Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Jan 20, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #1,231 of 2,598
So I'm still wrestling with my excitement for the pending Volot release. The general positive feedback and excitement for Flux in 2020 was around the FA-10 (standard) and that you get hifi performance at the MidFi price. I won't step on the other products (FA-12 and FA-10 Pro) but that was my general takeaway.

I had a few contacts that paired the FA-10 with Susvara, HE6SEv2, and 1266 Phi TC that came away happy but still wanted more in terms of resolution, sound stage, and technical performance. Hence I think this is where the Volot will step in with it's fully balanced topology improvements.

I guess my general question is the "fun" or musical sound signature that made the FA-10 a hit is there risk that to achieve the technical improvements does it take a step back in those aspects? It is possible to still maintain the musicality but get the top level details in the mids/treble that both the susvara and 1266 can show off?
This is where the mod helps improve things along with the Hifi Tuning Supreme fuse in the FA-10. Details, resolution, soundstage, and technicalities are all bumped up quite a bit. I do feel the mod maxes out the FA-10 performance. Listening to the modded FA-10 next to my V281 the sound is very competitive only losing out in ultimate resolution in the treble region. The V281 sounds more open and airy from the upper midrange on, but the gap is lessened with tThe mod. The Formula S is a step up on both even without the Powerman, which I don’t have at the moment.

After comparing the FA-10 to both the Formula S and V281, I do think the Volot with be even better. Only because of the FA-10‘s singled ended topology design. I doubt I’ll pick one up since I have both a XI Audio Formula S and Violectric V281 now. Even with those amps, I still prefer my Susvara’s on the modded FA-10. The Susvara/FA-10 combo is really special.

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #1,232 of 2,598

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #1,233 of 2,598
Hi there!
Happy recent FA-10's owner (received 3 days ago!!), I'm wondering how well the FA-10 would be paired with Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA.
Did someone ever have this experience ? Does it pair well to the amp ?
Any other source suggestion based on your listening experience?
Many thanks for your help!
As for now I'm using an iMac + Audirvana + SysOptimiser + Topping D90
But I feel this great amp would deserve an upgraded source...
(I didn't read the 83 pages of this topic, sorry if this question has been already asked!)

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,235 of 2,598
Hi there!
Happy recent FA-10's owner (received 3 days ago!!), I'm wondering how well the FA-10 would be paired with Matrix X-Sabre Pro MQA.
Did someone ever have this experience ? Does it pair well to the amp ?
Any other source suggestion based on your listening experience?
Many thanks for your help!
As for now I'm using an iMac + Audirvana + SysOptimiser + Topping D90
But I feel this great amp would deserve an upgraded source...
(I didn't read the 83 pages of this topic, sorry if this question has been already asked!)
Wish my fa-12 was on stock... ;(
Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the input voltage from 110V to 220V on the FA-10 Pro?
Ask them at info@fluxlab-acoustics.com

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,236 of 2,598
Update on Volot and response from Flux/Vitaliy:

"To be honest, the current demand on actual products makes us a bit overloaded, local situation due to COVID pandemic situation doesn't help. As you may know, after receiving a lot of requests we decided to equip VOLOT with preamplifier outputs, that feature also adds some additional points for testing and engineering, now we are waiting of the final version of PCBs to make some tests and measurements. After that we will start the mass production. Be sure that would be a different point of signature and dynamics, but the details will be later "

Looks like any reviews coming in Feb are from a pre-production unit or prototype. For me it's a shame for a 6 month product release delay due to preamp but if that is what the customer wants then so be it. Here's to hoping a product release comes in Mar/Apr timeframe!

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,237 of 2,598

"To be honest, the current demand on actual products makes us a bit overloaded, local situation due to COVID pandemic situation doesn't help. As you may know, after receiving a lot of requests we decided to equip VOLOT with preamplifier outputs, that feature also adds some additional points for testing and engineering, now we are waiting of the final version of PCBs to make some tests and measurements. After that we will start the mass production. Be sure that would be a different point of signature and dynamics, but the details will be later "

Looks like any reviews coming in Feb are from a pre-production unit or prototype. For me it's a shame for a 6 month product release delay due to preamp but if that is what the customer wants then so be it. Here's to hoping a product release comes in Mar/Apr timeframe!

Its all too tantalising, so i've set up a thread where we can speculate, console one another and hopefully one day soon discuss our impressions of the still mythical VOLOT...

In lieu of any useful information, perhaps we can discuss practicalities like what sort shelf we need to build to take its weight :wink:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flu...-reviews-and-discussion.952903/#post-16123285

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #1,238 of 2,598
So I'm still wrestling with my excitement for the pending Volot release. The general positive feedback and excitement for Flux in 2020 was around the FA-10 (standard) and that you get hifi performance at the MidFi price. I won't step on the other products (FA-12 and FA-10 Pro) but that was my general takeaway.

I had a few contacts that paired the FA-10 with Susvara, HE6SEv2, and 1266 Phi TC that came away happy but still wanted more in terms of resolution, sound stage, and technical performance. Hence I think this is where the Volot will step in with it's fully balanced topology improvements.

I guess my general question is the "fun" or musical sound signature that made the FA-10 a hit is there risk that to achieve the technical improvements does it take a step back in those aspects? It is possible to still maintain the musicality but get the top level details in the mids/treble that both the susvara and 1266 can show off?
Yes but Volot wins in this category. Am waiting for more competition for linear class A.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,239 of 2,598
Tbh judging from the replies they're giving they look like the least convinced about an imminent release. I have a feeling this won't even make into 2021, just like it didn't for 2020. Think I'll look for something else, can't wait forever. Let's not forget this thing was socially promoted mid-2019 and supposed to be pretty much rdy for pre-order.

"Assembling of limited first batch is a full swing 😉 book yours" was posted on IG on 31 July 2019! Did someone book it? I can imagine the frustration.

It's January 2021 and things are foggier than at that time.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,240 of 2,598

I recently got the Holo Audio May Dac, its development cycle took way longer than expected. The result is completely worth it, the May is without doubt one of the best DACs in its price class. I prefer the Flux guys to take the same route, especially when the result is worth it. I do not care about the pre-amp function currently, but it is completely understandable from a business perspective. As an fresh Susvara owner, I am super curious what the Volot can bring.

I can only recommend the Flux team to be a little more open about their development roadmap and production cycle (similar to crowdfunded projects): it will help gain traction and mindshare from the community. Just do not use Cyberpunk 2077 overpromise and underdeliver approach :beyersmile:.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,241 of 2,598
I'm excited and hoping that more information will be forthcoming soon for the VOLOT. I'm starting to save up and I've considered an AGD Master 9 or HE-9 for my Endgame - but I've intentionally held off once I heard about the upgrade to the FA-10.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,242 of 2,598
I'm excited and hoping that more information will be forthcoming soon for the VOLOT. I'm starting to save up and I've considered an AGD Master 9 or HE-9 for my Endgame - but I've intentionally held off once I heard about the upgrade to the FA-10.
Yeah but most of us cant afford it. For people with loads of cash to spare.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,243 of 2,598
I also added my voice to those asking for a pre-amp function in the Volot, but the related delay is not going to make me regret it. Speaking of delays, I do not think one should underestimate the role of the mentioned Covid-19-related obstacles that are also--and at least partially--responsible for them... Even the production and rollout of already released audio products, such as the Niimbus US4 (+) or the V550/590 products from Lake People, are currently experiencing bumps and delays that are at least partially generated by Covid-19 related causes. Hell, if Covid-19 vaccine rollouts, which are a thousand times more important than any audio gear I can personally think of, are themselves hamstrung by all kinds of delays, I can certainly find it in my heart to "forgive" Flux Lab for delaying the release of a VOLOT, the importance or significance of which pale in comparison to those vaccines. Not that Flux Lab actually needs any "forgiveness" from me, but I digress.

I do have a Violectric V281 and a modded Fa-10 in hand. They are currently playing the roles of (more than merely) capable holdovers in driving my favorite cans, such as the Susvara or the LCD-4, whiles I wait for the VOLOT or whatever "end-gamish" SS headphone amp I decide to buy next. Those are the purely selfish reasons behind the position I am currently defending, and I perfectly understand that the mileages of other enthusiasts may vary.

However, from that purely selfish perspective, a pre-amp in the VOLOT enhances its competitiveness with alternatives such as the Violectric V550 and even the Niimbus US4 (+), which I am also patiently considering. I normally want my headphone amps in this relatively expensive price brackets to double as pre-amps to feed speaker amps inside the 2-channel/HT systems within which they are deployed, so those pre-amps are not exactly desired for purely cosmetic or decorative reasons... :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :wink:.

My V281, for example, is doing an excellent job in relaying the signal chain that is feeding the two monoblocks that are driving my front tower speakers, while at the same time, doing a totally "bonkers" job in driving any headphone I throw at it, as it should.

As for Flux Labs, I am personally convinced by the robust customer service relations that they maintain in places such as facebook, and the care with which they have produced and promoted all the amps or amp/Dac units in the FA-XX-(pro) series, not to mention their ATLAS, that they are not lacking at all in the "hunger for success" department. I am accordingly persuaded that they are as eager to get their VOLOT to the market, as most of us enthusiasts are to hear, and potentially own it. Seen in that light, I feel cautiously, but, comfortably optimistic about waiting for it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,244 of 2,598
Yeah but most of us cant afford it. For people with loads of cash to spare.
It's more my bi-yearly splurge where I throw something I want onto my paypal credit and try to knock it down a bit up front to shorten the repayment.... I'm sure it'll be crazy expensive but it will be the last headphone amp I'll likely ever need in my lifetime. If it solved my upgraditus for that piece of equipment I think of it as a long term investment.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,245 of 2,598
It's more my bi-yearly splurge where I throw something I want onto my paypal credit and try to knock it down a bit up front to shorten the repayment.... I'm sure it'll be crazy expensive but it will be the last headphone amp I'll likely ever need in my lifetime. If it solved my upgraditus for that piece of equipment I think of it as a long term investment.
Yes agree ! So its better be good ! Its the only Class A for neutrality. I sell my car next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back