FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #227 of 1,039
Feb 25, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #229 of 1,039
The endless possibilities with flux products 😂 Just asked a weird but for me an interesting question to Flux Lab.
"Hi one question with the stack mono mode would It be possible to connect the mentor to the m-field to have the best of both world? Thanks"
Their response
"Of course, you can connect it that way and it will even work. But with such a connection, one channel is amplified by the Mentor and the other by the M-field. Agreed, this is a rather odd solution. These are self-sufficient models that do not require combining qualities. And the choice will depend on the other components of the audio path and personal preferences."

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #230 of 1,039
The endless possibilities with flux products 😂 Just asked a weird but for me an interesting question to Flux Lab.
"Hi one question with the stack mono mode would It be possible to connect the mentor to the m-field to have the best of both world? Thanks"
Their response
"Of course, you can connect it that way and it will even work. But with such a connection, one channel is amplified by the Mentor and the other by the M-field. Agreed, this is a rather odd solution. These are self-sufficient models that do not require combining qualities. And the choice will depend on the other components of the audio path and personal preferences."
Left channel will be Mentor and right M-Field. Then you can also use two different ear-cups from two of your favourite headphones and have the best combination of all!

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #232 of 1,039
@Ichos , since you've got to experience the Mentor, do you understand the science of what happens when the mono switch is flipped on? Has Flux said anything about what goes on with the unit when it shifts into mono? With each channel having separate power supplies and transformers as well as four high-capacity capacitors, that's the case for the 4-pin XLR stereo output I'd imagine. Do all those somehow get routed/combined to the one XLR/TRS output port for 100% power into one channel? I'd have to imagine they have it doing that because anything else I can think of wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #233 of 1,039
My worry is for the IEMs. The power rating on the Mentor on balanced is meant for speakers and on dual Mono is meant for large stage speakers. Is there built in protection or are we just feeding our IEMs to the Mentor till we find the only survivor?

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #234 of 1,039
Mentor isnt for IEMs. It's for Needy planars.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #235 of 1,039
My worry is for the IEMs. The power rating on the Mentor on balanced is meant for speakers and on dual Mono is meant for large stage speakers. Is there built in protection or are we just feeding our IEMs to the Mentor till we find the only survivor?

Mentor isnt for IEMs. It's for Needy planars.
I don't know if it has a protection circuit but from a volume curve perspective, the Mentor is good for IEMs at the low gain setting. If you read my review you will find that I have tested with the FiiO FX15 and I got good volume at 18 steps from 64 from the balanced output. This leaves good margin for fine volume adjustment.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #236 of 1,039
@Ichos , since you've got to experience the Mentor, do you understand the science of what happens when the mono switch is flipped on? Has Flux said anything about what goes on with the unit when it shifts into mono? With each channel having separate power supplies and transformers as well as four high-capacity capacitors, that's the case for the 4-pin XLR stereo output I'd imagine. Do all those somehow get routed/combined to the one XLR/TRS output port for 100% power into one channel? I'd have to imagine they have it doing that because anything else I can think of wouldn't make sense.
I am sorry but I don't know the working principle behind the mono operation. I will pass your question to Vitaliy.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #238 of 1,039
Much appreciated Ichos. Always wonder about how amps are doing mono if they're not a true mono amp (in other words, able to be a stand-alone stereo amp like the Mentor).
Technically they only have one out of two monos. You’d have to buy two amps to get the dual monos which can drive your most demanding speakers or headphones.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #239 of 1,039
Yes exactly. What I'm referring to though is how the Mentor actually gets to that point for mono pairing with another Mentor since one unit uses 2 banks of the same electronics to each power one channel for the 4-pin XLR. I haven't seen Mentor say anything as to how the mono function works.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #240 of 1,039
@DisalvoA992 asked about the working principle of two Mentor units in dual mono mode. Here is an explanation by Flux Lab.
IMG-20240226-WA0000.jpg

The triangle indicates one channel of the amplifier. Each channel has an individual power supply and power transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back