Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Dec 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #677 of 828

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, the Fenix LD20 does look nice. It's a bit expensive here (UK) but I think I can find a worldwide seller at a decent price.

What distance would you say the beam is good to?

I was originally looking for 200+ lumens, maybe more like 235-250 but I probably don't really need that. I've decided the regulation is important. Although the P7 may be nominally brighter (higher output with focused spot, though I acknowledge you think perhaps not) that isn't likely to last long. So, for the majority of its runtime, it won't be as bright as the LD20.

I'm going to see what I can find with non-AA/AAA but I think the LD20 could be the one, thanks.

The LD20 isn't a thrower, I'd say it light up things well until 100m. 

The P7, on paper, has 175 lumens of output. While the LD20 has something like 180 ANSI lumens.

You might also look at 1xCR123 lights. They are very compact, and are fairly bright. If you stretch your budget you might can get a JetBeam RRT-0 XML, which works with CR123/RCR123 or AA batteries (with extension tube). It will give you 550 lumens with and RCR123 battery! (make sure you use IMR cells because they handle high currents better)

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #678 of 828
Thanks again, I think the LD20 will be fine. BTW, the current P7 is 200 lumens but I notice that the LD20 is 180 OTF and 205 at the emitter, so they're probably pretty much the same power.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #679 of 828
Anybody build any firestarters? Favorite light that I never really use since I've got it running on a bunch of AAs is my 4D Mag converted with some Osram bulb. Run time is probably no more than 15 minutes at max, but I've got a regulated switch with different settings so its still got some utility lol

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #680 of 828

Quote:
Anybody build any firestarters? Favorite light that I never really use since I've got it running on a bunch of AAs is my 4D Mag converted with some Osram bulb. Run time is probably no more than 15 minutes at max, but I've got a regulated switch with different settings so its still got some utility lol

Sometimes for fun I like to pop the P60 lamp back into my Surefire 6P.

Incandescents can be kinda fun sometimes... but for the most part the get way too hot for me for long periods of time... although aside from heat if you use rechargables all is good in the hood and you do get a really cool beam

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #682 of 828
Just wanted to post back up here about my new Fenix LD20. So far i gotta say im impressed. For such a small light it throws great and bright. Love the fit and feel of it, no rattling whatsoever, paint durability seems good. Love it. 

Im also about to buy some eneloop batteries for it, however i only have one charger, and id rather not buy another one if possible. Im wondering will this charger effectively charge the eneloop batteries? Or is it not going to do so effectively? Pic of said charger below.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #683 of 828
Just thought I would add to this thread my collection so far. Its not much. The Thrunite 1C is my EDC which is the second from the right. The only ones I like are the Thrunite 1C and the Jetbeam M2S which is on the far left. After owning two Surefires I can say definitively I will not own another one. The Olight has to have something wrong with it because I have to really bow up on tightening it to get it to work. I need to send it back for repairs one day. The lumapower second from left was an OK light but I hated the reflector because it put a bad black spot right in the middle of the hot spot. The button mode selector was very nice though.

I didn't take pics but I do use rechargeable RCR123 and 18650 batteries. I can say for surefire non-rechargeable CR123 batteries they do last for I know over 1 year and have a good charge left.
I use the Ultrafire rechargers.

My next purchase will likely be the Eagletac G25C2.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #684 of 828
Haha well if you're ever down to give a Head-Fi hookup on that G2 and send it to a good home, I'm always here... :)

I've got a real nice drop-in and tailcap upgrade just waiting for a new host

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #685 of 828

Quote:
Haha well if you're ever down to give a Head-Fi hookup on that G2 and send it to a good home, I'm always here... :)

I've got a real nice drop-in and tailcap upgrade just waiting for a new host

Hello Chris, tell me a little more about these upgrades. I done a google search and dug up some Solarforce stuff or is it something different? If I could make it a much more powerful light for low enough cost it would be worth using.

EDIT: Just remembered I have the Surefire G3 also. I think that is all of them.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #686 of 828
Oh yeah for sure!

Tailcap upgrade:
(SUPER AWESOME) basically this puts in a solid brass switch with a tactical forward clicky of the existing switch, but itll actually click in. If you have a multi-mode drop-in it's really great for just quickly going through all your modes and then clicking it in to memorize it after 2 seconds in that mode. It uses the existing tailcap so it doesn't look out of place.
http://www.oveready.com/surefire-upgrades/torchlab-mcclicky-self-installation-clicky-kit-for-surefirea-/prod_23.html

Drop-in:
Here is the current one I am using although they have a nice selection depending on your needs. 
http://www.batteryjunction.com/thrunite-3mode-p60-4-9v1.html

And of course now if you run the higher voltage drop-ins you can use rechargable CR123's now which is nice. Obviously no matter how much you build up a G2.. they can't be bored out for 18650's. It's just a nice way to keep a rugged light like a Surefire up to date in this crazy hobby.

The Solarforce stuff actually is compatible too, you can swap the tailcaps and stuff and it's a direct fit. I just like all my stuff to say Surefire but the Solarforce stuff is actually pretty decent if you don't mind it.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #687 of 828
You sir are as handy as a pocket on a T-shirt 
beerchug.gif

That looks to be something I would do since the prices aren't that bad. To go from around 80 lumen to 300 lumen will be a nice step up for that light. 

Quote:
Oh yeah for sure!

Tailcap upgrade:
(SUPER AWESOME) basically this puts in a solid brass switch with a tactical forward clicky of the existing switch, but itll actually click in. If you have a multi-mode drop-in it's really great for just quickly going through all your modes and then clicking it in to memorize it after 2 seconds in that mode. It uses the existing tailcap so it doesn't look out of place.
http://www.oveready.com/surefire-upgrades/torchlab-mcclicky-self-installation-clicky-kit-for-surefirea-/prod_23.html

Drop-in:
Here is the current one I am using although they have a nice selection depending on your needs. 
http://www.batteryjunction.com/thrunite-3mode-p60-4-9v1.html

And of course now if you run the higher voltage drop-ins you can use rechargable CR123's now which is nice. Obviously no matter how much you build up a G2.. they can't be bored out for 18650's. It's just a nice way to keep a rugged light like a Surefire up to date in this crazy hobby.

The Solarforce stuff actually is compatible too, you can swap the tailcaps and stuff and it's a direct fit. I just like all my stuff to say Surefire but the Solarforce stuff is actually pretty decent if you don't mind it.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #688 of 828

Quote:
You sir are as handy as a pocket on a T-shirt 
beerchug.gif

That looks to be something I would do since the prices aren't that bad. To go from around 80 lumen to 300 lumen will be a nice step up for that light. 

Haha I've never used a stock Surefire, my love for the brand literally just comes from how tough the battery tube, bezel, and tailcap are on them... I can't go back to 4Sevens anymore.

This is the Thrunite XP-G R5 drop-in in 300 lumen.. almost completely whites out that shelf I'm pointing the light at haha... the XM-L 460 lumen one is great too but the battery consumption at 1.5a is just too much so I went back to XP-G @ 1.0a.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #689 of 828
After you posted the above parts I found a video on Youtube on how to knock out the momentary button so its now out and waiting for the new guy. I will order the clicky and P60 soon. I have a bunch of lights I don't use for various reasons to doing this upgrade will give me back a good useful light again. Shame a 18650 won't fit.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #690 of 828

Quote:
After you posted the above parts I found a video on Youtube on how to knock out the momentary button so its now out and waiting for the new guy. I will order the clicky and P60 soon. I have a bunch of lights I don't use for various reasons to doing this upgrade will give me back a good useful light again. Shame a 18650 won't fit.

You can just buy a Solarforce battery tube or a 6P which has been bored out... I've been putting it off for too long and I've just been telling myself to recharge the 16340's every 3-4 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back