Flawless albums
Jun 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #271 of 941

Quote:
I actually think flawlessness was a pretty ambitious target to hit for any work of art ... but you are weakening it to the point at which it isn't even an interesting attribute any more. "Sounds brilliant, played well and has lasting value" ... that's just about every album by about a hundred artists I could name straight off from my iTunes library.

Well, lets make it simpler, I know a flawless record when I hear it!
biggrin.gif

Sordel, I've enjoyed this conversation. I'll leave it with yes, I see your point of view, but I disagree.

Perhaps, another thread should be started that is more limiting, "Your favorite flawless record within the classic rock genre"
or  perhaps "technically proficient records that are your favorites that are not Jazz or Classical and you think should be considered the best"

Back to listening to some good music on excellent headphones (best headphones - now there's a topic we can all agree on, LOL!)

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #273 of 941
Another_Green_World.jpg

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #274 of 941
Jun 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #275 of 941
These would be my favorite albums of all time. I consider all of them to be 'flawless', and by that I mean that I really liked every song on it, and that the album as a whole flows nicely.

Blue October's "Foiled" is definitely a play through. All of the songs fit nicely into a coherent yet contrasting album.

Aloe Blacc - "Good Things". Wonderfully uplifting, great soul music.

The Flashbulb - "Soundtrack To A Vacant Life"

Toe - "The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety". Some of the best that post rock has to offer, hands down.

The National - High Violet

Mos Def - The Ecstatic

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - The Brothas

Foals - Antidotes

Florence And The Machine - Lungs

Dan Reeder - This New Century

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #277 of 941
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #278 of 941

51AkRWcX%2BiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joanna Newsom

Have One on Me

Be warned, It's a love it or hate it album.

newsom634shannon.jpg

516hLO5CbYL._SS400_.jpg

LCD Soundsystem's third and last album, This is happening.

lcdss634hines.jpg

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #283 of 941

Quote:
Hey LugBug what happen to your avatar?

Originally Posted by LugBug1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snif... rather not talk about it...  
tongue.gif

Two avatar's walk into a bar...

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #284 of 941
After reading most of this thread, I am intrigued and excited about all of the music listed.  I see much I love; Rush's material as well as Van Halen's 1984, some newer stuff such as Aloe Blacc, Adele, and Florence + the Machine, and a few electronic/ambient artists such as Boards of Canada, Shpongle, The Orb, and The Flashbulb.  I know plenty of other stuff here, but it should be fun discovering other people's interests in music I haven't heard.  And this brings me to my next point...

Obviously much of the music produced in everyone's choices are most likely (but not certainly) a look into the types of music they spend some of their time hearing.  So most everyone's picks are based on everything they've heard, and nobody has heard it all.  This makes me think that there could quite possibly be a flawless album for each particular genre of music (due to shifting interests in genres between head-fi members - everybody that listens to music for that matter).  It is also interesting to note the differences between favorites and flawless albums.  LugBug1 has brought this point into the conversation.  I believe a 'flawless' or perfect thing is free of flaws or imperfections.  Perfection, by dictionary definition, is hard to achieve and I don't want to say it is impossible, but I don't think there should be so many 'perfect' things (in this case albums in the same genre of each person's list) because if everything is perfect then they lose their exclusivity of perfection.  As such, I believe there should be a flawless album for each genre.  IMHO, the flawless album in 'whatever genre' is the epitome or quintessential 'whatever genre' album to have.  Of course this is still subjective because it is based on what the listener has heard and picked as the best one, but every other album in 'whatever genre' should strive to be as good as the best.

I suppose though, following the criteria of being a good play front to back with no fillers, there could be many different albums people enjoy that fit the bill.  Regardless of what I mentioned above, everyone is entitled to their own opinion!  And the more music the merrier!

So my contribution to the ongoing list: in the electronic, more specifically ambient (a little abstract too), genre, I think of Boards of Canada's (BoC) Geogaddi as the flawless album.  Although I love BoC's debut Music Has the Right to Children [MHTRTC] (mentioned earlier in this thread), I believe their sophomore full length release is deeper and more meaningful than their first (not as heavy on the D&B, more ambiance).  The album is classic BoC, filled with liquid melodies and the warm, lush, analog sounds of the 70s and 80s (or so I've been told, I wasn't around then).  It inspires nostalgia (I find myself daydreaming about childhood).  As happy and innocent as some of the album sounds, it is equally balanced with dark and menacing (even scary) themes.  BoC also placed backwards samples in the music; playing it backwards allows one to find these 'Easter eggs' or hidden gems and yields a different way to listen to the songs (almost new songs themselves).  IMO it is just as engaging as a forwards play through.  The promo vinyl release for Alpha and Omega (one of the songs featured on Geogaddi) can be heard at two different speeds for two different sounding but very enjoyable songs: the original at 45 rpm and a mellowed out 33 1/3 rpm version.  The track selection fits together like a puzzle, and is meant to be listened to as a whole.  In an interview with Marcus and Mike, the Scottish duo that make up BoC, there is discussion of the music created for Geogaddi.  Over 90 songs and many samples were gathered, but...  Only 22 (23 if you count the silent Magic Window) were picked for the actual album (see link below for more information).  Striving for perfection, anyone?

"Play Twice Before Listening" by Koen Poolman
http://fredd-e.narfum.org/formerboc/interviews/#oor

An interesting read.  Perfection is discussed in regards to music (specifically BoC and their releases) throughout the whole page.

Thanks to anyone who reads this all.  Hopefully you try out Geogaddi and enjoy it.  Might not be for everyone, but an album that can be played forwards or backwards, slow or fast, and as a whole instead of individual songs is a flawless masterpiece to me.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #285 of 941

Quote:
After reading most of this thread, I am intrigued and excited about all of the music listed.  I see much I love; Rush's material as well as Van Halen's 1984, some newer stuff such as Aloe Blacc, Adele, and Florence + the Machine, and a few electronic/ambient artists such as Boards of Canada, Shpongle, The Orb, and The Flashbulb.  I know plenty of other stuff here, but it should be fun discovering other people's interests in music I haven't heard.  And this brings me to my next point...

Obviously much of the music produced in everyone's choices are most likely (but not certainly) a look into the types of music they spend some of their time hearing.  So most everyone's picks are based on everything they've heard, and nobody has heard it all.  This makes me think that there could quite possibly be a flawless album for each particular genre of music (due to shifting interests in genres between head-fi members - everybody that listens to music for that matter).  It is also interesting to note the differences between favorites and flawless albums.  LugBug1 has brought this point into the conversation.  I believe a 'flawless' or perfect thing is free of flaws or imperfections.  Perfection, by dictionary definition, is hard to achieve and I don't want to say it is impossible, but I don't think there should be so many 'perfect' things (in this case albums in the same genre of each person's list) because if everything is perfect then they lose their exclusivity of perfection.  As such, I believe there should be a flawless album for each genre.  IMHO, the flawless album in 'whatever genre' is the epitome or quintessential 'whatever genre' album to have.  Of course this is still subjective because it is based on what the listener has heard and picked as the best one, but every other album in 'whatever genre' should strive to be as good as the best.

I suppose though, following the criteria of being a good play front to back with no fillers, there could be many different albums people enjoy that fit the bill.  Regardless of what I mentioned above, everyone is entitled to their own opinion!  And the more music the merrier!

So my contribution to the ongoing list: in the electronic, more specifically ambient (a little abstract too), genre, I think of Boards of Canada's (BoC) Geogaddi as the flawless album.  Although I love BoC's debut Music Has the Right to Children [MHTRTC] (mentioned earlier in this thread), I believe their sophomore full length release is deeper and more meaningful than their first (not as heavy on the D&B, more ambiance).  The album is classic BoC, filled with liquid melodies and the warm, lush, analog sounds of the 70s and 80s (or so I've been told, I wasn't around then).  It inspires nostalgia (I find myself daydreaming about childhood).  As happy and innocent as some of the album sounds, it is equally balanced with dark and menacing (even scary) themes.  BoC also placed backwards samples in the music; playing it backwards allows one to find these 'Easter eggs' or hidden gems and yields a different way to listen to the songs (almost new songs themselves).  IMO it is just as engaging as a forwards play through.  The promo vinyl release for Alpha and Omega (one of the songs featured on Geogaddi) can be heard at two different speeds for two different sounding but very enjoyable songs: the original at 45 rpm and a mellowed out 33 1/3 rpm version.  The track selection fits together like a puzzle, and is meant to be listened to as a whole.  In an interview with Marcus and Mike, the Scottish duo that make up BoC, there is discussion of the music created for Geogaddi.  Over 90 songs and many samples were gathered, but...  Only 22 (23 if you count the silent Magic Window) were picked for the actual album (see link below for more information).  Striving for perfection, anyone?

"Play Twice Before Listening" by Koen Poolman
http://fredd-e.narfum.org/formerboc/interviews/#oor

An interesting read.  Perfection is discussed in regards to music (specifically BoC and their releases) throughout the whole page.

Thanks to anyone who reads this all.  Hopefully you try out Geogaddi and enjoy it.  Might not be for everyone, but an album that can be played forwards or backwards, slow or fast, and as a whole instead of individual songs is a flawless masterpiece to me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, most interesting.  I think we all know that there can be no such thing as flawless, even as "subjective" as music ofcourse is. Without getting into any philosophical discussion I would also just like to point out that "objectivity" is always possible with music too, as much as any kind of "objectivity" is used within in anything. So, although I don't like certain music, doesn't mean that I can't appreciate why others do. In that respect, could there be an absolutely flawless album with everyone agreeing....
mmmm... wonder what it is....

just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back