Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Aug 31, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #601 of 828
Aug 31, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #602 of 828
Battery Junction. The Titanium Innovations brand are literally the cheapest batteries, yet one of the highest performing ones. I've only had 1 bad one out of 20 I bought. They're cheaper than running AA's to me considering they last forever in storage and they can survive accidental laundry machine adventures without leaking or popping.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #603 of 828
Thanks for some opinions guys. After doing some research at work and still pissed off about still no electricity at my house I can't wait to get my hands on a new flashlight. I was thinking maybe a 4seven quark mini for EDC and something a little larger down the road. I also been eyeing the fenix TK12 R5, which I'm kind of leaning towards. I didn't realize how many flashlights there are to choose from it's makes head fi decisions look easy and clear cut. After researching batteries I want to go with CR123's with whatever flashlight I choose since there so cheap, and I don't want to use rechargeables. Do you guys think the TK 12 R5 would be a good choice for my first flashlight, or is there something better for around $75 bucks?

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #604 of 828

Quote:

Quote:
Battery Junction. The Titanium Innovations brand are literally the cheapest batteries, yet one of the highest performing ones. I've only had 1 bad one out of 20 I bought. They're cheaper than running AA's to me considering they last forever in storage and they can survive accidental laundry machine adventures without leaking or popping.

Thanks guys, will definitely check them out.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #605 of 828

Quote:
Thanks for some opinions guys. After doing some research at work and still pissed off about still no electricity at my house I can't wait to get my hands on a new flashlight. I was thinking maybe a 4seven quark mini for EDC and something a little larger down the road. I also been eyeing the fenix TK12 R5, which I'm kind of leaning towards. I didn't realize how many flashlights there are to choose from it's makes head fi decisions look easy and clear cut. After researching batteries I want to go with CR123's with whatever flashlight I choose since there so cheap, and I don't want to use rechargeables. Do you guys think the TK 12 R5 would be a good choice for my first flashlight, or is there something better for around $75 bucks?

380 emitter lumens vs the 280 from the TK12, at roughly the same runtime means the Eagletac is more efficient.

http://www.amazon.com/EagleTac-P20C2-Lumens-Cree-Flashlight/dp/B0032YZ2F4

Eagletac is US made, again not a big deal, but always a + for me. Takes rechargables of the 3.0 and 3.7v variety as well as taking the primary lithiums without any rattle, they're warrantied for life and super tuff!

I'm not knocking the Fenix at all, but the body and bezel look to be more precision machined on that Eagletac as well. It's when you get into the other TK models that it goes nuts! TK45 anyone?

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #606 of 828
Having a nice keychain LED (or two) as a supplement to anything really helps me out.  I'm not saying it will replace a fully functional large light with multiple LEDs but its something to consider.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #608 of 828
ThruNite might make some of the best foreign produced flashlights at this point. If thats your first light purchase you got a very good one for sure...

Used to have one, now the only Thrunites I buy are the drop-in modules for my Surefires

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #609 of 828
i am pretty interested in dereelight. it would seem that the chinese have outdone surefire. i am wondering if all is as it seems though. specifically are their lumen claims real? i mean 700 lumens for the size of that thing seems like either they are exaggerating or the light will not last due to heat. on the other hand it seems they certainly have outdone their counterpart fenix. any feedback on them would be appreciated. thanks

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #610 of 828
i got a new Fenix PD20 last week and really like it. Incredibly small and fits into my back pocket with the clip perfectly and I hardly know its there. Very bright and specs show good runtimes. I'm a big fan of Fenix

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #611 of 828
a p1d q5 has been on my keychain for like 5 years. it has been abused bad and still works fine. i'd say overall surefire is higher quality maybe but the titan is a lot more money. not worth the extra money imo. all that happened to my fenix is the haiii wore off a little. the lens is not even scratched. that is after i beat the crud out of it. at first i thought it seemed lite and cheap but it has proved it is not at all.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #613 of 828

Quote:
just find this thread here....been a member on the candlepower forums....I'm becoming a flashaholic!

Ha me too!  I'm a lurker of Candlepower but never even knew this whole section existed here.

I carry an EagleTac T20C2 MKII on my duty belt and a Quark Mini AA when I wear a thigh holster, otherwise I just toss it in my pocket as a backup.  Both have served me well.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #614 of 828

Quote:
Ha me too!  I'm a lurker of Candlepower but never even knew this whole section existed here.

I carry an EagleTac T20C2 MKII on my duty belt and a Quark Mini AA when I wear a thigh holster, otherwise I just toss it in my pocket as a backup.  Both have served me well.

Hey whats up man!

The EagleTac T20C2 MKII is probably one of my favorite lights next to Surefires! They're probably better, but you get tired of alternatives when your light won't start just because it's 50 degrees outside haha... I absolutely adore that light...

This is my modded Surefire 6P LED with a forward clicky, 300/80/15 OTF lumens with a couple bali goodies. I spent money to modify a stock one just to get it to perform to the level of that T20C2 except with a Surefire logo on it lol...

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #615 of 828
Holy cow, if only Head-Fi had been around when I was in high school. 

I used to bring Letherman tools, Swiss army knives and Maglites to school with me and the teachers used to borrow them from me to fix things.  I still have my two original AA Maglites and a Solitaire, but my keyring has a Letherman Micro on it presently. At the insistence of shop staff, I ended up getting an LED Lenser some time ago, just as LED lights were becoming all the rage. Last week, after seeing one in a shop, I bought a Maglite XL100 with the multi-function switch. Clever though it is, it didn't come with instructions so I had to check the web site to learn how to use it properly.  I'm thinking of getting an XL200 for the extra brightness as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back