Flawless albums
Aug 26, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #451 of 941
Adele - 21
Adele - 19

Love both these albums, never skipped a track so far. They're flawless IMO, 21 being more preferred over 19 tho.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #456 of 941
Adele's one of the best vocalists alive, but some of the production work on 21 was downright sad IMHO. Rick Rubin squished the dynamic range out of his stuff, and some idiot turned on the autotune in Set Fire to the Rain. That's like PhotoShopping Picasso. Hearing the songs live, to me, is just a can't miss experience.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #457 of 941

Quote:
Adele's one of the best vocalists alive, but some of the production work on 21 was downright sad IMHO. Rick Rubin squished the dynamic range out of his stuff, and some idiot turned on the autotune in Set Fire to the Rain. That's like PhotoShopping Picasso. Hearing the songs live, to me, is just a can't miss experience.

Ditto

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #458 of 941
I agree about her voice, though I wouldn't quite call her a Picasso:)

But the thing is, I feel like the material could be a lot better.  I look forward to hearing how the material develops as she grows and writes more without intrusion from others.

One thing which drives me crazy is the very obvious punch

"I can't help feeling"

punch...

"we could have had it allllllllll"

She obviously needed to break to garner up the power to hit the chorus, but the punch is so obvious and very unfortunate.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #460 of 941

She pulls it off quite well live, but they transpose it down by a half-step, maybe she was singing out of her range in the studio version. Anyway, she said she wants to produce, mix, and master her next album herself, whch I'm happy about because it can't get much worse from the production side.
Quote:
I agree about her voice, though I wouldn't quite call her a Picasso:)

But the thing is, I feel like the material could be a lot better.  I look forward to hearing how the material develops as she grows and writes more without intrusion from others.

One thing which drives me crazy is the very obvious punch

"I can't help feeling"

punch...

"we could have had it allllllllll"

She obviously needed to break to garner up the power to hit the chorus, but the punch is so obvious and very unfortunate.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #462 of 941

Quote:
She pulls it off quite well live, but they transpose it down by a half-step, maybe she was singing out of her range in the studio version. Anyway, she said she wants to produce, mix, and master her next album herself, whch I'm happy about because it can't get much worse from the production side.

It's going to be great I think

She definitely has the gift.  As far as I'm concerned she's the only mainstream pop star active right now with any credibility outside the pop world.  In 20 years time she will be more well known that Perry or Gaga or Rihanna.... it's exciting to watch her develop.  My feeling is that by the time she reaches about 30, her first 2 albums will be considered excellent considering her age, but will hopefully not compare with her more mature work.  I'm anticipating her next album:)

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #463 of 941

Quote:
Janelle Monae's The ArchAndroid is the closest thing I've ever heard to a perfect album.

Certainly one of the best pop albums to hit in the last decade or so. Doesn't get nearly the attention that it should. The only quibble I have with it is the Kevin Barnes led 'Make the Bus,' sort of a bump in the album's overall flow, not that it's necessarily a bad track in and of itself. Really can't wait to see what she does with Suite IV.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #464 of 941
+1 on the Janelle Monae's "The ArchAndroid".  Don't know if these have been mentioned but:
The Kinks- "Village Green Preservation Society"
Slint- "Spiderland"
Nick Drake- "Pink Moon"
Wilco- "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
Elton John- "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
Modest Mouse- "The Lonesome Crowded West"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back