Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,321 of 2,598
Questions for FA-12 owners (might also apply to the FA-10):
How long did it take for your amp to burn in once you received it?
Do you leave it on all of the time?
If you don't leave it on, how long does it need to warm up before reaching normal performance?

Feb 12, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #1,322 of 2,598
How long did it take for your amp to burn in once you received it?
Not sure. Flux labs did not say anything about a burn in period but I believe I've read it to be close to 200 hours according to @teknorob23

Do you leave it on all of the time?
I turn it on a bit before I plan on using it then turn it off once I'm done listening to music

If you don't leave it on, how long does it need to warm up before reaching normal performance?
It seems to take about 2 hours to reach a constant temperature

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,323 of 2,598
Ordered the Flux FA-12, looking forward to complimenting my setup. Vatiliy has been extremely good and communicating and answering questions even though time zone are so vastly different.

Feb 17, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #1,324 of 2,598
Ordered the Flux FA-12, looking forward to complimenting my setup. Vatiliy has been extremely good and communicating and answering questions even though time zone are so vastly different.

Nice! May I ask what should of DAC and headphones u are gonna use with the FA 12?

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,325 of 2,598

Congrats, hope you enjoy it! Please post impressions when you can. 😊

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #1,326 of 2,598
HD800s, HD660s currently using the Matrix Mini i Pro 3 streaming Roon and Tidal. I love the sound of the Matrix Dac and just wanted a class A amp that was complimentary and the Flux product seems to fill that criteria.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,327 of 2,598
The i3 has aclass A amp too. What where you missing with the mentioned headphones? (just curious cause i'm interested in the i3 pro too.
When you mention Tidal. Is tbat thru airplay streaming i thought the i3 didn't have TIdal connect yet?

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,328 of 2,598
Plays through Roon, just login through my existing Tidal account and Roon ties thing in nicely.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,329 of 2,598
Did anyone step up from the current generation of THX amps (887/888 etc) to Fa-10 ?
Did you feel there were marginal or big differences with your cans ?

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,330 of 2,598
I will be, I’ve owned the THX789 and the SMP 888. However i have not received my Flux amp yet.
The biggest take away from owning any of the THX variants are, they are excellent clean amps but way too hyper analytical and it becomes fatiguing to listen for long periods of time. I’ll leave impressions once I get time form an opinion. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,331 of 2,598
Did anyone step up from the current generation of THX amps (887/888 etc) to Fa-10 ?
Did you feel there were marginal or big differences with your cans ?
I went from the 789 to the RebelAmp, then the RebelAmp to the FA-12. The 12 is similar in tonality to the RebelAmp so I can contrast the FA-12 with the 789. Even though this is not the FA-10 maybe this will be helpful for you.

One of the reasons I was looking for a different amp is that I was picking up on a lot of flaws in certain recordings and I hoped that moving to something else ( a class A amp ) would make things sound smoother and not so analytical sounding. This ended up being true and the big difference I noticed when moving to the RebelAmp/FA-12 is that the sound became smoother and not so harsh especially in the upper frequencies. Also the sound might have been a bit slower but there was more bass quantity and I felt like I was enjoying the overall tonality of the class A amp compared to the sometimes overly revealing nature of the 789. The build quality on both the RebelAmp and FA-12 is both significantly better than the 789 so that's an advantage too.

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,332 of 2,598
I went from the 789 to the RebelAmp, then the RebelAmp to the FA-12. The 12 is similar in tonality to the RebelAmp so I can contrast the FA-12 with the 789. Even though this is not the FA-10 maybe this will be helpful for you.

One of the reasons I was looking for a different amp is that I was picking up on a lot of flaws in certain recordings and I hoped that moving to something else ( a class A amp ) would make things sound smoother and not so analytical sounding. This ended up being true and the big difference I noticed when moving to the RebelAmp/FA-12 is that the sound became smoother and not so harsh especially in the upper frequencies. Also the sound might have been a bit slower but there was more bass quantity and I felt like I was enjoying the overall tonality of the class A amp compared to the sometimes overly revealing nature of the 789. The build quality on both the RebelAmp and FA-12 is both significantly better than the 789 so that's an advantage too.
Are you using your rme dac as source?
Any eq?

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,333 of 2,598
Are you using your rme dac as source?
Any eq?
Yes with the 789, RebelAmp, and FA-12 I've used the rme as the source. I've used the audeze presets in Roon for the 4z and have played around with a bass shelf with the 800S on the rme bass/treble settings. But for the most part I do not use eq

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,334 of 2,598
Initial impression on THX887 vs Flux FA-10......10 has a more natural tonality (natural side of neutral = my fav.) vs the strict neutrality of THX....going back to THX, THX does seem to have the slightest nudge on imaging ability ... but under load it seems to emphasize upper mids/lower treble (even though its supposed to be ruler flat) ...that nudge more into the subs quality/quantity difference on FA-10 is apparent...just all that juice sitting there ready on tap for those fast scoops into subterranean bass.

First day testing with LCD-XC mid gain (volume pot around 12 o'clock) ...have to remove warm setting jumpers inside my a-gd r2r DAC to bring the imaging more in line with THX..THX does need the warm setting jumpers on with the A-gd IMO or its just too "scalpal-like" in presentation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back