Foam Tips
Feb 25, 2010 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
I got the Comply foam tips I was recommended, and they have worked great.

I noticed once I used the tips, the foam got warm and soft. Ok, i guess that's normal.

2 weeks in, they are starting to stay soft, and like silicone tips, move towards exiting my ear.. Now the foams haven't actually fallen out yet, but I've been caught pushing them again. Silicone tips ALWAYS fell out of my ears.

Is that when the other pair of tips need to be used? Since the package comes with 3 tips. The box said 3 months per tip, but I'm only in 2 weeks.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 16
Olives are a different kind of material. I'm not sure what they use but you do not really have to compress them put it in your ear and then wait for it to go back into original shape. You can just put it in the ear and go.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 16
My first pair of mod'ed olive (for TF10) still looks very decent after almost 3 years now. A little rinsing under water from time to time keeps it in good shape. Comply is very comfortable but it just doesn't last very long. I usually get about a month out of each pair.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 16
They are expensive yes but to some people like them. They can be due to sound or fit. I do not like the comply much and rather use silicon tips but its up to preference. To some they are worth the money and to others (like myself) they are not.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 16
I love the black foam tips from the NE7M. Are they anything like the olives?

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 16
To get some more life out of Complys, wash them in hydrogen peroxide. Cleans them and restores their elasticity. Usually they are good for a few washes. Whatever you do, don't just through them out without a few washes unless they are damaged. That makes them a much better value than simply disposing of them.

And as far as I know, yes, the NE7M foam tips are similar to the Olives.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastywordz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it true that you can damage your IE8's if you try to remove the comply tips? is it worth the risk?

Yes, it is possible, but if you are extra careful and use T-500 tips instead of T-400 tips there are lesser chances of damage occurring.

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 16
Hi mmd8x28
smily_headphones1.gif

Just like you, silicones are useless for me, they fall from my ears unacceptably fast, so I've decided that for me foamies are the way to go.

Given the price of Comply foams, getting only two (or even four) weeks of use per pair sounds very expensive and uncomfortable too.

I'm experimenting with foam ear plugs to build my own foam tips and right now my only problem is that the process is a bit complex and error prone, but at 0,22 EUR a pair I think it is worth the effort. I bought them in a shop that sold all kind of protection equipment for work. Obviously they sell hearing protection equipment and, among that equipment, foam earplugs. These ones I've bought isolate 37dB, so they are sturdy enough to be cut and holed.

I built my first pair of tips, which are by no means perfect in manufacture, a couple of weeks ago. The thing is that they work, are comfortable, I've washed them without damaging them and they haven't lost their elasticity.

So far the only problem is finding a cutting'n'drilling method that is easy, repeatable and that gives good results, although in my experience you can cut the foams with a pair of scissors, which give a very ugly cut and leaves the foams with a ugly shape, but it works. As for the hole, I use a hole puncher, compressing the tip before making the hole, and although the hole is usually not very straight, it works perfectly.

Of course, these tips are much softer than Shure olives, Marshmallow foamies, etc. but they work, are cheap enough to discard them even weekly (although they will last much, much longer), you don't have to be specially careful when handling them, etc. And for me, are more comfortable than Shure olives, although other peoples mileage may vary
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back