Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
May 28, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #136 of 998
Formula S vs. V550 Vs. Volot vs. Niimbus US4 vs. Soloist 3XP vs. GSX Mini vs. Headtrip 2 = one helluva shootout

Pending the review from soundnews I'll pre-order this and possibly take an L for a couple hundred bucks if it doesn't fit. A preamp would have been nice but my assumption is those damn PCBs have been giving them fits and caused the delay since last October.

I'm hitting refresh every 5-15 minutes on Soundnews right now waiting for that review to pop up (hoping that it was pre-made before todays announcement). I figure if worse comes to worse I can get one secondhand later on, or wait for a revision to come along (VOLOT-Pro anyone?)

@cangle For me to order it is the same for the fees. $150 UPS / $121.46 Paypal fee.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #137 of 998
Paid 2742usd, shipping to Switzerland for me.

May 28, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #138 of 998
Ordered one as well. So far, just got Paypal's transaction confirmation, nothing from Flux Lab.

Same, opted for the bank transfer. No payment instructions and no email confirmation. Should be easily fixed.

May 28, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #140 of 998
Just got a Flux mail, it's a 3 weeks wait.

May 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #141 of 998
May 28, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #142 of 998
Just got a Flux mail, it's a 3 weeks wait.
That's not bad at all. Same amount of time I waited for the FA-12. I'm still waiting on an email from them

Edit: Got a confirmation with the same 3 week wait

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #144 of 998
So no pre amp stage? That's almost a deal-breaker for me, unless it sounds truly extraordinary for the price. That remains to be seen.

Really a pre is that big a deal for your hp amplifier? Do you not have other preamps in your chain now or are you looking for an all in one?

I guess I viewed it as a nice to have but I'd rather they drop the pre-amp so we could get the product than continue to wait for PCBs to get this functionality.

May 28, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #145 of 998
I've 2 questions out to them directly in FB about the VOLOT. They may be answered when the Soundnews review comes out, but we'll see what FLA says directly.

Did you design its sound signature to be closer to the FA10 or the FA10-Pro?
For the VOLOT is there still Pre-Amp functionality or due to supply constraints did you have to remove that option?

I'll reply back when I get a response with their answer.

May 28, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #146 of 998
Really a pre is that big a deal for your hp amplifier? Do you not have other preamps in your chain now or are you looking for an all in one?

I guess I viewed it as a nice to have but I'd rather they drop the pre-amp so we could get the product than continue to wait for PCBs to get this functionality.
It is clearly not an indispensable requirement, obviously, but a good pre amp in this case, can play quite an invaluable role in driving a secondary speaker system, and that is where its potential importance lies for me. That is the short version of my answer.

Now here comes the longer version:
For me, whether the pre amp on an HP-amp is useful or not depends on where it is likely to be installed or deployed in relation to other components in my listening systems. I use my FA-10 as a transportable hp amp for near-field listening. In that role, a pre amp is really not a requirement. I have DACs which come with pre-amp functionalities when needed, or sometimes, I prefer them connected directly to an amp without the interference of any pre amp, and the FA-10 works great in that context.

I envisage a different role for the Volot, particularly, given its massive size, as I do not see it as an easily transportable solution. I want to use it as a replacement for my Violectric V281 which is currently installed in my main 2-Channel stereo/Multichannel HT speaker system, where it doubles as a pre amp for the two front towers for 2-channel stereo listening on speakers.. It shares that role with the processor which runs the entire HT system, which also works great as a pre amp, of course. However, for strictly 2-channel stereo music playing/listening functionality on this speaker system, I normally prefer the V281 serving pre amp duties. In summary, the Volot is likely to be installed in a larger 2-channel/HT Cinema system, in which I would ideally like it double as a pre amp for my stereo speakers, if it sounds better for music than the main dedicated pre amp/processor.

In other words, this is all a matter of personal preference. Even so, the devil is going to be in the details. In the end, it is all going to depend on how the Volot performs. If it turns out to be the demonstrably best sounding amp I can afford for my Susvara and LCD-4, I am still going to buy it, with or without the pre amp.

If, on the other hand, its performance places it on a par with, say, the Violectric V550, for example, the V550 which sports a nice pre amp stage, and sells at a price point that makes it very competitive with the Volot, then opting for the V550 would be a no-brainer (although, in such a scenario, I might consider upping the ante and going for a pre-owned Niimbus US4 (+) on the used amp market instead). It is in this sense that I thought the added pre amp would make the Volot a lot more competitive. Either way, I welcome the Volot as its presence makes the amp market more interesting

That is where things stand now. Everything remains to be proven, and I am heartened to see so many early buyers, which almost assures a fairly good number of early reviews.

PS: Vitally just posted this response to my inquiry about the missing pre amp in FB/PMs:

"A pre-amp version should be available later."

So nothing is really lost... It is just going to take some more waiting, which I can live with, especially now that my new InPol Ear is keeping my cans and my ears in almost constant 24/7 dialogue. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #148 of 998
Well, it has been a long time coming, but it has finally made it, and even beaten its own end-of-May deadline (well, sorta), so credit where it is due, as well as my personal "welcome" to Lady Volot :

tumblr_o082k0OqYV1qe6vsbo1_640.gifv
5c8a6681185d4ab2a46cca31e7f8835f.gif

And yes, there are Voloty of the femaie kind too, in case you're wondering... And Madame Volot is a Mythical sexy slavic giant(ess)

gif.gif
191148810_962234004317614_5364520244540341012_n.jpg

d716add3d05bee9d02ff9e1b254d0609.gif
Music-video_David-Gilmour_The-Girl-in-the-Yellow-Dress_Benjamin-Wiessner_dezeen_sqa.gif

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #149 of 998
I've 2 questions out to them directly in FB about the VOLOT. They may be answered when the Soundnews review comes out, but we'll see what FLA says directly.

Did you design its sound signature to be closer to the FA10 or the FA10-Pro?
For the VOLOT is there still Pre-Amp functionality or due to supply constraints did you have to remove that option?

I'll reply back when I get a response with their answer.
This was the response I received:

The circuitry at Volot is closer to the FA-10 (not Pro). But the sound level is much higher in all aspects. A pre-amp version should be available later. Basic remote control available without additional charge, just leave a request while order confirmation. @decur I'll tag you as it answers your question also :)

May 29, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #150 of 998
This was the response I received:

The circuitry at Volot is closer to the FA-10 (not Pro). But the sound level is much higher in all aspects. A pre-amp version should be available later. Basic remote control available without additional charge, just leave a request while order confirmation. @decur I'll tag you as it answers your question also :)
I asked if the Volot was fully balanced and not just a balanced input and output. I was looking at the Formula S but is not balanced and would degrade my R2R Dac performance. So want to ensure Volot is fully balanced before I consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back