FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #811 of 1,039
I imagine this means Flux are driving it to Poland where UPS will take over.
Likely so. Do you have confirmation on yours being in transit to the UK?

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #813 of 1,039
My UPS tracking just says "label created" for the past few days. Not sure if it's just sitting somewhere in Europe waiting for shipment. Anybody else have any updates on their shipment?
It's on the truck headed to Warsaw. Usually on the 4th/5th day it'll start to show tracking.
If you message them on Facebook Messenger they always reply to me same day.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #814 of 1,039
It's on the truck headed to Warsaw. Usually on the 4th/5th day it'll start to show tracking.
They have arrived at Warsaw (export scan). That's already a smaller relief.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #815 of 1,039
Have any of you compared it with the Aune S17 Pro? I'm trying to avoid temptation and it's really too big for my office but it's sounding like the next big thing...
A definite step up, My Friend. You know I wouldnt steer you wrong.
Flip that S17, baby. - if you can afford to without hurting yourself in other ways of course.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #816 of 1,039
They have arrived at Warsaw (export scan). That's already a smaller relief.
yep, you are good to go now. i had mine 2 days later once i got that notice.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #817 of 1,039
This is great. It's like we have a small therapy group going here, to relieve our distress!

It sounds like the UK guys are getting some updates, but no updates for me just yet. Were there any other US buyers in this most recent batch or just me? Today would be day 4 since I placed the order, so hopefully my tracking number will update with some information tomorrow.

I'm not on facebook and never will be, so no option to message them that way. I could send an email later this week if there are no updates, however.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #818 of 1,039
A definite step up, My Friend. You know I wouldnt steer you wrong.
Flip that S17, baby. - if you can afford to without hurting yourself in other ways of course.
Thanks. I suspected it would be and I am tempted but I just don't have room for it. My only option would be to make a shelf and hang it under the desk, does it give off much heat? (Less than the S17 I gather but probably too much to do that.)

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #819 of 1,039
Thanks. I suspected it would be and I am tempted but I just don't have room for it. My only option would be to make a shelf and hang it under the desk, does it give off much heat? (Less than the S17 I gather but probably too much to do that.)
actually somehow it runs very cool for a class A amp. only the bottom even gets warm and thats with a 1" gap under it only on feet.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #820 of 1,039
This is great. It's like we have a small therapy group going here, to relieve our distress!

It sounds like the UK guys are getting some updates, but no updates for me just yet. Were there any other US buyers in this most recent batch or just me? Today would be day 4 since I placed the order, so hopefully my tracking number will update with some information tomorrow.

I'm not on facebook and never will be, so no option to message them that way. I could send an email later this week if there are no updates, however.
You should give it 2 weeks to arrive. Usually takes about 7-10 business days.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #821 of 1,039
actually somehow it runs very cool for a class A amp. only the bottom even gets warm and thats with a 1" gap under it only on feet.
i find this very odd, someone mentioned that flux implemented some kind of new heatsink design where the sinks are located under the board. this is also odd being that heat rises upward. schiit went in depth about different types of class a and maybe flux is using a newer style. i just cant imagine it being the same type of class a as the MJ3 ("true" single ended or push-pull) and not getting anywhere near as toasty, especially delivering 6x the power. although none of these things matter as much as the way it sounds. im assuming the s17 uses a similar type of class a as the MJ3 being that it gets pretty hot as well.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #822 of 1,039
i find this very odd, someone mentioned that flux implemented some kind of new heatsink design where the sinks are located under the board. this is also odd being that heat rises upward. schiit went in depth about different types of class a and maybe flux is using a newer style. i just cant imagine it being the same type of class a as the MJ3 ("true" single ended or push-pull) and not getting anywhere near as toasty, especially delivering 6x the power. although none of these things matter as much as the way it sounds. im assuming the s17 uses a similar type of class a as the MJ3 being that it gets pretty hot as well.
I suspect the Flux Mentor isn’t getting as hot mainly because they use much more expensive components and more conductive materials. Schiit is great at keeping cost low for the common man, but also means lower end components and subsequently higher rate of failures. Mods on the MJ3 threads are deleting the complaints regularly which is why you don’t see it as much.

Flux can keep costs low likely from their Government subsidies. They have a reputation of using only high end components for their stuff in the past as well. I took a look inside one of my flux when one of them was not working after transport and those components cost a pretty penny to replace.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #823 of 1,039
I suspect the Flux Mentor isn’t getting as hot mainly because they use much more expensive components and more conductive materials. Schiit is great at keeping cost low for the common man, but also means lower end components and subsequently higher rate of failures. Mods on the MJ3 threads are deleting the complaints regularly which is why you don’t see it as much.

Flux can keep costs low likely from their Government subsidies. They have a reputation of using only high end components for their stuff in the past as well. I took a look inside one of my flux when one of them was not working after transport and those components cost a pretty penny to replace.
Can’t argue with you there, the internals of the mentor look absolutely fantastic.

May 1, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #825 of 1,039
This is a bit of an exaggeration. There were maybe a handful or a dozen cap failures on early production MJ3s, always the same caps. Schiit has sorted this a while ago with a silent revision (new caps). Sure, for a few early adopters sending the amp for a repair/refresh will be inconvenient, but 5 years of warranty is quite generous and offers some peace of mind. Newer MJ3s do not suffer this issue anymore.

The class-A heat question is an interesting one. I have not tried any true class-A amps that do not get hot, so it would be really interesting to know how Flux got around this issue. Better components cannot explain this fully. It is also worth noting, that under the 'class-A' label there might actually be quite a few different designs. It is worth reading Jason's write up about the topic.

According to the tracker, my Mentor has landed in the UK.....
Mine too! It is exciting! :) Right now, UPS says it should be delivered today, but we will see about that. I suspect tomorrow is more likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back