Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Jun 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #737 of 828
American labor just isn't what it used to be cost wise. Back in the 90's of course, but these days they want $200 for a decent flashlight that gets trumped by the chinese stuff. You're buying the brand and the no-nonsense warranty. A quick phone call and your address and you get sorted out real quick.

The entry $70 6PX isn't bad if 200 lumens is the name of the game, but I mean basically anything by Eagletac ( also US made) , Fenix, or 4Sevens will whip it for like $10 less plus you get type 3 hard ano.. which is like a $20 premium to have on a light I feel.

I believe all of the aforementioned lights are now made in China and some are "assembled" in the USA.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #738 of 828
I'm very pleased with Surefire Fury's 500 lumens output.  It's bright enough for night walking but it's a little heavy to carry compared to single cr123 light.  

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #739 of 828
Quote:
I'm looking for like a 2.8 amp XM-L drop-in for my 6P with nothing but an XP-G 1a drop-in and McClicky. Nothing fancy.

LOL.  Hobby speak.

I've been researching online before buying my first "decent" flashlight.  I think I know what "XM-L" refers to, but that's about it.

I have been looking at the popular models from Foursevens, Sunwayman, and Fenix.  Are all of these companies about the same, or does one stand out as being superior (or inferior)?  There are so many brands and options, and I'm trying to narrow my search down.

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #740 of 828
I have cutlerylover on youtube to thank for getting me into flashlights and knives...as if being into headphones doesn't burn my wallet enough.  Granted I've had to stick with budget-fi for the most part, so I got a maratac AA extreme from countycomm.  Most of the appeal was that it uses a single AA battery so I don't have to worry about having some of the more uncommon batteries around for it.  It's a really nice light too, though I wish it had a medium setting so that it could last longer for outdoor use and what not.  If I remember right, the high is 100 lumens and lasts 1 hour, while the low setting is 1.5 lumens and lasts around 200 hours.  It's real nice for a pretty cheap flashlight, was sort of surprised to see that they oiled the threads which are so smooth.  It's just good that this can hold me off for now since I don't have a lot of spending cash these days. :/

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #741 of 828
Quote:
I'm very pleased with Surefire Fury's 500 lumens output.  It's bright enough for night walking but it's a little heavy to carry compared to single cr123 light.  

Surefire was behind in technology for about 2 years prior to this year's release, the Fury is an amazing light for the price. Feel free to back over it with your truck every now and then too, it's just about covered in the warranty.
Quote:
LOL.  Hobby speak.

I've been researching online before buying my first "decent" flashlight.  I think I know what "XM-L" refers to, but that's about it.

I have been looking at the popular models from Foursevens, Sunwayman, and Fenix.  Are all of these companies about the same, or does one stand out as being superior (or inferior)?  There are so many brands and options, and I'm trying to narrow my search down.

Be sure to check out Olight if you're into bigger lights, I think that their M20 Warrior series of lights really outclass the others. Fenix and 4-7's come off as EDC lights with practicality in mind. I sort of outgrew those because I just don't really NEED a light and If I'm going to carry a light, it's going to be a toy that has some actual functional use from time to time.

A bit silly.. but we're all on head-fi.. so cmon..

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #742 of 828
Quote:

Sunwayman makes great EDC lights, especially their V series lights. JetBeam also makes very nice lights, with their RRT line being their flagship models which are a bit pricey. Their P (performance) and B (budget) line are also great performers with good value.

Fenix, Foursevens and Olight, in my opinion makes very nice duty lights. I use me LD20 as the "beater" flashlight, and it works flawless after 2 years, I also find that these 3 brands tends to be cheaper than many other brands.

In general many known chinese brands produce quality lights that are much cheaper the american made competitor, Surefire. They give you the best value.

Solarforce is also quite popular among people who likes to "Lego" their lights on a budget.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #744 of 828
Lego-ing with Solarforce stuff is great fun. Some of their components are superior to the Surefires they are cloning. Anybody who tells you otherwise is probably being patriotic, it's a straight fact amongst flashaholics.

I just like the branded stuff and I like that I can still count on Surefire's lifetime warranty if the few stock components on my light (tailcap, bezel, battery tube) somehow break or fail.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #745 of 828
I'm mostly into headlamps, but I picked this puppy up on impulse for like $7 because it was on sale. I normally don't buy flashlights made by battery companies for obvious reasons, but I bought this a few years ago because it was LED and I haven't changed them out since. Totally worth the $16 shipped they get on Amazon for it.

1. Runs on AA, AAA or C size batteries; packed with 2AA Energizer Max Alkaline batteries
  2. 4 bright Nichia LEDs deliver 17 lumens with 65 hour run time, focusing lenses project a 34m beam
  3. Adjustable shock cord lanyard with integrated alert whistle
  4. Includes safety preparedness checklist
  5. Water Resistant

I didn't even know about a couple of these features until I looked it up to share with you guys, I just liked the fact that it lasts forever on C batteries, it's quite bright, and it's waterproof.
And it comes with a doomsday checklist
cool.gif

For headlamps, since I use them mainly in the winter I have come to favor the kind that clip on a baseball cap style visor. They run on button-style lithium batteries to conserve weight.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #747 of 828
^ The V11R is simply awesome.  A lot smaller than I thought it would be.  Great fit and finish, and it looks like a mini light sabre, which scores high with the kids.  I am on a spending spree and just received a Foursevens Preon P1 flashlight, which I'll be using as an EDC light.  Another winner for sure.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #748 of 828
Oh my. Just noticed the eagletac D25c Clicky. 397 Lumens, 1 hour turbo time. Epic. Price of 60$ further epic. Love the size triple epic. 

Currently going off of my Fenix LD20, good light, solid, but a bit big, and not as bright as id like. Batteries last forever though. 

Any other lights out there at that size, with that output, that price, that runtime, and also click? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back