Floorstanders + amp advice (2000-3000$).
Feb 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll go to the showroom today and check out few of the usual suspects - B&W, Dynaudio, Totem, Monitor audio, etc.
I have heard Usher tiny Dacer before, and I liked them a lot, but unfortunately I'm looking for floorstanders -and usher's floorstanders are quite expensive (in dancer series anyways)

@Nightowl: yup, melody I2A3 will drive those fine, Triangles are quite sensitive and doesn't need too much power.

6moons audio reviews: Melody I2A3

It's a sexy amp not only on the outside, but inside as well:
hero.jpg

hero6.jpg

Wow...now that is one sexy amp for sure!

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #17 of 23
^ I wonder how they do with K1000s. Hmmmmmm.
I gotta find one to test out myself, but I have yet to find a bad review/comment for the melodies yet. (save for it's only 18 watts! comments)
18W/channel push-pull amp with dead silent background + zero feedback sounds pretty darn good to me.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 23
I realize you're able to spend much more but the Magnepan MMG @$600 is an excellent gateway drug that eases the transition from the snug little world of headphones to the wide open vistas of floor standing adult speakers. The MG 1.6 @ $1700 would be the next Magnepan drug of choice.

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 23
How does maggies handle rock music though? When I had a listen, they were absolutely amazing for classical pieces, not so much for rock (which is 80% of music that I listen to).

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does maggies handle rock music though? When I had a listen, they were absolutely amazing for classical pieces, not so much for rock (which is 80% of music that I listen to).

That's why the Strata Mini are so awesome. Combines 8" woofer with magneplanar for the bass. Something you can do too, with the MMG.

Grab the MMG and grab an 8" sub.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 23
Best speakers i heard under $5000:

Anthony Gallo Nucleus reference lll
TTVJ sells them. Beat out B&W, Focal JM Lab, Paradigm, and others, to my ears.
------------------------------
Good value on an amp..... Bryston ST series, used.
Vincent makes nice amps too... Audio Advisor
Prima Luna - Upscale Audio - Rare Tubes, Highest Fidelity
Parasound, Rotel
------------------------------

Also, Audio Advisor has some KEF towers on sale cheap, and subs. www.audioadvisor.com

-----------------------------------

More speakers - http://www.musicdirect.com/category/33

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 23
I have Magnepan MMGs with two cheap 8" Yamaha subs and they play classical and hard rock just fine. Magnepan has a 60 day money back (less shipping charges) guarantee so you can't go wrong.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #23 of 23
Martin Logan makes some nice electrostats with 8" and 10" woofers. I auditioned a pair last weekend and fell in love. They had a dark sound to them, but it was still very clear and well defined. Im not sure of the model I was listening to, but they were about $4500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back