somewhat tube amp-like and that it makes the highs smoother and darker than the voltage setting, I probably preferred using the Arche DAC here. Full disclosure though, I do use some subtle EQ with the Clear amplifier setting:

Anyway, I couldn't say that one was significantly better than the other, so the one box solution won out - I put the Qutest back in the cupboard for now. The days of me comparing equipment for days on end and looking for minute detail differences that are more often than not - imagined, are long gone. I think Focal has done a great job with the Arche apart from the handshake & firmware issues.

On a different topic......I solved the problem with the sharp metal feet. I just stuck the supplied pads on to them with a dab of super glue :L3000:
Thanks for the info. I kind of went down the rabbit hole with Chord dacs, so was pleasantly shocked I could enjoy the Focal Arche so much. I thought once you reach endgame equipment, it would be hard to come back down. Once I’m finally back in the office, I still may pick up a Chord mojo. But for home setup, think I’m good with the Arche and Utopia. If Focal comes out with a new amp/dac, I’d be curious but not going to run out and buy it. Have to have some really good feedback.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #198 of 362
I had the same idea.

I have a balanced cable on the way from here but it probably won't arrive for a week or so.
What am I missing here? The balanced connections on the Arche are for output only. Do you plan to use a different amp and leverage the Arche DAC?

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #200 of 362
The balanced headphone out

Focal_Arche_-_Front_1024.jpeg
That is what I didn't understand. You are simply referring to a balanced cable to the headphones from the Arche. In reading the posts I thought you were looking to use a different DAC and run the outputs from that to the Arche over balanced cables vs. RCA in order to leverage the amp. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the diversion.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #201 of 362

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 8.59.35 am.png

Nice! Thanks for sharing :) I could definitely tell the difference from when I moved from my Opppo HA-2 ESS Sabre DAC to a Topping DX3 Pro AKM. Definitely less fatiguing!
Hey what is that EQ program you shared the screenshot for? I really like the interface and layout - looks great!
Only early days for me with the Clear so haven't been wanting to EQ just yet. Cool to see what you've tweaked though.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #202 of 362
That is what I didn't understand. You are simply referring to a balanced cable to the headphones from the Arche. In reading the posts I thought you were looking to use a different DAC and run the outputs from that to the Arche over balanced cables vs. RCA in order to leverage the amp. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the diversion.
No problem :relaxed:

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #203 of 362
Hey what is that EQ program you shared the screenshot for? I really like the interface and layout - looks great!
Only early days for me with the Clear so haven't been wanting to EQ just yet. Cool to see what you've tweaked though.

It's Toneboosters Equalizer 4 for IOS and it's only available as a plugin, I use it as plugin with Audirvana. It's REALLY good.

EQ varies by user preference and the Clears are very good but the one EQ tweak I think is a necessity if you have the means to do it is the cut at around 1300 Hz. It takes away the "honkyness" with voices that is obvious on some tracks more than others. For example I was listening to Soul Mining by The The yesterday and was switching back and forth between flat and the 1300 Hz cut and the difference is very pronounced, without EQ Matt Johnson sounds nasally like he's singing with a cold.

Edit: I also think that cut takes away some of the tendency for playback to sound a bit metallic as some have reported. It's interesting because all the frequency response graphs for the Clears show a large bump between 1 kHz & 2 kHz and that's exactly the opposite with my Anandas that show a similar sized dip in the same sort of area:

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 4.24.36 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 4.25.17 pm.png

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #205 of 362
Just tried to plug my iPhone in via camera connector kit and AudioQuest cinnamon to the Arche and received this?
Any ideas as surely I can play direct to the Arche?

D7FD9733-ADBB-47D1-BB0E-B49CF401A8C3.png

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #206 of 362
Just tried to plug my iPhone in via camera connector kit and AudioQuest cinnamon to the Arche and received this?
Any ideas as surely I can play direct to the Arche?

Just taking a guess but are you using the camera connector without the power input? You might to use one that also has lightning connector and plug it in.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #207 of 362
Just taking a guess but are you using the camera connector without the power input? You might to use one that also has lightning connector and plug it in.
This. Just use the powered connector and it'll work.

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #208 of 362
I wanted to post about how much a streamer can affect the usb input on the Focal Arche. I recently added a linear power supply to my Stack Audio Link II and that really improved things. It got rid of the RFI that was making things a little bright and edgy. Now the bass has more presence in the mix but is completely controlled. Vocals are smooth and soundstage is more open.

I just tried playing the same song hooked up directly to my Intel Nuc roon core and it was surprisingly different for the worst. With the streamer, I was noticing how much I was enjoying the song and following the bass lines. But with the Nuc, you hear shaper, edgy vocals. The song is somewhat fatiguing. It was enough of a difference that I probably would be praising the Focsl Arche as much as I do.

Before this setup, I had the Chord Dave/mscaler and those have galvanized usb connection and claim source doesn’t matter but streamer still brought the same benefits. I don’t think the Arche is galvanized, so having a clean source is probably more important. Not sure how it handles optical input, since that is normally not recommended due to jitter but might not be an issue with today’s modern dacs. Chord are supposed to be jitter free regardless of the source.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #209 of 362

sorry guys can you help me here.. this is the connector kit im using, are we saying this is not correct, and if so what should i be using?
ssssssssss.png

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #210 of 362
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back