Flourescent paint tips?
Jan 8, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 25
Hey man try at "Bikeforums.net" sorry if were not allowed to post other forums here but this site is for cyclists what Head-Fi is to Audiophiles

*also prep time makes a HUGE diff. when it comes to painting anything as ive learned this the hard way and repainted my car 3x before I buckled down and did it Right

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatHairyWomyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man try at "Bikeforums.net" sorry if were not allowed to post other forums here but this site is for cyclists what Head-Fi is to Audiophiles

*also prep time makes a HUGE diff. when it comes to painting anything as ive learned this the hard way and repainted my car 3x before I buckled down and did it Right

I know how to prep.

As far as that forum goes, I'll find another route rather than revisit that site.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand this may be... However, flat paint's wet surface flashes off faster creating a semi-dry surface that overspray sticks to but does not blend in. I DO have a little more experience since this IS MY PROFESSION! So understand that this is not the usual headfi pissing match, just sound advice. I did say that you should apply decent paint with a decent gun. Spray cans use highly thinned paint that would require many thin, wet coats to achieve any respectable finish and it is even more important with flat florescent. You could also sand this bad finish and clear coat it.

I know pro painting techniques are much better. I don't have the equipment, nor want to pay that much to get this done that route. Nor do I care to spend the $ to have someone else do it either. I just don't have that kind of money right now, not that I would spend it if I did.

Though I don't know why I didn't consider lightly sanding the roughness off then clearcoating. DUH!

But my question still stands: is Rustoleum better than Krylon for this purpose?

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #20 of 25
I am not sure if it is better. If either paint was decent I would have saved buckets of cash on materials using it instead of expensive paint. It is easier to get a good finish with good paint. Clear coats are easier to handle as they generally have less solids in them. I think a clear coat would be easier to manage and if it is not perfect, you can buff it out. You cannot buff flat paint and most florescent paints are flat.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 25
If you did a good prep job, just leave the paint you've got on the frame and use SEM Chip Guard as a clear coat-it's designed to clear coat lower panels on cars.

It comes in a can, dries pretty tough with a lightly textured finish that looks good on a bike, I did a nice two-tone fade last year on one of my frames with Chip Guard as a clear coat and it's held up great.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no experice painting bikes, but why don't you just try it and see if it works better? Why are you willing to pay for three cans of Krylon but not for one can of Rustoleum without the support of the internet?

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 25
from past experience I think they were the same. Try some automotive spray paint like the bling bling car brakes. If the surface isnt completely smooth you wont get the shiny automotive finish. you need to wet sand like mad with primer and couple coast of whatever your spraying with. If you take the bike to an auto shop they can spray it cheap and clear coat it. Those sprays at the hardware store will chip and after couple months you gonna wish you didnt spray it diy.

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbyers77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no experice painting bikes, but why don't you just try it and see if it works better? Why are you willing to pay for three cans of Krylon but not for one can of Rustoleum without the support of the internet?

Wal-Mart return policy allowed only 1 to be purchased.

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from past experience I think they were the same. Try some automotive spray paint like the bling bling car brakes. If the surface isnt completely smooth you wont get the shiny automotive finish. you need to wet sand like mad with primer and couple coast of whatever your spraying with. If you take the bike to an auto shop they can spray it cheap and clear coat it. Those sprays at the hardware store will chip and after couple months you gonna wish you didnt spray it diy.

I did use a very well prepped surface.

I'm thinking about giving up and using Krylon pumpkin orange since the Skyway mags/Kenda Kontact tires/MacNeil Zoomer grips are almost flourescent orange, but will fade in the sun faster than painted surfaces will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back