FM Radio for iPod
Jan 23, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 15
Curious. The FM radio is controlled via the wired remote control, which has a headphone output yet the signal is taken from the bottom port. You can control the volume from the remote.

What I wonder is: will the sound from the remote (being via the dock connector) be akin to the quality of a line out rather than a headphone out? I ask because using my super.fi 5 pros I can hear a lot of hiss from the headphone out and I'm wanting to lessen it by using the lineout + PA2V2 (ordered the Sendstation which arrives tomorrow). However if the iPod remote acts as a line out I'd rather go through that (as it eliminates the need for the PA2V2 and keeps my setup more mobile). However the fact that you can control the volume from the remote worries me: will it be a true line out or just a glorified version of the headphone out (with audible hiss)?

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Actually it's a remote that connects to the dock connector with a headphone output on it, but it is required to have FM radio on the 5Gs. I don't know if this means the software is in the iPod but it requires the wired remote to be "enabled" or if the software is in the remote, but it's most definitely a remote that controls not just the radio, but also music and whatever else is on the iPod.

I don't think you can link directly to Apple (as the first link is expired) but if you just go to store.apple.com and click on iPod accessories you should find it.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 15
I believe the tuner ASIC is built in to the remote. RDS is nice. Wonder if the pick-up is as mediocre as other DAPs. I do wish they offered a 5G remote without radio but £35 is not going to kill me. Or are other companies planning to come out with simple non-radio remotes?

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 15
Totally, a DAP with satellite radio built in (that records broadcasts too, on the fly) would be freakin' sweet, although a line input that could interface with a powered mic would suit me better, I like to record stuff...

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Totally, a DAP with satellite radio built in (that records broadcasts too, on the fly) would be freakin' sweet, although a line input that could interface with a powered mic would suit me better, I like to record stuff...

580smile.gif
Abe

They have those satellite recievers that are portable and can store music.
Anyone try them ?
Here's one : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093468786483

Jan 24, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
They have those satellite recievers that are portable and can store music.
Anyone try them ?
Here's one : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093468786483

I haven't tried the one linked, but I get the feeling it would be somewhat disappointing. Only five hours of storage and I can't recieve music while I'm actually on the go, doesn't seem too great to me- yet. They can definitely improve upon this.

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 15
Man - I am so tempted to go out and buy this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back