Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,696 of 2,598
Looks like the 1266 that I ordered is arriving tomorrow. I had hoped that the Volot would get here first but that's not due for another 2-3 weeks at least so in the mean time I will power them off of the FA-12 since that is the best amp at my disposal.

I will post some impressions of the pairing especially in terms of how it drives the Abyss headphone and eventually if it can compete with something like the Volot that should drive them much better. I'm looking forward to seeing how big of a difference there will be with a demanding headphone like the 1266 between the FA-12 and the Volot. I will do my best to post impressions of this process.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #1,697 of 2,598
Looks like the 1266 that I ordered is arriving tomorrow. I had hoped that the Volot would get here first but that's not due for another 2-3 weeks at least so in the mean time I will power them off of the FA-12 since that is the best amp at my disposal.

I will post some impressions of the pairing especially in terms of how it drives the Abyss headphone and eventually if it can compete with something like the Volot that should drive them much better. I'm looking forward to seeing how big of a difference there will be with a demanding headphone like the 1266 between the FA-12 and the Volot. I will do my best to post impressions of this process.

Given your headphones you should have taken FA10 instead of FA12. I’m curious about your impressions of the Volot, I have FCN10 and wonder about the Volot.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #1,698 of 2,598
Given your headphones you should have taken FA10 instead of FA12. I’m curious about your impressions of the Volot, I have FCN10 and wonder about the Volot.
Agreed, the FA-10 is the better choice for the TC's

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,699 of 2,598
When I ordered the FA-12 I had not planned on purchasing the 1266 and my main headphone was the LCD-4z so at the time that was why I chose the 12 over the 10. If I were to do it again I would probably have picked up the 10 pro since after the 12 arrived I purchased both the 800S and the 1266. Anyways I am sure the Volot will be a nice step up over either the 12 or 10 so I'm looking forward to hearing how that sounds. BTW the 1266 arrived.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,700 of 2,598
When I ordered the FA-12 I had not planned on purchasing the 1266 and my main headphone was the LCD-4z so at the time that was why I chose the 12 over the 10. If I were to do it again I would probably have picked up the 10 pro since after the 12 arrived I purchased both the 800S and the 1266. Anyways I am sure the Volot will be a nice step up over either the 12 or 10 so I'm looking forward to hearing how that sounds. BTW the 1266 arrived.

I’m also interested to see how Volot will handle your he6se.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,701 of 2,598
I’m also interested to see how Volot will handle your he6se.
Yeah I'm interested in seeing how the 6se scales with a powerful amp. This will be the first time I've really powered them properly. I also want to see if the Ether CX benefit from more power.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,702 of 2,598
looking forward for 1266 + FA-12 & Volot impressions :) 1266 is a great HP

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,703 of 2,598
Waiting for a Volot to feed my AB1266 Phi TC as well. Let's hope they ship it as expected and that UPS won't need an ice age to deliver it.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,704 of 2,598
Using the 1266 has been good so far out of the Flux FA-12. I can listen at medium gain around 2-4 o'clock and high gain around 1-3 o'clock. I'm moving the volume knob higher than I am comfortable doing but I'm sure it's just fine as there is no audible distortion or any weird behavior. The fit of the 1266 was a bit of an odd process but watching the Abyss youtube fit video helped and I have it sitting comfortably on my head in a way that seems to maximize the bass performance.

It's hard to say what I'm missing out on until the Volot arrives but my initial impressions were that the 1266 sounded technically better in most ways than the LCD-4z but with a similar tonality. The treble is airy like the 800S, imaging is very precise. mids are nice (maybe a little thinner than the 4z), and bass is powerful and controlled. On some songs with more of a sub bass presence I feel like I'm not getting the bass impact and texture that I was expecting so maybe a more powerful amp will fix this. Just wanted to report that the pairing of the 1266 and FA-12 is going well so far but I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Volot to give the 1266 the power that everyone says they need.

Edit: The sub bass issue was partially fixed by decreasing the gap between the pads and my ears. I had too much of a gap which was causing the bass to behave badly. Now the sub bass presence is better but I still think the Volot will take the bass and overall performance of the 1266 to another level.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #1,705 of 2,598
Using the 1266 has been good so far out of the Flux FA-12. I can listen at medium gain around 2-4 o'clock and high gain around 1-3 o'clock. I'm moving the volume knob higher than I am comfortable doing but I'm sure it's just fine as there is no audible distortion or any weird behavior. The fit of the 1266 was a bit of an odd process but watching the Abyss youtube fit video helped and I have it sitting comfortably on my head in a way that seems to maximize the bass performance.

It's hard to say what I'm missing out on until the Volot arrives but my initial impressions were that the 1266 sounded technically better in most ways than the LCD-4z but with a similar tonality. The treble is airy like the 800S, imaging is very precise. mids are nice (maybe a little thinner than the 4z), and bass is powerful and controlled. On some songs with more of a sub bass presence I feel like I'm not getting the bass impact and texture that I was expecting so maybe a more powerful amp will fix this. Just wanted to report that the pairing of the 1266 and FA-12 is going well so far but I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Volot to give the 1266 the power that everyone says they need.

You are right, if 1266 is not giving the Bass oomph then gotta be the need of more juice .. Volot hopefully should fix it ! Very interested in Volot impressions too

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,706 of 2,598
Anyone in the UK selling their FA-12S please send me a PM.
Owned FA-10 previously, and wanted to give it a try also before looking at FA-10 Pro.

One thing I found with FA-10 was lack of volume dial after at about 1pm on the pot..went from medium to too loud on my main cans if I remember. The incline seemed too steep after a certain point. Wonder if that would be across the board with these amps.

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,707 of 2,598
One thing I found with FA-10 was lack of volume dial after at about 1pm on the pot..went from medium to too loud on my main cans if I remember. The incline seemed too steep after a certain point. Wonder if that would be across the board with these amps.
My FA-12 behaves similarly although it has less power so it probably is less of a noticeable issue. The volume is exponential in how it adds gain (to my ears). 0-12 is not much difference except with iems and 12 and after the volume ramps quickly

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,708 of 2,598
So I have received HEK v2, I’m burn-in it for 200 hours as it seems that it really affect HEK sound (bottom end extension and clean treble from what I have read at Headfonics).

HEK is a really beautiful headphone, massive but light, don’t know why people complain about build quality. Confort is top notch, it just disappear (I have headspot with my HE6se).

I initially listened to HEK at medium gain (FCN-10) : sound was soft and nice (12 o clock), spacious but not HD800s level (but far more coherent). Then I turn up the volume at 1 o clock (sound level was still acceptable for me, I listen medium-loud generally) HEK became more engaging but still behind HE6se immediateness. Then I decided to use high gain, 12 o clock, and now dynamic is far far better, its funny how Flux amp can work because I’m high gain at 1 oclock with HE6se so I was quite surprised…

More A/B comparison with HEK and HE6se (high gain) show me that HEK is not a slow or laid back headphone, a bit behind HE6se but not that far from what I expected. Timbre are great on both : HE6se a bit more robust, HEK a bit more diffuse. I have great hope after burn-in (it really changed my Sundara, far more cleaner).

Last, HEK is very open and airy, you can hear them like small speaker when they play music. Compared to HE6se it is definitely more spacious and open but HE6se is good in term of soundstage, not an intimate headphone.

HEK is a very good headphone, I was worried about timbre and dynamic but it is there. Very spacious and more coherent than HD800s (but not as wide) : however far more musical than 800s. Confort is top notch and it is an eye catching headphone, my HE6se look cheap by comparison.

I took more time with my HE1000 v2 and HE6se v2, I have to say that I have a slight preference for HE6se v2, it has a more direct connection with music, it is a bit more coherent, HE1000 v2 is a great headphone however.

I learnt also some things : HE1000 v2 loves power, I’m sure HE6se can scale greater : even don’t know if Volot would be enough….

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,710 of 2,598
Today I bought a F22, couldn't resist the bright yellow color. It's a combination of the F10/F12 sound. Curious how it sounds with my Grado's.

Is it possible to have the XLR and RCA inputs connected at the same time?

I didn't even know it was released. It was spoiled in a FB post some time ago, but there wasn't any further update on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back