FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #256 of 1,039
Didn't know that a single Mentor is not a true balanced amp. Thanks for the info Ichos.
Where did you get that it’s not a true balance amp? It only has balanced 3 pin and 4 pin XLR output. It becomes a mono output when you pair it. Otherwise what’s the point of a 3 pin XLR in a single amp?

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #257 of 1,039
Where did you get that it’s not a true balance amp? It only has balanced 3 pin and 4 pin XLR output. It becomes a mono output when you pair it. Otherwise what’s the point of a 3 pin XLR in a single amp?
I read this from Ichos's post.

@DisalvoA992

Each triangle is a power amplifier. Let's start by reminding that the Mentor is a dual mono amplifier and not balanced. It accepts single ended and balanced inputs and delivers a single ended output. The 4-pin XLR plug is for convenience. Not balanced output.

So in a single Mentor you have left and right channels amplifiers each one with its own transformer and power supply.

Dual Mentors are a fully balanced configuration.
One Mentor is the amplifier of the left channel and the other of the right in a balanced mode. So we have four power amplifiers. (Four triangles)

Left Mentor amplifies L+ and L-. Right Mentor amplifies R+ and R-. Each component of the stereo signal has its own transformer and power supply. Four of them as a whole.

Left Mentor delivers L+, L- and ground in a 3-pin XLR plug. Right Mentor delivers R+, R- and ground in a 3-pin XLR plug.

6F9743F5-0CBF-40C2-A864-F9CE6A5750DB.gif

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #258 of 1,039
Let's get this straight for one last time:

The Mentor is a dual mono headphone amplifier with single ended only output. Thus the Flux Lab Acoustics website provides only one output rating and not different numbers for single ended and balanced out.

The dual Mentors stuck is a fully balanced and fully dual mono (actually quadruple mono!) headphone amplifier with balanced only output. No single ended.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #259 of 1,039
My worry is for the IEMs. The power rating on the Mentor on balanced is meant for speakers and on dual Mono is meant for large stage speakers. Is there built in protection or are we just feeding our IEMs to the Mentor till we find the only survivor?
Too much ass on the Flux Labs Mentor Stereo version as it is, I wouldn't ever tried them with IEMs, you make a single mistake, forget that you have it on high gain and the volume knob it's just a little bit high and poof goes your IEMs and/or ears, triple as much for the mono versions, I would be super nervous using that much power going through IEMs, it's almost like connecting them to a speaker amp.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #260 of 1,039
I would like it if someone can A/B the flux mentor vs MJ3 at CanJam with the Susvara or a tungsten. I would love to support companies from Ukraine, but I don’t want redundant amps that I won’t be using.

My Jot2 has 3 times the Wattage of the MJ3 and can drive the Susvara to loud at only 11 o’clock but has no chance when comparing sound quality to the MJ3.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #261 of 1,039
Man you are a prime candidate to just snag a paired stack of Mentors.
I think a day after you posted this, I went to test the cables because I now have a compatible pair to use with those cables and one of them isn't producing sound 🤣💔. Not gonna lie, I probably am indeed blowing $3000 for a pair of Mentors after the replacement cable and the Tungstens get here.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #262 of 1,039
I think a day after you posted this, I went to test the cables because I now have a compatible pair to use with those cables and one of them isn't producing sound 🤣💔. Not gonna lie, I probably am indeed blowing $3000 for a pair of Mentors after the replacement cable and the Tungstens get here.
Cheers, Mate!
I've always wanted to rock a pair of mono-blocks. Doing it with Flux Mentors just for a pair of headphones is absolutely delicious.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #263 of 1,039
Hey guys, check the little brother of the Mentor.
Here I present you the Flux M-Field.

IMG-20240219-WA0000.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flux-m-field-class-a-mosfet-headphone-amplifier.971785/post-17980220

I wonder if there any discount for existing Mentor stack owners :laughing:? All joking aside - as curious as I am about the Mentor's evil twin, I'm pretty sure I would have bought the Mentor too if I had a choice between the two. I can't imagine a better counterpart to my tube amplifiers. Mentor was a perfect choice, I´m still in honeymoon.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #264 of 1,039
I always wobdered, if you have to order the monoblock pair from the start, why do both units keep the volume control and all levers?

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #265 of 1,039
I always wobdered, if you have to order the monoblock pair from the start, why do both units keep the volume control and all levers?
Technically you could buy them separately (provided you have the mono inputs) , but, you'd run the risk of them not being perfectly volume matched , which, since there's a slave/master situation going on might be quite annoying. Now, you could of course correct that with some slight software volume channel adjustments, but, it'd drive me nuts.

More specifically to your question it might be useful to be able to sell them individually or as a pair.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #266 of 1,039
Technically you could buy them separately (provided you have the mono inputs) , but, you'd run the risk of them not being perfectly volume matched , which, since theirs a slave/master situation going on might be quite annoying. Now, you could of course correct that with some slight software volume channel adjustments, but, it'd drive me nuts.

More specifically to your question it might be useful to be able to sell them individually or as a pair.
Hello guys, I have read this comment and didn't seem right to me so I contacted Flux team for a technically correct answer.

Here is what they responded:

FLUX guarantees an absolutely identical volume level between the two units, even if the second unit is purchased much later. The differences may be primarily due to the tone of the front panels, as there are slight differences from batch to batch.

So no problem starting with one Mentor and going for a second one when funds allow.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #267 of 1,039
Flux answer to your question.

FLUX guarantees an absolutely identical volume level between the two units, even if the second unit is purchased much later. The differences may be primarily due to the tone of the front panels, as there are slight differences from batch to batch.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #268 of 1,039
Flux answer to your question.

Thank you for the clarification

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #269 of 1,039
Hello guys, I have read this comment and didn't seem right to me so I contacted Flux team for a technically correct answer.

So no problem starting with one Mentor and going for a second one when funds allow.
This is good to know if in the future you want to go full psycho and buy and second one and run them mono.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #270 of 1,039

holy crap, man, thats fabulous.

I never mind being corrected, but, rarely am I this happy about it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back