FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #436 of 1,039
Question guys does USA have to pay vat for those who bought it?
I imagine they would just pay their state sales tax at the border. They would be our case in Canada.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #437 of 1,039
You only have to pay VAT going to the US if you buy from China. Ukraine is exempt. Canada is part of the Commonwealth so you have VAT of about 12%.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #438 of 1,039
nope, just shipping plus for me a $63 paypal fee (i have no idea why), but, not the normal 11% tax bc it came from Europe.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #439 of 1,039
You only have to pay VAT going to the US if you buy from China. Ukraine is exempt. Canada is part of the Commonwealth so you have VAT of about 12%.
We don't have anything called VAT. Our tax is called the HST and varies by province.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #440 of 1,039
We don't have anything called VAT. Our tax is called the HST and varies by province.
Right. They call it different things in different country. It’s a tariff.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #441 of 1,039
Right. They call it different things in different country. It’s a tariff.
It is a sales tax and has nothing to do with us being part of the Commonwealth.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #442 of 1,039
It is a sales tax and has nothing to do with us being part of the Commonwealth.
Must be my misunderstanding then. I thought that: VAT by definition is the taxes borne by the buyer when importing from outside VAT zones while sales tax is borne by the manufacturer usually within that zone.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #443 of 1,039
Must be my misunderstanding then. VAT by definition is the taxes borne by the buyer when importing from outside VAT zones while sales tax is borne by the manufacturer usually within that zone.
Not sure what country you are in, but when you buy stuff in Canada and the US you pay sales tax on your purchase, if your state or province charges it. If you purchase/import from outside of Canada, you pay that tax at the border.
I assume, or I could be wrong, that Americans do the same.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #444 of 1,039
Not sure what country you are in, but when you buy stuff in Canada and the US you pay sales tax on your purchase, if your state or province charges it. If you purchase/import from outside of Canada, you pay that tax at the border.
I assume, or I could be wrong, that Americans do the same.
We have states that pay no sales taxes. We also have selective tariffs so there are countries we do 0 tax trades. There are also tax loop holes intentionally built into the system.

Like I could buy a Susvara from HifiMan but pay 0 sales tax and 0 import tax because HifiMan claim 0 sales tax since they are based in China and 0 import tax because their item is already in the USA.

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #445 of 1,039
We have states that pay no sales taxes. We also have selective tariffs so there are countries we do 0 tax trades. There are also tax loop holes intentionally built into the system.

Like I could buy a Susvara from HifiMan but pay 0 sales tax and 0 import tax because HifiMan claim 0 sales tax since they are based in China and 0 import tax because their item is already in the USA.
Are you saying that Americans can buy HiFiman headphones tax free because they are from China? That makes no sense.

Many of us have bought from China and not paid any tax because the Chinese under-report the value. In Canada we do not pay any import taxes when the value is under $100.00. Not worth the effort I guess, for the small amount.

You have wandered quite far from your original incorrect post and I can see this nonsense will go all night if I let it.

To confirm and close this conversation:

1) Canada is indeed part of the Commonwealth

2) We do not have a VAT (Value Added Tax).

3) We do have an HST (Harmonized Sales Tax).

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #446 of 1,039
They're called loopholes for a reason.
Most stores online charge sales tax (typically 8-12%)- a few stores (like Hifiman .com) don't charge sales tax at all because they arent based in the United States, but, also don't have a duty to pay because the product is already stateside.

Up until around 2019 or so even Amazon didnt charge sales tax bc their inventory was stored in certain tax haven states and other loopholes but Congress closed some of those loopholes and now they charge it.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #447 of 1,039
What kind of XLR interconnects do you pair with Mentor? Based on a recommendation from Flux I will go for Neotech Nemoi 3220 (OCC copper flat) cable. I will let it custom build. Just deciding whether it makes sense to pair with just standard Neotech NC 06612 XLR connectors or if pairing with some higher-level connectors like Aeco 1060g or Neotech Nex OCC GD would make a significant difference (the last one does not make financial sense I guess).
Probably this is for nothing, but maybe with this setup I will finally start hearing cable differences :), if so don't want to risk anything.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #448 of 1,039
What kind of XLR interconnects do you pair with Mentor? Based on a recommendation from Flux I will go for Neotech Nemoi 3220 (OCC copper flat) cable. I will let it custom build. Just deciding whether it makes sense to pair with just standard Neotech NC 06612 XLR connectors or if pairing with some higher-level connectors like Aeco 1060g or Neotech Nex OCC GD would make a significant difference (the last one does not make financial sense I guess).
Probably this is for nothing, but maybe with this setup I will finally start hearing cable differences :), if so don't want to risk anything.
The cable thing is a bit ridiculous for me. I can understand IEM cables and I can even hear differences between headphone cables but the improvement is ever so slight for me.

Unless whoever made the interconnect and power cables absolutely failed, it shouldn’t make any different in sounds because my Amp has chokes that store power. It’s not my sound will be any better just because the power came from water falling down a mountain, passed across a large pristine forest, bathed in the snow laced mountain air, and then routed to my house.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #449 of 1,039
I went with Arctic Cables and a custom order for their Aperion cable to just be done with it. 15.5 gauge effectively of OCC copper and that's all I'll ever be needing for a while 👍. Also got a separate custom order of the same cable but dual 3-pin XLR female to 4-pin XLR male to listen to other amps with the same cables. Those cables all have AECO 1060-R connectors.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #450 of 1,039
I went with Arctic Cables and a custom order for their Aperion cable to just be done with it. 15.5 gauge effectively of OCC copper and that's all I'll ever be needing for a while 👍. Also got a separate custom order of the same cable but dual 3-pin XLR female to 4-pin XLR male to listen to other amps with the same cables. Those cables all have AECO 1060-R connectors.
Wait, I thought the flux needed dual male 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR Female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back