flat(ish) headphones with good sub/bass??? suggestions?
Mar 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

miercoles

New Head-Fier
I'd like something I could use for a bit of producing/mixing, but also enjoy as everyday headphones.  I'm not looking to replace my studio monitors, but i would love something that could at least be used as another reference or just to work with at home.

I picked up some momentums, but i think i may return (or sell) them.  may have been a great option, hurt my ears (physically).  they do sound pretty grea, but i wouldn't mind a little deeper bass extension though.

If my old grado sr80's had decent bass/sub bass, i'd be happy with those.  

anyway, I want to keep it under $400, closed back, and definitely comfortable!!!  I produce EDM kind of music so looking for something in that world.  

thanks for any suggestions!!!

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 19
V-Moda M100's have great bass extension. More so than the Momentum's. They look good, and are built like a tank. Not sure if they are made for producing, but they should do the job.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Look into HP50. I haven't heard it yet, but the chart indicates that you might like it.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 19
  V-Moda M100's have great bass extension. More so than the Momentum's. They look good, and are built like a tank. Not sure if they are made for producing, but they should do the job.

M100. End of story.

I normally respect your opinion SomeGuyDude, but he's looking for flattish headphones XD  Something closer (although not) studio quality flat... 

____

I would say something along the lines of an AKG K545?  The NAD is a little light on the treble quantity IMO. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 19
Hey, wanna hear a funny story of how stupid SGD is today?

I was still kinda loopy when I got back from the gym and I honestly interpreted "flat" to mean, like, "flat to the side of the head". Like not big and bulky. Wow. 

FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ME NOW. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 19
thanks so much for all of these suggestions.  really great!  

I've actually considered caving and getting the v-moda's, but i know they are very far from flat.  

I would love to try the mad dogs and the akg 545s - can anybody comment on the comfort of these two in particular?  
the 770's too?

I would love to go somewhere and try these if possible, but its tough to find anywhere.  anybody know of a place in NYC to try such headphones out?  

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 19
B&H on 9th between 33d and 34th has DT770 and some AKGs. If they don't have it out, maybe ask them if you can demo. Bring your own source. Also, it's very noisy.

You can sometimes meet random Head-Fiers there. How do you know who's a Head-Fier? We bring our own headphones to compare, so there's one round the neck and the other on the head. 
L3000.gif

You should go to the New York meet that's coming up soon. Maybe you can try before you buy.

Best luck!

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 19
Guitar Center still carries the 770, at least the couple that are close to me. I second the suggestion to go to the NYC Head-Fi meet coming up. That and the upcoming New York Audio Show in Brooklyn are your chance to hear the Mad Dogs as they are only sold online. I got to hear the Mad Dogs at last year's NY Audio Show and their sound is quite balanced, though they could use a little more sub-bass.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 19
thanks again guys, i didn't even think to try B&H - but that store is kind of amazing... will have to get over there again.  

I'll try the union square guitar center too.  

I didn't know about the NY Audio show or the NYC Head Fi meet coming up.  I've been recording/producing since I was in high school and i'm (let's say) a LOT older now, but as far as mid/high end headphones go, I'm brand new to this world - so thanks!  

btw, this place near washington square has a nice selection - http://www.acgears.com/sound/portable-headphones - very user friendly, everything is out and ready to be plugged in to your listening devices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back