Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,201 of 2,598
I would say that the GS is just what is says it is, linear and accurate. I find it great for listening to acoustic brass or strings. It can get a bit harsh (to my ears) at times in the upper register - especially for "louder" music (symphonic rock, for example). The FA-12 is just more magical - not a technical term. I just prefer it for most music (rock, alternative, folk mostly). And even for classical, it is very nice. FA-12 is kind of my go to: it's good for almost everything and exquisite for much of my collection.
I would say that the GS is just what is says it is, linear and accurate. I find it great for listening to acoustic brass or strings. It can get a bit harsh (to my ears) at times in the upper register - especially for "louder" music (symphonic rock, for example). The FA-12 is just more magical - not a technical term. I just prefer it for most music (rock, alternative, folk mostly). And even for classical, it is very nice. FA-12 is kind of my go to: it's good for almost everything and exquisite for much of my collection.

FYI, I don't use power hungry cans and I haven't yet added an open-backed phone to my mix (house limitations). I am currently thinking an open headphone is my next priority.

Hello, I have an El Amp II as well. Wondering how the FA-12 compares to your ears. Was thinking of purchasing the FA-12 or 12s. Any impressions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,202 of 2,598
Halo!
Are you using se or balanced? (Both in/out) is it audible difference?

I currently only use SE. Experimenting with balanced would require purchasing interconnects and new headphone cables. My next investment will likely be an open backed headphone (my current ones are all closed).

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,203 of 2,598
Hello, I have an El Amp II as well. Wondering how the FA-12 compares to your ears. Was thinking of purchasing the FA-12 or 12s. Any impressions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,204 of 2,598
The El Amp II is excellent. But the FA-12 is just a step up in level. For me, that just means the "wow" factor when I listen with it. Having said that, the JDS Stack was an "upgrade" from using the Dragonfly Cobalt, and it was truly an upgrade. When I can actually go back to an office not in my house, the JDS Stack will go with me.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,205 of 2,598
Thanks so much for your impressions! Agree that the EL Amp II is excellent. It has great synergy with my Auteur and Solaris SE. Honestly, everything I own sounds awesome on it. Despite the high sensitivity of the SE, it’s background is dead silent which speaks to the quality and versatility of EL Amp II. However, I’m so intrigued with how my M400 DAC may pair with a different amp in that next price tier. Will most likely go with a balanced amp like the FA 12 vs the 12s. Also considering the Liquid Gold X despite the paucity of reviews but the couple I’ve read/seen have been positive. I see you have an Ares II which is highly regarded. Perhaps someday when this awful pandemic is behind us, events like CanJam can resume so we can actually listen to gear prior to purchasing. Will certainly update this thread if I go with the FA12 and thanks again for your thoughts!

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #1,206 of 2,598
Just ordered the FA12 with red front! Very excited.

Yesterday i listened to the AudioValve RKV HAA edition in a headphone store in Amsterdam.
The best my Hifiman Arya's have ever sounded! Never expected that a tube amp would work well with techno music. Compared to the SS ElevenXIAudio used for the Abyss i found that listening to the Audiovalve (€2.8K) it felt being in the club listening to house music, the ElevenXIAudio (€7.3K) is a very precise more clear vision on how the track is build, could use this is the studio very nicely. I think it depends on the day which you would prefer. Wouldn't it be great to have a hybrid system with a switch (lamps on/lamps off)

Listened to the Burson Soloist 3XP as well. Sounded harsh in the top end and didn't like more damp sound that came out of it. I missed the bass that the Audiovalve gave me, the full bodied sound without lacking detail.The stereo image/separation of elements/width of the Audiovalve is what i am looking for in a desktop system vs my Fiio M15 DAP (that I will use now with my IEM's very happily)

Then the person of the store put the Hifiman H1KV2 on my head, ....... Yes it gives me even more information on the track, a very beautiful image of the song. Putting back the Arya's on I didn't miss it that much. I'm not gonna spend 3.5K on a headphone vs 1.6K.

So Flux FA12, I am so keen on finding out if you can give me all of the above.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #1,207 of 2,598
Just ordered the FA12 with red front! Very excited.

Yesterday i listened to the AudioValve RKV HAA edition in a headphone store in Amsterdam.

The best my Hifiman Arya's have ever sounded! Never expected that a tube amp would work well with techno music. Compared to the SS ElevenXIAudio used for the Abyss i found that listening to the Audiovalve (€2.8K) it felt being in the club listening to house music, the ElevenXIAudio (€7.3K) is a very precise more clear vision on how the track is build, could use this is the studio very nicely. I think it depends on the day which you would prefer. Wouldn't it be great to have a hybrid system with a switch (lamps on/lamps off)

Listened to the Burson Soloist 3XP as well. Sounded harsh in the top end and didn't like more damp sound that came out of it. I missed the bass that the Audiovalve gave me, the full bodied sound without lacking detail.The stereo image/separation of elements/width of the Audiovalve is what i am looking for in a desktop system vs my Fiio M15 DAP (that I will use now with my IEM's very happily)

Then the person of the store put the Hifiman H1KV2 on my head, ....... Yes it gives me even more information on the track, a very beautiful image of the song. Putting back the Arya's on I didn't miss it that much. I'm not gonna spend 3.5K on a headphone vs 1.6K.

So Flux FA12, I am so keen on finding out if you can give me all of the above.
You may have take the last red plate >.<
I have to choose yellow since no black left either.
Hope Vitaliy can work some magic ✨
I don't have any yellow item in my room :D

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,208 of 2,598
You may have take the last red plate >.<
I have to choose yellow since no black left either.
Hope Vitaliy can work some magic ✨
I don't have any yellow item in my room :D

sorry buddy! Nothint is red in my room either, but if the FA12 is like others here describe, it should also have an odd colour to emphasize it’s character.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,209 of 2,598
sorry buddy! Nothint is red in my room either, but if the FA12 is like others here describe, it should also have an odd colour to emphasize it’s character.
Good point. I was thinking something similar too. Perhaps it really deserves to stand out. 🤔

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #1,210 of 2,598
The El Amp II is excellent. But the FA-12 is just a step up in level. For me, that just means the "wow" factor when I listen with it. Having said that, the JDS Stack was an "upgrade" from using the Dragonfly Cobalt, and it was truly an upgrade. When I can actually go back to an office not in my house, the JDS Stack will go with me.
What about pairing your 9200s with your FA12 (against pairing with your other AMPs)? Do you notice a true difference or just slightly? Thanks in advance.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #1,211 of 2,598
Has anyone compared the FA-10 or FA-12 to the new Schiit Jotunheim 2? I know they are in a different price category, but would be interested in how they compare nonetheless.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #1,212 of 2,598
What is the status of the volot? It looks so tempting and potentially the perfect amp for Susvara.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,213 of 2,598
2 weeks more to go for the fa-12 to come!

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,214 of 2,598
So my favorite YT reviewer currently has the Volot and the first take was very impressive. He said the review is coming in Feb. He just posted a review of the latest Flavor of the Month amp (which he gushed over) from you know who but told me to sit tight and wait for the Volot take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back