FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #137 of 1,084
So I've been listening some more, and I broke out the Douk XLR switcher for some head to head comparisons of Mentor to Mjolnir 3. The chain is, Moode Raspberry Pi 4 USB to Bifrost 2/64 -XLR-> Lokius (in bypass) -XLR-> Douk Switcher -XLR-> MJ3/Mentor. MJ3 in high gain, Class A, Feedback off. Mentor in High gain. Both amps volume matched with a 440hz, 1k, and pink noise source file to the same tenth of a DB on Tungsten Single Sided. All interconnects are World's Best Mogami, and both output cables to the amps from the Douk are the same length.

Bass

No contest to me, MJ3 has more junk in the trunk here, for sure. Chokes for the win I guess. I tested on CZARFACE - All That For A Drop Of Blood, BigBoi - Kill Jill as well as a straight 20hz foobar generated wave file and the MJ3 has noticeably more sub-bass extension. The middle bass drop on Kill Jill (~35 seconds) is faintly present on MJ3 whereas on Mentor it's barely there. Mentor MAY have an edge in tightness, but I don't have a track that I know is good for testing that. Open to suggestions there.

Mids

Mids sounds about the same to me. Mostly listened on Billie Eilish's Your Power as some of her inflections can be too much on certain sets in the mids for me so it's one of my midrange goto's. Acoustic guitars sound similar to me on both amps, but I do need to spend more time here.

Treble

Mentor seems brighter here. Slightly. Whether that translates to more detail or just more treble I can't say for sure yet. I have not come across a detail in a track that doesn't also exist in MJ3, its just that Mentor sounds brigher. Some examples, Counting Crows - Anna Begins, around 1:38, Adam Duritz's esses are slightly more sibilant on Mentor, same track ~1:53 there's a tinkling sound top right of the stage that's a hair more pronounced on Mentor. On the right channel of Amber Rubarth's Tundra, someone needs to trim their nose hair. The whistling from it and some of the edges of percussion are more pronounced on Mentor. BT - The Antikythera Mechanism from 5-6 minutes there's a very high frequency ticking that extends up to 20khz in the background that sounds better defined/sharper on Mentor.

Stage

Mentor seems to have slightly more stage width than MJ3 and I mean slight.

Will update the thread as I listen more. I plan on trying the other gain modes on Mentor to see if that changes the bass situation. I still think it's a good amp, but I do wish it had the booty shaking bass extension of MJ3 to go along with its treble extension.
Wow so MJ3 has no trouble driving the Tungsten? Good to know :)

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #141 of 1,084
How long should I expect mine to be “in processing” after ordered? I ordered mine 9.5 days ago and no sign of shipping yet.
If you have been given a tracking number on the order site just check that for movement. Mine is still "In Processing" and I've had it for a week. IIRC it took about 10 days to see movement from UPS. Login to the UPS tracking site if you have an account with your address attached to it and you should see more tracking details.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #142 of 1,084
If you have been given a tracking number on the order site just check that for movement. Mine is still "In Processing" and I've had it for a week. IIRC it took about 10 days to see movement from UPS. Login to the UPS tracking site if you have an account with your address attached to it and you should see more tracking details.
Mine just shows “in processing” on Flux’s website but no tracking number has been given to me or assigned. They have been “processing“ it for 10 days so far.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #145 of 1,084
Mine just shows “in processing” on Flux’s website but no tracking number has been given to me or assigned. They have been “processing“ it for 10 days so far.
The problem is that there is no direct shipping from Ukraine at the moment. Things have to be sent to a warehouse in Poland and then your tracking will be active. At least that's what I experienced.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #146 of 1,084
At the moment I'm enjoying my morning coffee with the Mentor stack and the 64 Audio U12T. I'm more than thrilled. OK, there is a slight noise floor with the U12T, but not much more than the "normal ringing" in my ears when I use IEMs. With the IER-Z1R there is no noise at all. Considering that the Mentor isn't really meant for IEMs, it's acceptable imo. The range of headphones you can use with the Mentor is amazing. What really impresses me is that I always have a very nice control path, even with IEMs. At low gain I move between 10 and 11 o'clock with the U12T, with the volume increasing quickly above 10 o'clock. The C9 remains my number one choice for IEMs, but I'll definitely take the Mentor for a spin occasionally in the future. I love this Ukrainian masterpiece.
tempImage6CFJTo.jpg

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #147 of 1,084
Mine is showing tracking info now and expected here next week. Thanks everyone.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #149 of 1,084
And how did you connect the iem with which cable?
From what I can see on the latest photo, the cable on the U12T is a Dunu Blanche (I have one on my A8000, great choice) with the 4.4mm jack connected to an XLR adapter, which is connected to the custom double mono cable.

If I had an Expanse or a Stealth instead of my trusty Æon 2 Noire, I would definitely get a pair of Mentors.

Wishful thinking... :grin:

Can't complain though, love my FA-10 Limited with the easy to drive Composer. :smile:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #150 of 1,084
And how did you connect the iem with which cable?
Lafeuill is right, Dune Blanche to DDHifi XLR44B adapter to custom XLR cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back