Flawless albums
Jun 18, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #241 of 941
Pardon me for being contrary, but I take exception to the term filler. I prefer to term those songs that are a little bit more challenging and take longer to appreciate, but when you do- wow. My dislike is when listening to an new album i find familiar songs on it. 

As for otherwise flawless albums i'd nominate ;

Court and Spark- Joni Mitchell
Heija- Joni Mitchell
Hissing Of Summer Lawns- Joni Mitchell
Wowee Zowee- Pavement (eclectically flawless) 

I can understand that bad songs do exist on bad albums, but who buys bad albums intentionally?

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #242 of 941

Quote:
Posted in the obnoxious size it deserves!
Like many in my age group, I remember when this came out. What a breath of fresh air!
Today it may seem a bit dated, but boy what an album when it came out.

absolutely! I remember my older brother buying it in 77 and it had such an effect on me even at that age (I was 6!), It changed everything in the pop world, I think it still sounds fresh now, brilliant thick guitar sound and Rotten's snarling vocals are still terrible (in a good way!)   

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #243 of 941

Quote:
absolutely! I remember my older brother buying it in 77 and it had such an effect on me even at that age (I was 6!), It changed everything in the pop world, I think it still sounds fresh now, brilliant thick guitar sound and Rotten's snarling vocals are still terrible (in a good way!)   

I'm glad you enjoy it, but the entire Punk movement is turning in its grave at the suggestion that this album is perfect.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #244 of 941
^that punk's movements must have that singular rarified odour 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

We ate our last few jars of caviar

Well I don't think it's entirely perfect but there is perfection contained within...

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #245 of 941

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoy it, but the entire Punk movement is turning in its grave at the suggestion that this album is perfect.

It was perfect by it's own definitions. It went against all the preconceived ideas that had established the rock canon at the time, and still exist in some parts of the mainstream to this day.
It really is not a bad album, luckily they limited Sid Vicious, the only one without any real talent in the band, to one track. No matter what they said, and what Malcolm said, they did take themselves seriously, they practiced and tried to get it right.
The album, to me anyway, is quite a good album, having a '70's rock sound, great attitude, and originality of all sorts.
Then again, the Ramones had already proven that top grade talent was not needed to make a great album. And the first efforts by the Talking Heads, Clash, Dammed, Blondie, and a host of other bands proved that long guitar solos, mega drum kits, and singers singing fantasy based songs in unnatural keys were not needed to make great records!

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #246 of 941
Obviously flawless music is only in the ears of the beholder, but These are albums, I think, are flawless. I guess flawless isn't really the right word because there is no flawless music, but these are interesting to listen to from beginning to end, and there are no boring/bad songs on the album.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me
The Great Misdirect by Between the Buried and Me
Focus by Cynic
Option Paralysis by Dillinger Escape Plan
Doppelgänger by Fall of Troy
Fall of Troy by Fall of Troy
Phantom on the Horizon by Fall of Troy
Manipulator by Fall of Troy
Nocturne by Human Abstract
Bedlam in Goliath by The Mars Volta
Crack the Skye by Mastodon
Leviathan by Mastodon
Remission by Mastodon
Call of the Mastodon by Mastodon
Blood Mountain by Mastodon
Final Boss by Mc Frontalot
Nerdcore Rising by Mc Frontalot
Hold Your Color by Pendulum
Fortress by Protest the Hero
Parasite by See You Next Tuesday
Animals As Leaders by Animals as Leaders

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #248 of 941

Quote:

There wouldn't be a Punk movement without this album.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #249 of 941

Quote:
There wouldn't be a Punk movement without this album.

Now see, as a proud Noo Yawkah, I gotta note that these punk gems predated the Pistols, as did the Stooges and the New York Dolls.

The Ramones - Ramones

The Ramones - Leave Home

…and closer to the Pistols' home there was this certified bit of awesomeness…

The Clash

…all are infinitely listenable…

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #251 of 941
Some more perfect albums, albums that came about after the Punk movement, but would not have existed without it:

Gang of Four - Entertainment

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys

Wire - 154

Pere Ubu - Modern Dance (US band that started as contemporaries of Devo, actually before the UK Punk scene)

Magazine's Secondhand Daylight

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleisdoscope (Siouxsie was a Sex Pistols groupie who decided to start her own band)

Psychedelic Furs - 1st album

Jam - All Mod Cons

Public Image Ltd. (PIL) - Metal Box

That's it for now.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #252 of 941

Quote:

Now see, as a proud Noo Yawkah, I gotta note that these punk gems predated the Pistols, as did the Stooges and the New York Dolls.

…and closer the Pistols' home there was this certified bit of awesomeness…

The Clash

…all are infinitely listenable…

Clash album came out after the Pistols album.

For U.S.  punk I would add these classics, but not sure if they came out before Pistols or about the same time:

Richard Hell & The Voidoids (1977)

Dead Boys

Young Loud and Snotty (1977)

Then these bands, not considered Punk by today's standards but certainly part of that scene back in the day (1976-77):
Television,
Talking Heads,
Blondie,
New York Dolls

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #254 of 941

Quote:
^ ^ agree with you on 0/9 
biggrin.gif

honestly never heard of those bands, except Joy division.

Start with Gang of Four, the Jam,  and the Cure's album then continue from there. Many of the albums I mentioned above are just not my personal picks but are thought of as classics by many who have had a chance to hear them, including Pitchfork Media writers and other critics.

See also Pitchfork's list:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/unj/pitchforkmedias_top_100_albums_of_the_70s
and
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/unj/pitchforkmedias_top_100_albums_of_the_80s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back