FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #781 of 985
My Mentor should arrive this week and I'm wondering how to A/B it with the MJ3. Is there any sound difference between the Mentor's RCA and XLR? (I'll be using it XLR full time, but the MJ3 has a difference between the inputs, if I can RCA the Mentor that makes playing with the two much easier.)

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #782 of 985
My Mentor should arrive this week and I'm wondering how to A/B it with the MJ3. Is there any sound difference between the Mentor's RCA and XLR? (I'll be using it XLR full time, but the MJ3 has a difference between the inputs, if I can RCA the Mentor that makes playing with the two much easier.)
I think, you need to use the same inputs (ideally XLR) for fairness even if it is fiddlier. That is what I will do.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #783 of 985
Did you receive a shipping notification? I haven’t gotten any yet.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #786 of 985
Just got the same email with a tracking number. Hopefully, I’ll have an uneventful shipment to the USA.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #787 of 985
I'd say there will be no difference. Mentor is dual mono but unbalanced (there was discussion about it some time ago, you can find it here). I think the XLR output is for convenience but it is the same as from SE.
I tried both outputs and if there is any sound difference, I didn't notice it.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #788 of 985
I'd say there will be no difference. Mentor is dual mono but unbalanced (there was discussion about it some time ago, you can find it here). I think the XLR output is for convenience but it is the same as from SE.
I tried both outputs and if there is any sound difference, I didn't notice it.
If that is the case, the Mentor will be the first amp I try with identical sound from SE and BAL. I lost count how many amps I tried, but there was always some difference between these outputs.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #789 of 985
Just got the same email with a tracking number. Hopefully, I’ll have an uneventful shipment to the USA.
That last leg of the journey was only 2 days for me and Im in the middle of the US. Sounds like all you baws were on the same truck to Poland and all should be in Audio Nirvana by midweek.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #790 of 985
If that is the case, the Mentor will be the first amp I try with identical sound from SE and BAL. I lost count how many amps I tried, but there was always some difference between these outputs.
Mentor is so powerful the extra power from balanced is unnecessary. However as Psy can attest the stack is fully balanced and you do get that extra power for the two of them so instead of being 23w (2x11.5w) the stack puts out over 30w!~

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #792 of 985
No tracking number for me yet, and I ordered seconds after receiving the "in-stock" email. (I ordered the stack, because I'm serious about bankrupting myself)

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #793 of 985
No tracking number for me yet, and I ordered seconds after receiving the "in-stock" email. (I ordered the stack, because I'm serious about bankrupting myself)
oh, yeah, Baby. That crap gonna be amazing.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #794 of 985
@markkr Im gonna go out on a limb here and pretty much guarantee that stack is going to put most of your other amps to pasture so I see a few Classifieds Posts in your future.

I'm curious what you have to say about it with your Yggy MiB vs the TT2/Mscaler. That really is going to be something; especially i bet on your HeKse.
Grats. Your Sig line is God-tier lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back