Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #31 of 998
Flux you guys are killing me with this delay! The volot better be a giant killer and better be near the price point discussed... I missed out on 3 great TOTL amps over the past 10 days and it killed me to watch them go on the HF classifieds. I hope I don't regret this wait...

The Egoista for $5k and the Wells Headtrip 2 for $3.5k were hellueva good deals and amazing amps. There is currently a Formula S + Powerman combo listed for an attractive price as well. I just prefer a fully balanced amp with balanced inputs where the Egoista and Formula S are SE only and the Headtrip has a balanced input but is SE topology.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #32 of 998
According to a recent fb post they "hope to present it in a few weeks".

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #33 of 998
Black box on the left :

157072304_912677472606601_3038380666460409230_o.jpg

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 998
Mar 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #35 of 998
Yeah, and it has the photo of the Susvara again. I wonder whether the Susvara is what they're using to tune the amp--officially speaking, if that makes any sense at all.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #36 of 998
Yeah, and it has the photo of the Susvara again. I wonder whether the Susvara is what they're using to tune the amp--officially speaking, if that makes any sense at all.

I hope they are using 1266 Phi TC + Susvara + HE6SE ... That would make sense as the target group for "hard to drive" TOTL target segment. I also wonder about noise floor of the Volot based upon gain settings if you will be able to have a successful pairing with a more sensitive setup.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #37 of 998
I hope they are using 1266 Phi TC + Susvara + HE6SE ... That would make sense as the target group for "hard to drive" TOTL target segment. I also wonder about noise floor of the Volot based upon gain settings if you will be able to have a successful pairing with a more sensitive setup.

I did ask Vitaly about this a while back as i'm using Focal Stellias he was confident they'd good match.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #38 of 998
I can't help noticing that the Volot seems to be bigger than the Atlas that it is standing next to (i.e. assuming that is indeed the Atlas)... The flagship Class amp/pre amp unit seems therefore to be larger than the flagship AIO (Class-A Head-Amplifier / DAC / Pre-Amp / Streamer). Without meaning to sound too naive, might I ask what the engineering reasons might be for such an outcome in design choices that seem to contradict what one might normally be inclined to expect?

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #39 of 998
I can't help noticing that the Volot seems to be bigger than the Atlas that it is standing next to (i.e. assuming that is indeed the Atlas)... The flagship Class amp/pre amp unit seems therefore to be larger than the flagship AIO (Class-A Head-Amplifier / DAC / Pre-Amp / Streamer). Without meaning to sound too naive, might I ask what the engineering reasons might be for such an outcome in design choices that seem to contradict what one might normally be inclined to expect?

More power = bigger power supply, more heatsinking, more output devices = more space needed. At the power it puts out it’s basically a small speaker amp.

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #40 of 998
More power = bigger power supply, more heatsinking, more output devices = more space needed. At the power it puts out it’s basically a small speaker amp.
That sounds about right... the emphasis seems to be on the "more, more" part... It makes you wonder whether that is why it is taking forever to hit the market... Sometimes it almost sounds as if the Volot is a new Sputnik in the works, with the delays and all :slight_smile: :slight_smile::slight_smile:

JbzgB67.gif

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #41 of 998
Headtrip+2+guts1.jpg

index.php

I was very close to making an offer on the Wells Headtrip 2 in the classifieds. These flagship headphone amps look to be built like a tanks and the heatsinks required to cool an amp pushing 15-20 watts @ 50 ohms is quite extensive. I'm no audio engineer but the layout of the Volot seems to be more impressive than the Headtrip and that it's a fully balanced class a topology for the price point where the HT2 is SE is even more impressive.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #42 of 998
That’s not a bad place to start. It could be why the FA-10 works so well with the Susvara’s.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #43 of 998

I look clearly that they use the same Atlas carcass for the Volot. From the pics, is exactly the same layout and size (without the screen and the left pot, and moving the headphone jacks to the right near the volume pot, where is the "DSD" label in Atlas, and putting the "gain" and "source" indicators in the left). Also the ventilation grids on the top change it's location due to the different internal layout of the Volot.

It's so obvius in the image where the Volot is stack on Atlas.

Edit: now, seeing the pics again, I miss the IR receiver in the Volot (I think is the red light near the screen in the Atlas). I thought that Volot will come with a remote :triportsad:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #44 of 998
Black box on the left :

157072304_912677472606601_3038380666460409230_o.jpg

That's gorgeous.

The actual amplifying element seems to be small, the capacitors alone being larger. Guess that implies this beast will be a monster at wrangling out dynamics off headphones. And class A! This would probably be damn amazing at driving speakers if only it had speaker taps.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #45 of 998
The actual amplifying element seems to be small

Transistors are small. It's the amount of heat they generate that takes up the space - see how big the heatsinks are. The separate torroids obviously add to the space requirements. This is basically a low power class A speaker amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back