Flawless albums
Jun 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #301 of 941

Quote:
Quote:

This might be the greatest album ever(never heard before) but there's something fundamentally wrong with the cover. I mean would you look at that: the shirt, the ring, sideburns and that poor litlle kitten. And don't tell me that's his real name
eek.gif

Very rarely I'm judging the music by album art, and I found some real treasures while browsing this thread, but I just can't force myself to listen to this. It creeps me out and makes me laugh at the same time
biggrin.gif

I had the same weird reaction when I saw this posting too. I think giedrys was trying to be serious. Very creepy picture for sure.
tongue.gif

Are you kidding?  With that cover, he's poised to charm many single women once they reach a certain age: good looking, soulful eyes, and he like cats!

(I discussed this with my wife; she agrees he'll hit the demographic if his music is any good).

- Ed

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #302 of 941

Quote:
I think I see where you're coming from.  Imo DSOTM can sound dated, due to a combination of regular song structures and the use of "period instruments".  However, I posit that it takes maximum talent and focus to create an album of four minute pop songs as a flawless example of sublime art than it is an album of mostly structureless free-form meandering works, as is WYWH.  Don't get me wrong, I usually prefer the more experimental side if Floyd, but to combine the experimental 'ethic' with more conforming structures and sequencing successfully requires more focus and cohesion of all elements (especially band members) to truly succeed.   Your earlier post about 'going for it' inspired mine on the topic 
beerchug.gif

Perhaps DSOTM is Pink Floyd's moment of fruition, and after that the indulgence and decline.

Couldn't have said it better!
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #303 of 941

Quote:
Surprised to see Dark Side of the Moon on here so much.  "Money" is one of the most popular filler songs of all time IMHO.  The rest is absolutely flawless though. 
wink.gif

Animals, Meddle, and Wish You Were Here are all pretty much perfect, as previously mentioned.  I listen to too much Floyd.

I'd add Quadrophenia and Tommy to the list, but since they're rock operas I think they kind of bend the rules...

There's no such thing as too much Floyd!
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #304 of 941

Quote:
Who's Next - The Who    The greatest rock album ever! IMHO
Islands - King Crimson    My all time fav.
Town & Country - Humble Pie 
Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds
Neil Young - On the Beach
Pure Prairie League - Bustin' Out
Robin Tower -  Bridge of Sighs
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing
Six AM - The Herion Diaries
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond

OK I'll stop.
dt880smile.png

I just recently discovered Captain Beyond, and while I wouldn't put it on this list, it's pretty awesome!

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #305 of 941

Quote:

Less philosophy? Hypnotized by the pretty colors, are we?
L3000.gif

Paul Simon - Paul Simon

Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun

Arto Lindsay - Mundo Civilizado

Wow! I was not expecting to see this Arto Lindsay record on here. In fact I am the only person I know who owns or has even heard this great record. Nice One!
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #306 of 941
"Money" a filler song???  I used to think that too, but the time signature change alone shows there's more there than initially meets the ears. It's not my favorite track on the album, but I have more respect for it years later.

Dark SIde was collaborative effort. Gilmour and Waters still worked together.

Wish You Were Here signaled the beginning of fragmentation. Waters and Gilmour were moving away from any real collaboration. Every subsequent album becomes more and more of a Waters project featuring his backup band, the floyd. In fact, the last Pink Floyd (version1) album, The Final Cut, is clearly a Waters solo effort. It has more in common with Waters' solo albums than any Floyd album. The band were almost studio musicians by then, except Wright who was OFFICIALLY a hired gun on the Wall after quitting/being fired during its recording and was not even on the Final Cut.

None of this is criticism, I love all the albums, even Ummagumma and the More OST. I really love Waters solo stuff. Gilmour's not so much. And Pink Floyd version 2 starting with A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is not quite the same, but has some gems. As a touring band though, Gilmour deserves major credit for keeping it all going another 10+ years.

Too bad Waters didn't come around sooner. If he and Gilmour mended fences 10 years ago, and Wright was still alive, we might have had Pink FLoyd version 3. Imagine the possibilities.
Now we'll be lucky if we can even get a Page/Plant type of album from them.  

"if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you in....court!" 
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #307 of 941

Quote:
"Money" a filler song???  I used to think that too, but the time signature change alone shows there's more there than initially meets the ears. It's not my favorite track on the album, but I have more respect for it years later.

Dark SIde was collaborative effort. Gilmour and Waters still worked together.

Wish You Were Here signaled the beginning of fragmentation. Waters and Gilmour were moving away from any real collaboration. Every subsequent album becomes more and more of a Waters project featuring his backup band, the floyd. In fact, the last Pink Floyd (version1) album, The Final Cut, is clearly a Waters solo effort. It has more in common with Waters' solo albums than any Floyd album. The band were almost studio musicians by then, except Wright who was OFFICIALLY a hired gun on the Wall after quitting/being fired during its recording and was not even on the Final Cut.

None of this is criticism, I love all the albums, even Ummagumma and the More OST. I really love Waters solo stuff. Gilmour's not so much. And Pink Floyd version 2 starting with A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is not quite the same, but has some gems. As a touring band though, Gilmour deserves major credit for keeping it all going another 10+ years.

Too bad Waters didn't come around sooner. If he and Gilmour mended fences 10 years ago, and Wright was still alive, we might have had Pink FLoyd version 3. Imagine the possibilities.
Now we'll be lucky if we can even get a Page/Plant type of album from them.  

"if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you in....court!" 
biggrin.gif

Very well put, I also think "Money" has its place in DSOTM, its a got such a unique sound signature. Its a very clever pop song and helps break the album up, it sounds cynical and humorous. I think thats what it was meant to be, as it is about Money after all.

In regards to musicians staying together, I consider myself very lucky that I've kept friends with a band member for over 20 yrs and we still perform and record (although just for fun now). Its a respect thing, once thats gone its over! Plus the older you get, the more you stray into other musical preferences and ideas, and you end up fighting for more control. There's not many bands last because of this I think, unless there is only one song writer.   

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #308 of 941
I'm a big Stones fan, but If I had to pick another album to be near flawless (apart from Exile) then it would be this. This was their best period for me.

Goats Head Soup

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #309 of 941
I love the stones as well. Interesting choice. Has some real classics on it but I never liked it as a whole album. Here's my pick for the only 2 post-exile flawless stones albums IMHO:

Quote:
I'm a big Stones fan, but If I had to pick another album to be near flawless (apart from Exile) then it would be this. This was their best period for me.

Goats Head Soup

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #310 of 941

Quote:
Wow! I was not expecting to see this Arto Lindsay record on here. In fact I am the only person I know who owns or has even heard this great record. Nice One!
beerchug.gif

…sounds like you need to shout a little louder…or throw a party and make sure the DJ spins some Arto…
biggrin.gif

Fela and Afrika 70 - Zombie
…a bit hesitant about recommending Fela Kuti because his music has been flipped all kinds of ways upon export from Nigeria. The latest version of his big hit "Zombie" is backed by "Mr Follow Follow", but the one from the '80s that paired it with the tracks "Monkey Banana" and "Everything Scatter" was genuinely flawless.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #313 of 941
Its a tough question to answer, since there are so many of them, but here are the albums that have influenced me the most, over my blessed 24 years on this planet:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV : The biggest band on the planet proves how big they are with this album. Purely encore-worthy, and obviously, Sir Robert Plant with his superb persona and vocals. 

The Beatles - Abbey Road : The best Beatles album IMHO. The Medley is the highlight.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band : One of those albums that dont make you feel that musical but always fresh whenever you listen to it.

Radiohead - OK Computer : Takes a lot of time to fall in love with this album (took me atleast 50 listens), but once you reach that point, it becomes a part of your DNA. The final sequence in Let Down is one of the most beautiful pieces of music that's hit my eardrums. Also, who can forget Thom's ending Karma Police.

Radiohead - In Rainbows : One Word - Beautiful. This is as beautiful as beautiful can get. Its amazing how Radiohead keep re-inventing themselves with every successive album. You never know what to expect. Oh, and Reckoner is one track which, for me, is UP THERE.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill : This album always makes me jive and sing-along happily.

Anoushka Shanker and Karsh Kale - Breathing Under Water : Great package with unique sounds and varied vibe throughout the album. Also, in some tracks, its like the sitar is conversing with you. A spiritual experience.

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP : This album was my gateway to hip-hop music.

2Pac - Until The End of Time

Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death

Notorious B.I.G. - Born Again

Dido - No Angel : Oh I love all the tracks on this albums. Dido's vocals are very atmospheric and coupled with deep bass, its pure bliss. How about the track Isobel? Thats some dark stuff there. And Thank You is as easy going and chill out as one can get. Light keyboard, deep bass, and warm, lush vocals.

Pink Floyd - DSOTM : Nuff Said

Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can : Laura's powerful vocals blend perfectly with her acoustic guitar. And great lyrics too.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #315 of 941
Live - Throwing Copper. This is an amazing work, no filler (at least in my opinion).
Rush - Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Counterparts (all strong albums start to finish, but almost all Rush albums are).
Radiohead - Kid A
Tool - Lateralus, 10,000 Days
Thievery Corporation - The Cosmic Game

Just a few

Users who are viewing this thread

Back