Flawless albums
Sep 13, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #466 of 941

Quote:

Certainly one of the best pop albums to hit in the last decade or so. Doesn't get nearly the attention that it should. The only quibble I have with it is the Kevin Barnes led 'Make the Bus,' sort of a bump in the album's overall flow, not that it's necessarily a bad track in and of itself. Really can't wait to see what she does with Suite IV.

Admittedly, I've never heard of Janelle Monae before but I am certainly going to give it a listen after this, Along with as many as possible of the other recommendations on this thread.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #467 of 941
Make the Bus is one of my personal favorites, but I get your point. I love how she can go from an acoustic, Beatle-y song like Oh, Maker, to making guitar impressions on Come Alive, to full-on James Brown-style funk on Tightrope in the blink of an eye. And it really pushed the boundaries for what pop music can be in the 21st century, 808 drums and horn sections and string ensembles combined. Anyway,enough talking, I have to find a way to pre-order Suite IV.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Certainly one of the best pop albums to hit in the last decade or so. Doesn't get nearly the attention that it should. The only quibble I have with it is the Kevin Barnes led 'Make the Bus,' sort of a bump in the album's overall flow, not that it's necessarily a bad track in and of itself. Really can't wait to see what she does with Suite IV.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #468 of 941
Yeah, the track itself is fine, and I've always had a soft spot for Kevin Barnes and his band, Of Montreal. It's just that the rest of the album flows so steadily despite its unholy mishmash of genres and styles that when you suddenly, for all intents and purposes, get an Of Montreal track thrown into the middle of a Janelle Monae album, well, it sort of breaks the spell a little bit. Try listening to the whole album but skip Make the Bus sometime, just go straight to Wondaland from Neon Valley Street.

If Barnes appears at all in Suite IV, I hope it's just as back-up.

Quote:
Make the Bus is one of my personal favorites, but I get your point. I love how she can go from an acoustic, Beatle-y song like Oh, Maker, to making guitar impressions on Come Alive, to full-on James Brown-style funk on Tightrope in the blink of an eye. And it really pushed the boundaries for what pop music can be in the 21st century, 808 drums and horn sections and string ensembles combined. Anyway,enough talking, I have to find a way to pre-order Suite IV.
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #470 of 941

Quote:
The best I've come across so far:AC/DC - Back In BlackThe Beach Boys - Pet SoundsThe Beatles - Abbey RoadThe Beatles - Magical Mystery TourThe Beatles - RevolverThe Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club BandThe Black Keys - BrothersBurning Spear - Marcus GarveyChet Baker - Chet Baker SingsChet Baker - It Could Happen To YouThe Congos - Heart of the CongosDeath Cab For Cutie - TransatlanticismDeath Cab For Cutie - We Have The Facts and We're Voting YesThe Doors - The DoorsFleet Foxes - Fleet FoxesFred Neil - Fred NeilGirls - Broken Dreams Club (EP)Grateful Dead - American BeautyGrizzly Bear - VeckatimestIggy Pop - Lust For LifeIggy Pop - The IdiotJanis Joplin - PearlJoy Division - Unknown PleasuresThe Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?The Libertines - The LibertinesThe Libertines - Up the BracketOasis - Definitely MaybeOasis - (What's The Story) Morning GloryPeter Doherty - Grace/WastelandsPink Floyd - MeddlePink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of DawnPJ Harvey - Let England ShakeRadiohead - In RainbowsRamones - RamonesRamones - Rocket To RussiaThe Rolling Stones - AftermathThe Rolling Stones - Sticky FingersScott Walker - ScottSex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex PistolsThe Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese DreamSpiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in SpaceThe Stooges - Raw PowerTame Impala - InnerspeakerThe Velvet Underground - LoadedThe Velvet Underground - The Velvet UndergroundThe Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & NicoThe Wailers - ExodusThe Wailers - KayaThe Zombies - Odessey & Oracle 

Quote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I am still updating my list on page 24. It's getting pretty long but I just can't fault any of those albums.

I'm not intimately familiar with every album you mention, but I do think that magical mystery tour is a highly flawed album.  Flying, Blue Jay Way and Your Mother Should Know all consecutive is weak and Hello Goodbye is a sub-par song in my opinion.  I would pick and prod at some of your other inclusions, but that's the only one that really sticks out.

Very cool list though!  I probably would only call 3 or 4 albums flawless if I were to really meet the definition of the word, but there's so many near flawless albums out there and you named quite a few!

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #471 of 941

Quote:

I'm not intimately familiar with every album you mention, but I do think that magical mystery tour is a highly flawed album.  Flying, Blue Jay Way and Your Mother Should Know all consecutive is weak and Hello Goodbye is a sub-par song in my opinion.  I would pick and prod at some of your other inclusions, but that's the only one that really sticks out.
Very cool list though!  I probably would only call 3 or 4 albums flawless if I were to really meet the definition of the word, but there's so many near flawless albums out there and you named quite a few!

Blasphemy!  
basshead.gif
  J/k, but I do count Blue Jay Way as one of my favorite tracks by the Beatles.  I just love the phased-out, trippy quality of the backup vox and the organ.   I really like all of George's tracks, come to think of it... And yet I've never bothered looking into his solo stuff at all.  Any suggestions on where to start? 

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #472 of 941
You can do no wrong with the album 'All Things Must Pass.' So many classic, perfect tracks on there.

Quote:
Blasphemy!  
basshead.gif
  J/k, but I do count Blue Jay Way as one of my favorite tracks by the Beatles.  I just love the phased-out, trippy quality of the backup vox and the organ.   I really like all of George's tracks, come to think of it... And yet I've never bothered looking into his solo stuff at all.  Any suggestions on where to start? 

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #473 of 941

Quote:

Well most of those albums are so close to perfection that I decided to include them in this thread anyway (notice that I said they were the best I've come across so far, this will most definitely change in the future). I'd agree with you on 'Flying' and 'Your Mother Should Know' being the weaker tracks on that album but I really like Hello Goodbye and (especially) Blue Jay Way. Magical Mystery Tour, on the whole, is a very underrated album in my opinion. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #474 of 941
Oct 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #475 of 941

Quote:
Blasphemy!  
basshead.gif

All Things Must Pass is phenomenal.....the mix is terrible on most songs and even George admitted this in later years.  The remaster is also very awkward.  They changed the sequencing a bit by putting bonus tracks in the middle of the album and the remaster is also way too bright and to top that off the cover art was colorized....

But the material itself is as good as any solo Beatles album and in my opinion, a better album than Layla by Derek & The Dominoes which used largely the same cast of musicians.

The album titled simply George Harrison which was from 1979 is probably his second best....but in some ways I prefer it.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #477 of 941
Yeah, I can't stand bonus tracks. It's like tacking on unneeded chapters to the end of the book, or like those movies that have seven endings, when the first one would have done just fine. That said, it drives me even more nuts when CD and vinyl releases of the same album are sequenced differently, or are missing *important* tracks on one of the formats. Or when 'deluxe' albums don't just tack on bonus tracks or demos or remixes, but also re-sequence the album. >.<

Quote:
Awesome!  Now I know what to pick up this weekend.  I will probably hunt out the original, as to me, adding tracks to an album after the fact is kind of against the album code lol.  Thanks, everyone.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #478 of 941
The Doors Perception CD boxed set did a pretty good job for my preferences. It contains the 1999 remastered editions of all the albums, while the DVD-Audio discs contain new (2006) "40th Anniversary" remixes of them. Each album includes extra tracks consisting of previously unreleased session outtakes, which I don't mind personally as I listen through iTunes and can de-select the bonus tracks if I want but I enjoy them so I never do. I also have the Rhino remastered vinyl box set of their original albums which are outstanding and do justice to the original releases right down to the mono 1st LP and replicated packaging. As they were all originally released in vinyl this satisfies the purist in me. Both sets are flawless IMO, a great body of work. I used to have all of the original vinyl albums but a few grew legs while they were being stored. The bonuses of the Rhino version are improved mastering and 180 gram pressings.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #479 of 941

Users who are viewing this thread

Back