Flawless albums
Jun 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #287 of 941
A good contender for the most flawless album of all time could be this. (I actually prefer Abbey Road) but you can't argue that there isn't a bad song on here (especially the Ringo filler!). A great time for the Beatles, the drugs had taken effect but they hadn't quite taken over. (drugs are bad)

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #288 of 941

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, most interesting.  I think we all know that there can be no such thing as flawless, even as "subjective" as music ofcourse is. Without getting into any philosophical discussion I would also just like to point out that "objectivity" is always possible with music too, as much as any kind of "objectivity" is used within in anything. So, although I don't like certain music, doesn't mean that I can't appreciate why others do. In that respect, could there be an absolutely flawless album with everyone agreeing....

The objective part could be sound quality, at least it should be easier to find a consensus on that part of the equation. The content part is much more subjective...

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #289 of 941

Quote:
A good contender for the most flawless album of all time could be this. (I actually prefer Abbey Road) but you can't argue that there isn't a bad song on here (especially the Ringo filler!). A great time for the Beatles, the drugs had taken effect but they hadn't quite taken over. (drugs are bad)

Not to start a "drug war" or anything but their most psychedelic album, Sgt. Pepper, was also one of their most highly-regarded. Let It Be, their final effort, was pretty good too.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #290 of 941

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, most interesting.  I think we all know that there can be no such thing as flawless, even as "subjective" as music ofcourse is. Without getting into any philosophical discussion I would also just like to point out that "objectivity" is always possible with music too, as much as any kind of "objectivity" is used within in anything. So, although I don't like certain music, doesn't mean that I can't appreciate why others do.

Thanks for reading and I believe I am grasping your thoughts; something along the lines of being able to understand how a particular genre's 'flawless' album is as such while you don't particularly like to listen to it?

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #291 of 941
Pixies - Doolittle
The Doors - The Doors
Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr I 5 Capitler
Air - Talkie Walkie
Autechre - Tri Repetae
Beck - Sea Change
Enslaved - Vertebrae
Genesis - Trespass
Thrice - The Illusion of Safety
Opeth - Still Life
Medeski Martin and Wood - End of the World Party (Just in Case)

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #292 of 941

Quote:

Thanks for reading and I believe I am grasping your thoughts; something along the lines of being able to understand how a particular genre's 'flawless' album is as such while you don't particularly like to listen to it?

yeah I just think its possible to be objective with music, 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #294 of 941
Jun 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #295 of 941
Cabaret+Voltaire+-+The+Crackdown.jpg

Cabaret Voltaire - Crackdown (early 80's electronica - was considered Industrial back in the day, but not by today's standards)

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #296 of 941
New Order - Power Corruption and Lies. Made up of former members of Joy Division, this album was the defining moment when this New Wave alternative dance band went from the Joy Division sound to their own. It's a brilliant piece of music, with each track flowing wonderfully from each other. It should be noted that the original UK version did not include Blue Monday and it's instrumental, making this flawless album flow much smoother.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #297 of 941

Quote:

This might be the greatest album ever(never heard before) but there's something fundamentally wrong with the cover. I mean would you look at that: the shirt, the ring, sideburns and that poor litlle kitten. And don't tell me that's his real name
eek.gif

Very rarely I'm judging the music by album art, and I found some real treasures while browsing this thread, but I just can't force myself to listen to this. It creeps me out and makes me laugh at the same time
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #298 of 941

This might be the greatest album ever(never heard before) but there's something fundamentally wrong with the cover. I mean would you look at that: the shirt, the ring, sideburns and that poor litlle kitten. And don't tell me that's his real name
eek.gif

Very rarely I'm judging the music by album art, and I found some real treasures while browsing this thread, but I just can't force myself to listen to this. It creeps me out and makes me laugh at the same time
biggrin.gif

I had the same weird reaction when I saw this posting too. I think giedrys was trying to be serious. Very creepy picture for sure. :p

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #300 of 941
'Perfection' is a value that can be measured and assessed in empirical terms.
'Flawless', by definition, is a purely subjective concept.  E.g. whether or not "Never Mind The Bollocks" is flawless is a moot point. With that in mind, anything goes people!

For your edification, some pretty pictures to illustrate a couple of 'flawless' moments in contemporary music -

Imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back