FLC Technology - New FLC 8N - Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #286 of 304
Hey everyone - so I've been playing around with the Fiio FH5 which I own and now testing out the FH7 and I have to say the soundstage is really not comparable to my FLC8S that I own. The issue is that the left driver is quieter (checked, no ear wax) and the cables keep breaking. I have a FLC8D that I never used cause it came with a balanced cable but I'm hopefully ordering an adaptor that will work. I see that on lendmeurears the FLC8p is going for $200USD. Would this be a worthwhile pickup? I realize I love the FLC sound (at least the 8S sound, it's insane). I was tempted to get the Blessing2 but the reviews say the soundstage isn't that great, which is something I realize that FLC does so well.

Is the FLC8N worth it for $150 more? Any input would be useful. Also any idea if Forrest would be able to look at my 8S and get it fixed somehow? This is a totally legendary IEM if you ask me.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #287 of 304
If you have the 8D, get the converter and listen to the unit before you do anything else. I think the 8D is unbelievably good. I think the 8P is a cost reduced 8D. Plastic instead of metal.

I had my 8S repaired via LMUE. They were very cool about the whole thing and my replacement 8S had much better tolerance values for the various filters and plugs. So the replacement was really good. But the 8D had the low end filters I really liked already baked in so there were less items to lose so I sold the 8S and kept the 8D. I have an LZA7 that sounds good, but they don't fit as well as the FLC8S or D.

The 8D deserved a lot more loving than it received. Forrest just wasn't all that good at marketing and somehow never got people involved in reviewing that unit.

I am not sure it matters but methinks the 8S used Knowles units whereas other members of the 8 series used BA from another vendor. I don't think that it matters as I have never heard a complaints on these forums about the BA performance from any member of the series.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #290 of 304
If you have the 8D, get the converter and listen to the unit before you do anything else. I think the 8D is unbelievably good. I think the 8P is a cost reduced 8D. Plastic instead of metal.

I had my 8S repaired via LMUE. They were very cool about the whole thing and my replacement 8S had much better tolerance values for the various filters and plugs. So the replacement was really good. But the 8D had the low end filters I really liked already baked in so there were less items to lose so I sold the 8S and kept the 8D. I have an LZA7 that sounds good, but they don't fit as well as the FLC8S or D.

The 8D deserved a lot more loving than it received. Forrest just wasn't all that good at marketing and somehow never got people involved in reviewing that unit.

I am not sure it matters but methinks the 8S used Knowles units whereas other members of the 8 series used BA from another vendor. I don't think that it matters as I have never heard a complaints on these forums about the BA performance from any member of the series.
What's the way of seeing if LMUE can fix my FLC8S? I purchased them from Amazon in 2018 I think. Also isn't the 8P just the 8N with a plastic housing? I figure I won't have a problem with the plastic housing considering that the 8S is plastic and it's great. I guess I will hold out on hearing the 8D before I decide if it's worth an additional $150 for the metal housing of the 8N vs 8P.

Btw does anyone here have opinions on the DD31? Thinking of grabbing a backup pair in case something dies and I need some IEMs.

Thanks everyone still remember our products, we'll register an Amazon store very soon and provide better and cheaper products to you all.

This is great news Forrest - can't wait! Do you happen to know what I can do about getting my 8S fixed? The left driver is quieter than the right. Thank you!

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #291 of 304
I have N and D. There's no major difference between the two if you don't want to drop the bass much lighter than the D has. D is actually superior in terms of isolation/wind noise, and consistent ear-feel with the pressure relief (N can be more or less open depending on the bass filters used). N can maybe sound and feel a little more open, a little more natural with the bass. Again, no major difference - just get your adapter and see how you like it.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #292 of 304

What's the way of seeing if LMUE can fix my FLC8S? I purchased them from Amazon in 2018 I think. Also isn't the 8P just the 8N with a plastic housing? I figure I won't have a problem with the plastic housing considering that the 8S is plastic and it's great. I guess I will hold out on hearing the 8D before I decide if it's worth an additional $150 for the metal housing of the 8N vs 8P.
I doubt the FLC8S was purchased via Amazon unless it was through MusicTek. In which case your warranty support is MusicTek not LMUE. Better yet, contact Forrest who has just been active on the forums and ask him what to do. You may be out of warranty by the way.

Adaptors for 2.5 balanced to 3.5 single ended are about $20 on Amazon (you need a specific adaptor, nothing generic). Worth a try for sure. There are also probably cables for the 8D to directly go single ended. My 8D came with a free upgrade to 2.5 and I was happy to have that. I do have a converter that I use with my PC and other devices and its great.

The 8D is really good and the cost of getting them going is very modest. Nuff said.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #293 of 304

Btw does anyone here have opinions on the DD31? Thinking of grabbing a backup pair in case something dies and I need some IEMs.

This is great news Forrest - can't wait! Do you happen to know what I can do about getting my 8S fixed? The left driver is quieter than the right. Thank you!
The only way to fix them is sending them back to us.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #294 of 304

DD31 is made of a 8.6mm Biological diaphragm dynamic speaker, has very good treble extension and excellent bass.

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #295 of 304
Forrest. I really look forward to you having a greater presence on these forums and Amazon. I have heard a lot of IEMs and I still like the 8S and the 8D the best. Though I must admit your LZ competitor does a good job. Ibasso has a solid presence here in the forums and it really helps them. James at FIIO shows up a fair amount and it helps him too. I have purchased from all four brands; I like to support vendors that support the users.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #296 of 304
Forrest. I really look forward to you having a greater presence on these forums and Amazon. I have heard a lot of IEMs and I still like the 8S and the 8D the best. Though I must admit your LZ competitor does a good job. Ibasso has a solid presence here in the forums and it really helps them. James at FIIO shows up a fair amount and it helps him too. I have purchased from all four brands; I like to support vendors that support the users.
Thanks for the feedback!
Our company's strategy was wrong from the beginning, we too much on distributors.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #297 of 304
Thanks for the feedback!
Our company's strategy was wrong from the beginning, we too much on distributors.
Looking forward to seeing more of your products. I was actually just about to ask if anyone has found anything better than FLC8n/d yet. So glad to see your planing to get more active. I did buy some other brand, but it wasnt an upgrade at all (https://porta.fi/imr-rah-review-you-snooze-you-lose/). Nowhere near yours overall. Just one thing stood out. The planar driver for the mids was really nice. Showed lovely details in piano and in general that was very noticable, that your FLC8 do not. So I am hoping for some planar or new driver with similar detail capabilities.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #298 of 304
Looking forward to seeing more of your products. I was actually just about to ask if anyone has found anything better than FLC8n/d yet. So glad to see your planing to get more active. I did buy some other brand, but it wasnt an upgrade at all (https://porta.fi/imr-rah-review-you-snooze-you-lose/). Nowhere near yours overall. Just one thing stood out. The planar driver for the mids was really nice. Showed lovely details in piano and in general that was very noticable, that your FLC8 do not. So I am hoping for some planar or new driver with similar detail capabilities.
And great job on the sound imaging. I use this clip to test environment sound immersion. At the end when the spaceship moves past and behind you, it really sounds like it goes behind you and to the right. The IMR Rah just produced a sound where you heard it was coming from two speakers in your ears. No such thing as 3d space. Great job Forrest!

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #299 of 304
Hey guys I lost my FLC8N and wasn't following the IEM market for a while, I wonder if someone here has an advice - what are the current best contenders of FLC8N? Or is FLC8N still the best for the price?
Also it seems the price has gone up a great deal. I got mine for ~300$ for $500 that may be hard to justify ugh

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #300 of 304
Hey guys I lost my FLC8N and wasn't following the IEM market for a while, I wonder if someone here has an advice - what are the current best contenders of FLC8N? Or is FLC8N still the best for the price?
Also it seems the price has gone up a great deal. I got mine for ~300$ for $500 that may be hard to justify ugh
I currently have my FLC8D listed for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back