FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Feb 26, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #241 of 1,039
Alright Ichos, what does the other stuff represent on the dual Mentor picture? On each Mentor unit, one channel each of amplification along with each of its pathways of power supplies/internals go to the + and - pins of the one 3-pin XLR output?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #242 of 1,039
@DisalvoA992

Each triangle is a power amplifier. Let's start by reminding that the Mentor is a dual mono amplifier and not balanced. It accepts single ended and balanced inputs and delivers a single ended output. The 4-pin XLR plug is for convenience. Not balanced output.

So in a single Mentor you have left and right channels amplifiers each one with its own transformer and power supply.

Dual Mentors are a fully balanced configuration.
One Mentor is the amplifier of the left channel and the other of the right in a balanced mode. So we have four power amplifiers. (Four triangles)

Left Mentor amplifies L+ and L-. Right Mentor amplifies R+ and R-. Each component of the stereo signal has its own transformer and power supply. Four of them as a whole.

Left Mentor delivers L+, L- and ground in a 3-pin XLR plug. Right Mentor delivers R+, R- and ground in a 3-pin XLR plug.

6F9743F5-0CBF-40C2-A864-F9CE6A5750DB.gif

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #243 of 1,039
@DisalvoA992

Each triangle is a power amplifier. Let's start by reminding that the Mentor is a dual mono amplifier and not balanced. It accepts single ended and balanced inputs and delivers a single ended output. The 4-pin XLR plug is for convenience. Not balanced output.

So in a single Mentor you have left and right channels amplifiers each one with its own transformer and power supply.

One Mentor is the amplifier of the left channel and the other of the right in a balanced mode. So we have four power amplifiers. (Four triangles)

Left Mentor amplifies L+ and L-. Right Mentor amplifies R+ and R-. Each component of the stereo signal has its own transformer and power supply. Four of them as a whole.
One would require very special cables to run the dual mono configuration

Would you always have to turn both volume knobs simultaneously when you want to change volume?

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #244 of 1,039
One would require very special cables to run the dual mono configuration

Would you always have to turn both volume knobs simultaneously when you want to change volume?

The volume is synchronized from what I know. Master Mentor does the volume adjustment.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #248 of 1,039
Cable example for dual mono Mentor set-up.
Moon-Audio-Silver-Dragon-headphone-cable-Hifi-Man-2x-dual-3-pin-male-XLR-to-2x-Mini-25mm-30-m...jpeg
Ah I somehow missed that the 6.3mm output is simultaneously a 3 pin XLR

I was like "4 pin XLR for mono? How is the pinout?"

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #249 of 1,039
@DisalvoA992

Left Mentor delivers L+, L- and ground in a 3-pin XLR plug. Right Mentor delivers R+, R- and ground in a 3-pin XLR plug.

VERY interesting! Thank you.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #250 of 1,039
Didn't know that a single Mentor is not a true balanced amp. Thanks for the info Ichos.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #253 of 1,039
Cable example for dual mono Mentor set-up.
I think best would be like this: 3-pin xlr left channel, 3-pin xlr right channel, to 4-pin xlr female.. like so. then use whatever cables for whatever headphone. I'd have Trevor make me one of these (Norne Gang Gang).

image_2024-02-26_130948117.png

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #255 of 1,039
This is the exact cable terminations I have from Arctic Cables. Got a nice custom Aperion cable and adapter I'm gonna bust out today for another pair of headphones
Man you are a prime candidate to just snag a paired stack of Mentors.

As an Aside:
Guys, it is important that the stacks are volume matched and purchased as a pair. If we buy one now with the thought of adding one later we'd run the possibility of them not sounding matched (which would have to suck). I noticed that warning on the product page last night so food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back