Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,067 of 2,609
so can i ask, with hifman he1000 v1 or he1000se, which amp you prefer, and which dac do u recommend that works great

simply hifiman he1000 versions love power, even the SE I like it on powerful amps

So I need now also recs for dac to fit the flux , simply put i like full bodied sound, great tight bass, and very natural full mids, sort of speak a musical set up

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,068 of 2,609

It’s just I wouldn’t describe either as neutral, both have warmth just 12 has a bit more. Same with transparency I’d place them about equal. I’ve been listening to the 12 balanced with the denafrips Venus2 dac for about a month and I’ve been amazed by its ability to go toe to toe with the denafrips which is incredibly resolving and nuanced. I have v281 coming this weekend so it’ll be exciting to hear how the 12 stands up to it with Venus2. That said the Volot with preamp is sounding more mouth watering by the minute.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,069 of 2,609
It’s just I wouldn’t describe either as neutral, both have warmth just 12 has a bit more. Same with transparency I’d place them about equal. I’ve been listening to the 12 balanced with the denafrips Venus2 dac for about a month and I’ve been amazed by its ability to go toe to toe with the denafrips which is incredibly resolving and nuanced. I have v281 coming this weekend so it’ll be exciting to hear how the 12 stands up to it with Venus2. That said the Volot with preamp is sounding more mouth watering by the minute.

Interested in FA10 and V281 comparison, please share

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #1,071 of 2,609
1. Stock FA-10 vs V281 driving the Susvara, the He-6, or the He6SE : I pick the FA-10 for the extra muscularity it brings to the table, and for that certain class-A "je ne sais quoi" that adds a sonic flavor that Class-A amplification is known for (more "musicality"???)... The V281 is actually quite capable with these cans, and is not by any means outclassed by the FA-10 or too far behind it at all(see items #2 & #3, below).

2. Stock FA-10 vs V281 ; for all round versatility and usability with multiple cans with variable sensitivities and efficiency levels : I pick the V281 by a mile. (***The pre-gain settings on the V281 can be a very valuable tool in this particular area)

3. Stock Fa-10 vs V281 : for versatility of connectivity options (pre-amp stage), and offering a dual-mono/internally balanced topology when needed : I pick the V281 by another mile :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

Yes, I currently own both, and am not planning on parting with either one of them any time soon.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #1,072 of 2,609
1. Stock FA-10 vs V281 driving the Susvara, the He-6, or the He6SE : I pick the FA-10 for the extra muscularity it brings to the table, and for that certain class-A "je ne sais quoi" that adds a sonic flavor that Class-A amplification is know for (more "musicality"???)... The V281 is actually quite capable with these cans, and is not by any means outclassed by the FA-10 or too far behind it at all(see items #2 & #3, below).

2. Stock FA-10 vs V281 ; for all round versatility and usability with multiple cans with variable sensitivities and efficiency levels : I pick the V281 by a mile.

3. Stock Fa-10 vs V281 : for versatility of connectivity options (pre-amp stage), and offering a dual-mono/internally balanced topology when needed : I pick the V281 by another mile :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

Yes, I currently own both, and am not planning on parting with either one of them any time soon.
I get No. 3 on your list. The FA-10 doesn't have any output options, nor a DAC, and it's not a balanced design. For No.2, I would like to know what you are hearing in the V281's sound signature to make it the more versatile amp with different headphone types? Thanks!

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,073 of 2,609
I get No. 3 on your list. The FA-10 doesn't have any output options, nor a DAC, and it's not a balanced design. For No.2, I would like to know what you are hearing in the V281's sound signature to make it the more versatile amp with different headphone types? Thanks!

Okay touché regarding #2 - There is some kind of bias there which comes from having used the V281 for more than 4 years without pairing it with any hp--and I mean *any*--which sucks, or has sucked, on it... I could say the same thing for the stock FA-10 so far, but I have only had it for less than two months now, and only tried it with the Susvara and the LCD-4, so you could say the only real disadvantage the FA-10 faces in that comparison is that the FA-10's trial period has just started, and is still under way, whereas the V281 passes for "true and time-tested," like some vintage wine, that is so "vintage" that it is not even aware that its makers do not make it anymore. So one could add "durability" to the V281's creds, which is another attribute which is making the FA-10's relative newness look like a disadvantage. That "disadvantage" is only apparent, in that respect.

The FA-10 has a genuine shot at overcoming the "bias" I have mentioned on both fronts (versatile matchability and durability) by simply proving its own creds over time, but of course it will need some time, and further testing with multiple cans to get there. In that sense, I am keeping a very open mind on that front, and not necessarily holding the FA-10's newness against it, even if I appear to be doing that now. Did I say I'm loving my journey with the FA-10 very much so far, and even expecting the "love" to grow after the caps mod? The partnership is very promising, and I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up getting far more head time than the V281 in the near, and even, distant future, especially since both the Susvaras and the LCD-4 are here to stay. In that sense, I am giving the FA-10 the fairest shot I can for matching and even outshining the V281 as we move forward, in spite of what I said in the previous post... And I hope the OP understands this aspect of my response and comparison as well.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,074 of 2,609
Okay touché regarding #2 - There is some kind of bias there which comes from having used the V281 for more than 4 years without pairing it with any hp--and I mean *any*--which sucks, or has sucked, on it... I could say the same thing for the stock FA-10 so far, but I have only had it for less than two months now, and only tried it with the Susvara and the LCD-4, so you could say the only real disadvantage the FA-10 faces in that comparison is that the FA-10's trial period has just started, and is still under way, whereas the V281 passes for "true and time-tested," like some vintage wine, that is so "vintage" that it is not even aware that its makers do not make it anymore. So one could add "durability" to the V281's creds, which is another attribute which is making the FA-10's relative newness look like a disadvantage. That "disadvantage" is only apparent, in that respect.

The FA-10 has a genuine shot at overcoming the "bias" I have mentioned on both fronts (versatile matchability and durability) by simply proving its own creds over time, but of course it will need some time, and further testing with multiple cans to get there. In that sense, I am keeping a very open mind on that front, and not necessarily holding the FA-10's newness against it, even if I appear to be doing that now. Did I say I'm loving my journey with the FA-10 very much so far, and even expecting the "love" to grow after the caps mod? The partnership is very promising, and I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up getting far more head time than the V281 in the near, and even, distant future, especially since both the Susvaras and the LCD-4 are here to stay. In that sense, I am giving the FA-10 the fairest shot I can for matching and even outshining the V281 as we move forward, in spite of what I said in the previous post... And I hope the OP understands this aspect of my response and comparison as well.
Well said, the fact that the FA-10 is in the conversation says a lot. It’s like being the new kid at a new school. Where your trying to integrate yourself amongst all the well established people already there. Sounds like the FA-10 is making some friends rather quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if the FA-10 makes its way to being part of the “in-crowd” once you hear it with the mods.

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,076 of 2,609
I have an FA-10 on the way, but I keep getting the suspicion that the fa-12 will be more towards my liking. Would love if someone local would be willing to compare or temporarily swap.

The internet is lacking solid comparisons of the two.

I've always unequivocally preferred lower gain even for hard to drive headphones, as long as there's enough volume and like the richer/warmer sound sig. My issue with high gain is that the blackness disappears, imaging becomes less defined, sound becomes more distant, treble is hotter, bass hits harder but is ultimately fatiguing.

When I queried about unity gain, they said the low gain 14db is it, so I'll wait and see...

Also getting interested in the Whammy DIY amp which is getting good reviews.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,077 of 2,609

You have articulated your mind voice well :) even for me, with all the hype and power the FA-10 did not knocked my socks off during my initial listening sessions but it grew on me where i understood it's purpose, strength, weakness and synergy with various DACs/HPs. I am enjoying it more with my HE1000 V1 currently. I considered to sell it multiple times but now i am convinced that it will find a permanent place at my desk

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,078 of 2,609
As well. If he has the FA10?

Sadly i don’t have the fa10 anymore, so comparing specifics might be difficult but having spent a 5 weeks with it and the fa12 I should be able to comment more generally and from a technical, if not tonal stand point there are a lot of similarities between the 10 and 12.

@sahmen i am interested to hear how the 10 & 12 compare the v281, particular in the midrange from a detail point of view, do you have any comparative impressions you can share on this? For example while I still found overall that I preferred both fcn and fa12, the questyle cma800r was more resolving in the mids.

My pre and maybe miss-conception is that the violectric will be more neutral and uncoloured than both the flux’s, a more nuanced version of the a90, which you too I believe.

Personally I’m not to concerned about the power of the amp, as I’m back listening pretty much 100% via the stellias. That said while they are easy to drive they scale wonderfully with better amplification, in fact better anything in the chain in front of them, so much so I’ve yet to find their limits. They sound great with the fa10 and 12, but they do also sound lovely with good clean power and I’m keen to find out whether I’m hearing the full potential and the true uncoloured characteristics of the Venus2 dac. I suspect I’m not and that the v281 might not be on a par either.

Sorry not quite sure what my point is here, it’s been a long day, but yes I’ll report back as soon as I have something useful to share :)

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,079 of 2,609
Well said, the fact that the FA-10 is in the conversation says a lot. It’s like being the new kid at a new school. Where your trying to integrate yourself amongst all the well established people already there. Sounds like the FA-10 is making some friends rather quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if the FA-10 makes its way to being part of the “in-crowd” once you hear it with the mods.
Agreed on all counts. Btw, regarding the question you asked about item #2, or what one might call the more apparent "versatile matchability" of the V281 with multiple headphones, and even iems, or with a wider range of varying efficiencies and impedances, one related feature I forgot to mention was its manually adjustable "pre-gain" settings, which lends themselves well to accommodating those differences and variables where needed. I typically do not use that function, as the unity gain setting is usually enough for all my needs, which is why I forgot to mention it in my answer. I have updated that answer now, but I won't change anything I have said about the FA-10, at least not until I have received my modded unit back :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,080 of 2,609
@manishex i’m in Surrey near weybridge and I’d be happy to do a swap for a week or so, lend you my 12.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back