Flat, neutral sounding IEMs similar to the HD600 (other than the ER4s) ?
Mar 17, 2016 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

skyline385

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently got my ER4s and i love their sound signature (its pretty much just like my HD600s) but i use them while travelling daily and the microhponics are a pain along with the extra long cable to make matters worse. Also, i have never had problems with IEMs before in my ear but the ER4s cause my ears to hurt because of the deep insertion. Hence, i would really appreciate some flat neutral sounding alternatives to the ER4s. Currently, i am leaning on the SE535s but they will be a tad warmer plus there is also the treble roll-off factor.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 15
The SE535's definitely have a rolled-off treble response. Maybe you should look out for the discontinued Audeo Phonak PFE002, must be paired with Phonak's grey filter and Comply T130 tips to get the best neutral sound which is very close to the ER4S with a little more bass. It's a very good sounding IEM for the price and very comfortable wear too if you can find one.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 15
Instead of getting a whole new set of headphones, how about getting an upgraded cable with a 90° connector that you can wear over your ears, Shure style? That will completely remove the microphonics, as well as likely improving the sound.

As for comfort, custom ear moulds would sort you out there, and will improve bass response and isolation.

I've had a pair of ER-4Ps, and when you get the isolation and microphonics sorted I don't think there is much out there even at twice the price that gives the same beautiful detail and clarity.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 15
I just received 2 very well made ER4 cables by ClieOS. The cables are made with 90° connectors which is like what Pablosammy mentioned and ClieOS somehow manage to squeeze the resistors into the connectors which is very neat. The cables are not microphonic compared to the original cables. He made 2 cables for me which is the 4B and 4S cable that turns my ER4 into either ER4B or ER4S. I somehow love the sound of the ER4B version that pairs extremely well with my Chord Mojo. Below is the photo of the cables that I received.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 15
Put a tiny bit of baby oil or lotion on the tri-flanges and it will help with breaking the eartips in and make them more comfortable. Custom eartips of course will also help. I am using Snugs silicone half-shell myself right now.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for all your input, guys.

Anyways, the main reason i was considering a new set was because my ER4s are still within my return period of 30 days on Amazon. The custom cable might work out but custom fits probably won't as i won't be able to afford both added with the audiologist trip. Also, i am not sure but wouldn't the custom tips and cable void the warranty? Because of my daily commuting usage, i would really like to keep it as i have busted my earbuds multiple times in the past during the warranty period.

Here's something to think about though. I have checked my hearing frequency online several times in the past just for the heck of it and it cuts off completely at 14-15 KHz for me. Will the treble roll-off of the 535 really be an issue for me? I also miss the soundstage and imaging created by some triple or quad BAs which i have heard personally in the past on multiple different IEMs. The ER4s feel way too intimate for me and i have heard a lot of praise about the 535's soundstage which is another major factor for me to consider them which i forgot to mention in the OP. Even if we ignore the treble roll-off because of my frequency range, i would really like to know from you guys about how much warmer the sound of the 535s will feel compared to the HD600. I owned the W40 before this and found them too warm for my liking. And yea, i am still open to other IEMs which you can think of which will offer better comfort and soundstage while still being reasonably neutral.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 15
I have the HD600 and been looking for an IEM which sounds like them for same uses as you - travel and gym.

Today the IE80's arrived from Amazon and I'm about to open the box and will report back.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 15
I have the HD600 and been looking for an IEM which sounds like them for same uses as you - travel and gym.

Today the IE80's arrived from Amazon and I'm about to open the box and will report back.

Sadly i already demo'ed the IE80 few month back and found them to not have what i was looking for. But, don't let me discourage you. I hope you like them.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 15
Instead of getting a whole new set of headphones, how about getting an upgraded cable with a 90° connector that you can wear over your ears, Shure style? That will completely remove the microphonics, as well as likely improving the sound.

As for comfort, custom ear moulds would sort you out there, and will improve bass response and isolation.

I've had a pair of ER-4Ps, and when you get the isolation and microphonics sorted I don't think there is much out there even at twice the price that gives the same beautiful detail and clarity.

Totally agree. There's so many way for avoiding microphonic on forum.

Also ClieOS' cable is new trend in ER4 users, you can give it a chance if he decide to open slot for new batch.

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 15
  Thanks for all your input, guys.

Anyways, the main reason i was considering a new set was because my ER4s are still within my return period of 30 days on Amazon. The custom cable might work out but custom fits probably won't as i won't be able to afford both added with the audiologist trip. Also, i am not sure but wouldn't the custom tips and cable void the warranty? Because of my daily commuting usage, i would really like to keep it as i have busted my earbuds multiple times in the past during the warranty period.

Here's something to think about though. I have checked my hearing frequency online several times in the past just for the heck of it and it cuts off completely at 14-15 KHz for me. Will the treble roll-off of the 535 really be an issue for me? I also miss the soundstage and imaging created by some triple or quad BAs which i have heard personally in the past on multiple different IEMs. The ER4s feel way too intimate for me and i have heard a lot of praise about the 535's soundstage which is another major factor for me to consider them which i forgot to mention in the OP. Even if we ignore the treble roll-off because of my frequency range, i would really like to know from you guys about how much warmer the sound of the 535s will feel compared to the HD600. I owned the W40 before this and found them too warm for my liking. And yea, i am still open to other IEMs which you can think of which will offer better comfort and soundstage while still being reasonably neutral.

You will definitely notice the treble roll off.  Air and sparkle are just completely missing.  Worse than that, they still manage to be sibilant to my ears, even with the roll off.  I love the Senn 600, and hated the 535.  I don't think they have even remotely similar sound signatures.  I think the FLC8S is a bit similar to the 600, has a great soundstage and very detailed.  RHA T20 is also, its a bit warmer but still has excellent treble extension, has more deep bass than the 600, soundstage is only average though.  Somebody else mentioned Phonak Audeo.  That is another good choice if you can find them.

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 15
budget ? custom or uni ?

and do some reading , if people here say about buying 535 or ie80 , it makes it mandatory that you read a lot so that you avoid such misjudgements

cheers

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 15
i would say buy this in a heartbeat

brilliant iems , the price is maybe a tad pinched but these rock (and i also like neutral/reference sound)

CK-10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZHU0H6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&colid=BKCAT754U053&coliid=I3LIOXJFZEOACS&me=

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. In the end i just decided to stick with my ER4s as even though still uncomfortable i do love their sound. I will try getting some custom cables as the first step i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back