Flawless albums
May 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #196 of 941

Quote:

…ahhh, the varieties of taste…if I had to select a great Floyd album, I'd choose Wish You Were Here, but truth is, I don't even think that's flawless. It's damn close, though…by comparison, Dark Side Of The Moon feels to me like baby-steps passing itself off as "epic"…

I think I see where you're coming from.  Imo DSOTM can sound dated, due to a combination of regular song structures and the use of "period instruments".  However, I posit that it takes maximum talent and focus to create an album of four minute pop songs as a flawless example of sublime art than it is an album of mostly structureless free-form meandering works, as is WYWH.  Don't get me wrong, I usually prefer the more experimental side if Floyd, but to combine the experimental 'ethic' with more conforming structures and sequencing successfully requires more focus and cohesion of all elements (especially band members) to truly succeed.   Your earlier post about 'going for it' inspired mine on the topic 
beerchug.gif

Perhaps DSOTM is Pink Floyd's moment of fruition, and after that the indulgence and decline.

May 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #197 of 941

Quote:
All music is simply the rehashing of old ideas. So no, I strongly disagree. Some mix elements of different genres together better than others, and that is original, but no one simply creates an album with no base (maybe a couple do, but they aren't any good. Just unique for the sake of being unique, and that is worse than just conformity).

Correction, "most music is a rehashing of old ideas."  Great original music takes old ideas and blends them with distinctive personal and creative elements within a contemporary context, thereby (temporarily) transcending influence and genre.  Fleet Foxes is a good example of a band that while talented, rely too heavily on their influences, and original ideas don't really jump out at the listener, i.e. good, not great.

I see the love of such bands as youth without a deep perspective of what has gone before, or a strong nostalgic desire to vicariously relive one's past (or someone else's).

May 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #198 of 941

Quote:
Correction, "most music is a rehashing of old ideas."  Great original music takes old ideas and blends them with distinctive personal and creative elements within a contemporary context, thereby (temporarily) transcending influence and genre.  Fleet Foxes is a good example of a band that while talented, rely too heavily on their influences, and original ideas don't really jump out at the listener, i.e. good, not great.

I see the love of such bands as youth without a deep perspective of what has gone before, or a strong nostalgic desire to vicariously relive one's past (or someone else's).

We're definitely on the same wavelength here. And there's an interesting irony about today's young musicians gaining a deeper perspective: We're currently in a time when it's easier than ever before to gain access to what went on well before music came on your personal radar. Yeah, plowing through it all can be overwhelming, but it's definitely available.

As for Wish You Were Here (just to address the comments up above), I don't hear it as "meandering" or formless, but then I'm a huge jazz fan, so improv doesn't lose me; I find it exciting. As free-form pianist Cecil Taylor once said, "there is no music without order—if that music comes from a man’s innards. But that order is not necessarily related to any single criterion of what order should be as imposed from the outside…rather it is a question of recognizing different ideas and expressions of order.”

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!

May 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #199 of 941
Some really interesting points been raised, we've all added out lists and now discussing what we consider to be "flawless" seems a good focal point.

That's a great quote from Cecil, I'm a huge fan of the avant garde period of the last century mostly with classical but I've only heard a few jazz examples like the one above. I find that particular recording engrossing, you know that a lot of it is spontaneous but as he says, it has to have order if it has come from within. Just like a Jackson Pollock painting, its all ordered no matter how much we try to create art without rules or self conscience,  it is impossible.

Some of the John Cage experiments were to test this theory, he would give only vague directions to the orchestra and see what developed out of this, controlled but then out of his control. You could say that his 4.33 is flawless, because it will be different everytime it is performed (or not perfomed!). It's not silence. Theres no such thing. I think that was his point, music is everywhere!    

May 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #201 of 941
Some really interesting points been raised, we've all added out lists and now discussing what we consider to be "flawless" seems a good focal point.

That's a great quote from Cecil, I'm a huge fan of the avant garde period of the last century mostly with classical but I've only heard a few jazz examples like the one above. I find that particular recording engrossing, you know that a lot of it is spontaneous but as he says, it has to have order if it has come from within. Just like a Jackson Pollock painting, its all ordered no matter how much we try to create art without rules or self conscience,  it is impossible.

Some of the John Cage experiments were to test this theory, he would give only vague directions to the orchestra and see what developed out of this, controlled but then out of his control. You could say that his 4.33 is flawless, because it will be different everytime it is performed (or not perfomed!). It's not silence. Theres no such thing. I think that was his point, music is everywhere!    

So which is your favorite recording of 4:33? Kenney? Zappa? It just is'nt the same on digital- I much prefer unwashed vinyl - like the performances, it is never quite the same each time you play it...a pop here, two ticks and a click followed by a hiss and then two more pops.

May 29, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #202 of 941

Quote:
Quote:

So which is your favorite recording of 4:33? Kenney? Zappa? It just is'nt the same on digital- I much prefer unwashed vinyl - like the performances, it is never quite the same each time you play it...a pop here, two ticks and a click followed by a hiss and then two more pops.

My favorite, is a recording I did myself! approximately half way through I rather fiendishly broke wind saxophone styley, it was subtle but effective. Added a bit of reverb on too.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #203 of 941

Quote:

As for Wish You Were Here (just to address the comments up above), I don't hear it as "meandering" or formless, but then I'm a huge jazz fan, so improv doesn't lose me; I find it exciting. As free-form pianist Cecil Taylor once said, "there is no music without order—if that music comes from a man’s innards. But that order is not necessarily related to any single criterion of what order should be as imposed from the outside…rather it is a question of recognizing different ideas and expressions of order.”

Well, it's only relatively speaking, meandering that is, compared to DSOTM, which is obviously structured.  I see your point though, and that's a good quote.  One that I will mull over in time.  I love improvised music too and listen to it most days, but for me WYWH does lose focus at times.  I still think it's a great album, but maybe I listened to it too much in my youth and have perceived certain flaws.  An old saying occurs to me "familiarity breeds contempt", which for many of us may apply to DSOTM and WYWH, particularly those songs regularly played on radio.  Just a thought...

May 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #204 of 941
When I think flawless, I think:

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Pearl Jam - Ten

Prince - Purple Rain

I can listen to most albums all the way through but these are the main 3 that MUST be listened to in their entireties. 

May 30, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #205 of 941

Quote:
Prince - 1999, Purple Rain
Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Nas - Illmatic
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
Elton John - Honky Chateau, Madman Across the Water, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Steely Dan - Aja, Gaucho
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Rush - Moving Pictures
Holst - The Planets
Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part 2
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life, Innervisions, Talking Book
Michael Jackson - Off The Wall, Thriller
Billy Joel - Turnstiles, 52nd Street, Glass Houses
Daft Punk - Discovery
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Going On
GZA - Liquid Swords
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

I'm sure there's a lot more.  My collection is vast, but those are just a few albums I can enjoy all the way through and don't consider them cluttered with filler. Will add to the list when I think of more. 

*by no means am I suggesting these albums are flawless, but I can enjoy them from start to finish without hitting the "skip next" button. 

More...

Sade - Stronger Than Pride
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Mystery Magical Tour, The White Album
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
Commodores - Commodores
LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out
The Eagles - Hotel California, The Long Run
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland, Axis Bold as Love
Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
Nirvana - Nevermind
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane, It's a Big Daddy Thing
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Earth Wind & Fire - All 'N All, That's the Way of the World, Gratitude, Raise!
Carole King - Tapestry, Fantasy, Simple Things
Mary J. Blige - Mary
Real Live - The Turnaround: The Long Awaited Drama

Again, while some might find fault with anything on my lists, I can play them from start to finish and always go back for more.  I'll be adding more as I go through my personal catalog. 

May 30, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #206 of 941
Jonsi - Go

Just a fantastic experience, this album. Not to mention the quality of the recording, which I found to be excellent. Also:

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

which is another incredible musical journey.

May 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #207 of 941

Thanks to you Lozanoaa11 I have discovered many new (to me) albums:

Loving
Tools - Laturalus
Russian Circles - Station
Explosion In the Sky - The Earth is not a cold Dead place

THis is the best thread so far.

Quote:
I have never listened to a 10/10 album before. But many 9.9/10's. Some off the top of my head:
Pink Floyd - DSOM, Animals
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb
Explosions In the sky - The Earth Is not a cold dead place
Do Make Say Think - Other Truths
Russian Circles - Enter, Station
Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind
Tool - Laturalus 

May 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #208 of 941

Quote:
 An old saying occurs to me "familiarity breeds contempt", which for many of us may apply to DSOTM and WYWH, particularly those songs regularly played on radio.  Just a thought...

…here's another, inspired by contempt for familiarity (my mind's free-associative that way)…even if y'all don't rush out and get it (which you should), check the track listing…

The Chills - Submarine Bells

Jun 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #210 of 941
Elton John, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboys. It was the last album from his heyday years, and the least commercially successful. But it was the highest rated by musical critics; I prefer it to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road or any of the rest.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned both Trinity Session albums by the Cowboy Junkies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back