Flux Lab Acoustics Dual Mono Headphone Amplifier, VOLOT - Mythical Giant or Giant Killer ? News, Speculation, Impressions, reviews and discussion
Apr 30, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #91 of 996
" The entire amplifier is assembled from rather expensive and rare parts, which are very difficult to find a replacement for."

For this testament, supply/production hiccups (delay) for the manufacturer. And repair/maintenance problems for the consumer later on.

Just an opinion.
Another consideration for a prospective Volot buyer. Assuming that Flux Lab is aware of the growing impatience within the demand for Volot, as parts come in, how is expeditious manufacture/assembly going to occur while maintaining high quality control?

From a psychological viewpoint, anticipation can be exciting but if too prolonged it becomes a burden, gets discarded, and people move on. In my mind, a real risk for Flux Lab.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #92 of 996
Viva Egoista 845 for 2.5k is not realistic. Just wait patiently. Eventually it will arrive.

I had a shot at buying one for $4500. Not exactly the same price bracket as Volot but it was a helluva deal. The headtrip 2 I had a shot for $3750 and the HA-300s get listed for $3k.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #93 of 996
All I can say is that I hope some Flux Lab rep is reading this forum regularly and assessing the enthusiasm and degree of posters' anticipation as the days roll by.

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #94 of 996
I had a shot at buying one for $4500. Not exactly the same price bracket as Volot but it was a helluva deal. The headtrip 2 I had a shot for $3750 and the HA-300s get listed for $3k.

For me, I was not that strong enough to resist. So grabbed a Pathos Inpol Ear that was listed at 3.5K Eur.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #95 of 996
Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #96 of 996
For the record, I fully comprehend and appreciate the impatience and frustration of former Volot enthusiasts who have now either jumped off the Volot "hype-train" or are seriously considering jumping off it. I "comprehend and appreciate" them because I have been feeling the same impatience and frustration. The only difference that has kept me from going over the edge or jumping off lies perhaps in my modded FA-10 which is playing a fantastic role as a hold-over in driving my Susvara. I have to also mention that the Susvara is the only reason why I am seeking any amp upgrade at all at this moment, as I have been wondering how much more performance the Volot can squeeze out of it, beyond the already fantastic job the FA-10 is doing.

If you have already jumped off the hype train, this may not be of much interest, but this recent review of the Burson Soloist 3X by Sandu Vitalie has added a little more juice to my stamina for playing the Volot waiting game:

His accompanying write-up is even more enticing, because after comparing the Soloist, which he loves, with the FA-10 and other contenders in a roughly similar price range of Susvara matching performers, he still winds up recommending the Volot as the better upgrade of them all for driving the Susvara. Again this is not for those who have already jumped off the hype train. I am just trying to explain why I am still on it for what it's worth, in spite of my frustration and impatience.

>> Write-up link <<

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #97 of 996
So I was watching an episode of the Abyss YT channel and they mentioned a problem with the Viva Egoista 845 tube amp where they basically left out a very inexpensive component that would have provided protection. It was blowing up some of the 1266 Phi TCs that they were seeing come back with driver damage. They said they reached out to Viva to report the issue and pretty much got a shrug response.

There were also a few reports on the Phonitor X where people were getting driver damage when removing the HP from the SE output jack and it being powered on. They were having to power down the amp to protect the HPs.

I guess my question is with little understanding both Viva and SPL may have taken some shortcuts when it comes to HP amplifier design for safety related issues to protect our cans. I have no idea if the issue in the Phonitor and Egoista are the same or separate. But would be curious if the Volot has proper protections on both the balanced and SE outputs so we can remove and input (hot swap) Hps while powered on and music is playing (say low or matched volumes).

May 12, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #98 of 996
So I was watching an episode of the Abyss YT channel and they mentioned a problem with the Viva Egoista 845 tube amp where they basically left out a very inexpensive component that would have provided protection. It was blowing up some of the 1266 Phi TCs that they were seeing come back with driver damage. They said they reached out to Viva to report the issue and pretty much got a shrug response.

There were also a few reports on the Phonitor X where people were getting driver damage when removing the HP from the SE output jack and it being powered on. They were having to power down the amp to protect the HPs.

I guess my question is with little understanding both Viva and SPL may have taken some shortcuts when it comes to HP amplifier design for safety related issues to protect our cans. I have no idea if the issue in the Phonitor and Egoista are the same or separate. But would be curious if the Volot has proper protections on both the balanced and SE outputs so we can remove and input (hot swap) Hps while powered on and music is playing (say low or matched volumes).
I suppose that you have already seen this in the classifieds. (XI Audio Formula S)

May 12, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #99 of 996
I suppose that you have already seen this in the classifieds. (XI Audio Formula S)
Why don't I ever see the version of the Formula S with XLR inputs in the classifieds?

May 12, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #100 of 996
Why don't I ever see the version of the Formula S with XLR inputs in the classifieds?
They are pretty rare, but I have them on mine. My guess would be since the Formula S is a single-ended design the need for XLR inputs is minimized somewhat. The thing to know about amp is although the Formula S is single-ended it’s still has dual mono amps in it.

May 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #101 of 996
THIS -- for the Formula S and every other nice amp that pops up in the classifieds. :dt880smile:

May 13, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #102 of 996
THIS -- for the Formula S and every other nice amp that pops up in the classifieds. :dt880smile:
Because the formula S performs better on single ended. I've been reading that a lot on the 1266's thread, and on the Formula's product description page.

May 13, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #103 of 996
Because the formula S performs better on single ended. I've been reading that a lot on the 1266's thread, and on the Formula's product description page.
I guess this means that if someone has DACs that output superior signals out of their balanced XLR outputs than they do through their SE outputs, the Formula S without XLR inputs would should be considered a definite no-no. It is simply too expensive for any idea of feeding it signals that are not optimal to make sense, especially if it is paired with a comparably expensive DAC that produces far superior/optimal signals through its XLR outputs.

May 13, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #104 of 996
Thanks for posting this! Yes I've had my eye on this and the other listing...

Question for those with experience with the Formula S... Does the Powerman + Formula S combo make a significant difference? Lets say there are two ads on for $2600 and the combo for $3500. is the Powerman synergy "worth" an extra $1k for any step up in performance?

May 13, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #105 of 996
I guess this means that if someone has DACs that output superior signals out of their balanced XLR outputs than they do through their SE outputs, the Formula S without XLR inputs would should be considered a definite no-no. It is simply too expensive for any idea of feeding it signals that are not optimal to make sense, especially if it is paired with a comparably expensive DAC that produces far superior/optimal signals through its XLR outputs.

That is exactly the concern with my Holo Spring KTE Dac as it's single end outputs are inferior to xlr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back