Flawless albums
Oct 26, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #481 of 941
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World

It is really, really amazing and never ceases to blow my mind every listen. The whole album just plays really well. My favorite track has to be Mortal Share though. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #482 of 941
check out opeth's heritage, though the music might not be too spectacular, it was recorded and engineered perfectly.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #483 of 941

Quote:
That's a tough ask and one that requires a  high level of honesty with one's self (still obviously very subjective).  There are so very many that come close.  Many (of my) albums are too unusual or 'out there' to even consider for this, because they have very limited appeal to others so it is harder to judge their worth beyond very personal impressions.

So very few albums are a perfect ten and contain absolutely no filler.  My criteria would be that every single track is engaging and moves one to sing, dance, cry, ponder or laugh, and not to skip, ignore or otherwise dismiss.  A few to begin with:

The Beatles - Abbey Road (no, Octopus' Garden is not filler, it's a children's song and a valid one at that)
James Brown - A CD of JB - Sex Machine and Other Soul Classics
Coroner - Grin
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
Jacques Loussier Trio - Satie
Morphine - Good
Morphine - Yes
The Necks - Aether (and other albums by this band ;c)
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Radiohead - THE BENDS (a lot of you forget about this one, but on balance, this fits my criteria)
Shellac - Live at Action Park
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
Ween - Quebec

Someone finally mentioned the Beatle's "Abbey Road"....that took too long to get mentioned LOL.....
Frank Sinatra said the "Something" track was one of the best love songs ever....The sound quality and uniqueness of that sound quality in "Come Together" is striking....."Here Comes the Sun" is just a joy to listen to time and again....It is simply a fantastic album, and a fitting way for the beatles to leave the scene to to speak....(It also of course has an album cover that has become an icon...)

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #484 of 941

Quote:
Someone finally mentioned the Beatle's "Abbey Road"....that took too long to get mentioned LOL.....
Frank Sinatra said the "Something" track was one of the best love songs ever....The sound quality and uniqueness of that sound quality in "Come Together" is striking....."Here Comes the Sun" is just a joy to listen to time and again....It is simply a fantastic album, and a fitting way for the beatles to leave the scene to to speak....(It also of course has an album cover that has become an icon...)

I agree with this 99.9% - "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is the .01% that's just enough to disqualify that album.  Maybe it's interesting the first few times, but once you know the "story" of the lyrics, it's really just an annoying, easily-skipped song, in my opinion.  I think Lennon was right when he called it "Paul's granny music" lol.  

Edit:  .1% - me no math understand. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #485 of 941
Tricky- Maxinquay
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine
The Clash- Sandinista
Rolling Stones- Exile on Main Street

Thats all I have off the top of my head....

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #486 of 941
Emmerdale -The Cardigans

That's about as close as it gets for me under the criteria for the thread.  There are albums I like more than this (Sgt. Pepper, August & Everything After, etc.) but this is the only album where I greatly enjoy the sounds of EVERY track.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #487 of 941
I actually can't think of any right now. I just did a full system upgrade though, and I am hoping the new parts open up music I couldn't listen to before subscribing to this thread so I can see other people's answers for now.

The closest I can get to that is Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. On a great setup the whole album is a journey.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #488 of 941
Van Halen's first (self-titled) album was 100% awesome, it rocked in the best way. They should have just quit there as it was all downhill after that.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #489 of 941
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #490 of 941
Dopesmoker is *amazing.*

Pinnacles of doomy stoner metal:

'Dopesmoker' by Sleep
'Dopethrone' by Electric Wizard
'Welcome to Sky Valley' by Kyuss

And pretty much anything from the first half of Boris's career. \m/

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #492 of 941

I'm going to join the Janelle Monae love fest. This is the best concept album in years. Proves you can't always judge an album by it's cover or it's producer (P. Diddy)

I can't explain it but for some reason I love Beach House - Teen Dream.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #493 of 941
Yeah, Dopesmoker and Holy Mountain are pretty much equally as good so far as I'm concerned--I sort of swing back and forth between the two, and I'm currently swinging toward Dopesmoker. It's just so monolithic.

Quote:

Don't forget Dragonaut by Sleep, its the best in my  opinion

Janelle Monae is a miracle-worker. She makes it seem so easy. Last year was a pretty good year for the album (as opposed to 'the single') I thought, and The ArchAndroid exists somewhere near the top of the 'best-of' list 2010 in my book. That said, it seems to me like there have been quite a few decent-to-great concept (or perhaps just strongly themed) albums in the past couple of years: 'Paracletus' by Deathspell Omega, 'The Suburbs' by Arcade Fire, 'Crack the Skye' by Mastodon, 'Embyronic' by The Flaming Lips (arguably), 'Deathconsciousness' by Have a Nice Life, just to name a few. They seem to be making a bit of a come back, both in the mainstream and in indie land.

Quote:

I'm going to join the Janelle Monae love fest. This is the best concept album in years. Proves you can't always judge an album by it's cover or it's producer (P. Diddy)

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #495 of 941
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

Did someone already mention Aja? 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back