FM Transmitters?
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Xelorz

New Head-Fier
How reliable are these? It'd be really nice to make use of MP3 player in my car and I was wondering if using a transmitter was a decent option. I've heard some of them are really sketchy, are there any recommended brands? Is there any other relatively cheap options to playing an MP3 in my car?

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 15
See if your car stereo has a line in, that would be a more reliable, and better sounding option. Some have a dedicated one on the back, others have one as part of a cd-changer interface, or you could even consider swapping it out for one with a line in.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 15
Using a Griffen iTrip with an iPod video. The quality is just poor, yes you can get sound through to a nearby radio but it's usually not worthwhile if you expect to enjoy it. For talk stuff, audiobooks etc it's not so bad but music is dull and lifeless. Thankfully I was given mine though if I had paid for it i would have been very dissapointed, as it is its an interesting little toy and no more.

Andy

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 15
I had one for my iPod and it was terrible. It did transmit, as advertised, but the sound was awful. You have to jack an iPod into the radio for decent performance.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Not all of them are bad. I have one called the RoadTrip from Newertech. It's probably the best $15 I've ever spent. It's cheap, simple (only transmits to 87.9), and works perfectly. I got mine a while ago so I don't know if they still make it, but I highly recommend one if you can find it. Just make sure that you get the one that transmits to 87.9.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 15
I too gave up on FM transmitters after buying two versions of the Belkin Tunecast. However, I found this amazing piece of equipment:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4694330

comes with iPod and normal 1/8" stereo adapters. It has the best transmission quality of any I have tried (there is no hiss present until i have my car volume at around 75% with the iPod lineout), and it restored my faith in FM transmitters. Currently been using it for about 7 months no problems. I just wish they made a version that ran on batteries.

Make sure it's the IPTRNSX if you do buy it, the older version sucks.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 15
http://www.amazon.com/iRiver-AFT-100...3672543&sr=8-1

iriver aft-100: i heard is one of the better fm transmitters available. It plugs into the car power socket. You can pick which station to transmit to. The only drawback is that it shuts off after 30 seconds of silence (which thinks the source is off) - so then your radio starts playing static suddenly. its a little more expensive too.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Another thing to consider is where you live/commute. In the Bay Area, FM transmitters were just useless. Total frequency saturation, which led to frequent intermittent static.

Out in the sticks, they work great for me.

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelorz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How reliable are these? It'd be really nice to make use of MP3 player in my car and I was wondering if using a transmitter was a decent option. I've heard some of them are really sketchy, are there any recommended brands? Is there any other relatively cheap options to playing an MP3 in my car?

I have a Belkin TuneFM and I'm reasonably happy with it... there is no question that line-in or tape adapter solutions are better, but I certainly wouldn't call what I'm using now a complete waste of time. I live in a major city and I had no trouble picking a station.

You might want to look at buying a new head unit with line in. Where I am, Sony is selling one for $90CAD. The tuneFM is $50CAD.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelorz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmai...cription=iTrip

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 15
i feel lucky to have a tape deck in my car! i use the tape adapter although the sound quality isnt THAT good (my car stereo sucks anyway, so it really doesnt matter) but it is way better then any FX transmitter i've heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back