Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Jul 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #91 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks shomie911,
I really never gave flashlights a second thought.
I was actually in the market for a new light and was just going to get a typical Mag Light.
Then I saw this thread!
And as they say, THE REST IS HISTORY!!!

What do you think is a good price?
I found one for $135.00
What accessories are a must?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5530/lasl1hawhl.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5219/surefirel1lumamaxledlss.jpg[/IMG[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Here's a VERY reputable dealer, with a good deal:

[url=http://www.lapolicegear.com/sul1lu2ndgef.html]http://www.lapolicegear.com/sul1lu2ndgef.html[/url]

Surefire L1 Lumamax 2nd Generation with 10 free CR123 batteries and free shipping with the coupon code SUREFIRE at checkout.

As for accessories, you probably won't need any. It already has a clip for pocket carry and you'll get plenty of batteries with that deal.

I've owned a Surefire light that had done 2 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and it still worked 110%, so you can really rely on Surefire flashlights, there's really no other manufacturer that lives up to their reputation.

They also have legendary customer service, I had a tailcap break on one of my lights (my fault) and no questions asked, they sent me a $35 tailcap free of charge.

How's that for service? [img]http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #93 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice shomie911,
Thanks for the information and the link.
That does sound like a great price!
I will order it tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Ray

No problem, glad I could help.
o2smile.gif

(Though that Woo Audio amp would be a great show of gratitude
tongue.gif
)

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #95 of 828
I'm a Streamlight sort of guy, myself.

My collection consists of 1 Stinger (Xenon gas-filled bi-pin bulb, 140 Lumens, rechargeable):

412DA2FE2NL._SS500_.jpg

1 Strion LED (160 lumens, rechargeable):

21hGLP83PLL._SL500_AA196_.jpg

1 Stylus (100,000 hours bulb life, 4AAAA batteries):

STR_stylus_enlarged.jpg

1 Inova X1 (2 Watt LED):

http://www.inovalight.com/x.html

...and 3 tranformed Maglite AA's with LED kits and clickable switches

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #96 of 828
Just FYI...DorcyDirect.com is having a sale. The prices they show are already marked down from MSRP. Coupon code is "Spring". 15% off and free shipping. I got their 80 lumen tactical and it appears to be bombproof but probably not in the same league as SureFire but it only cost $25 delivered. I just ordered what looks to be the same body with a 160 Lumen head for $25 delivered.

You can never have too many flashlights, guns , headphones, or knives.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #97 of 828
Quote:

Just FYI...DorcyDirect.com is having a sale. The prices they show are already marked down from MSRP. Coupon code is "Spring". 15% off and free shipping. I got their 80 lumen tactical and it appears to be bombproof but probably not in the same league as SureFire but it only cost $25 delivered. I just ordered what looks to be the same body with a 160 Lumen head for $25 delivered.

I wouldn't put too much trust in a Chinese made $25 flashlight, but I'm sure for around the house use it's a great deal.

But if you have life and money on the line (I'm in Aviation, flashlights are used to inspect planes and during maintainence), you want something that never fails, and is built to last (such as withstanding the daily rigors of corrosive cleaning agents, drops onto concrete from up to 15 feet off the ground, and much more
biggrin.gif
).

So more expensive and trusted brands are usually the answer. Surefire is up there with the best of them.

Quote:

You can never have too many flashlights, guns , headphones, AND knives.

Now that IS one true statement.
o2smile.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #99 of 828
What is the one that looks like it might double as a whiskey flask?

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #100 of 828
That would be a custom made, titanium, Spy 007.

Thats upwards of $1000 of flashlight awesomeness.

Unfortunately it does not have the ability to double as a whiskey flask.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #101 of 828
For $1000 it needs to come with a bottle of 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle. FMR...I'm going in the flashlight business.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #102 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $1000 it needs to come with a bottle of 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle. FMR...I'm going in the flashlight business.

It sounds like a lot, but think about headphones. How many headphones are custom made and CNC'd out of Titanium?

Ya...none.

So the price isn't ridiculous, it's just that you've never viewed flashlights as a hobby before. In the same way most people view headphones over $100 to be "crazy."

On the other hand, it is pretty damn expensive, but so are headphones. (and every other hobby)
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #103 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like a lot, but think about headphones. How many headphones are custom made and CNC'd out of Titanium?

Ya...none.

So the price isn't ridiculous, it's just that you've never viewed flashlights as a hobby before. In the same way most people view headphones over $100 to be "crazy."

On the other hand, it is pretty damn expensive, but so are headphones. (and every other hobby)
biggrin.gif

Yeah, watching the videos of Dave's crazy machining set up in his basement is what sold me.

I've spent far more in my headphone hobby than flashlights, even having two flashlights that cost nearly $1k each.

I've actually sold off the 007 recently since I found that I never really used it. I have a Raw Ti that will fulfill my Ti fetish for now. Right now I have an LED ZEP modded M6 with a Megalenium body that covers the "wow" end of lumen output. Unlike headphones, I really don't use one all the time, I use them for many different circumstances. For headphones, I really only use one or two all the time.

One thing that is crazy about flashaholics is that it is really really easy to sell off your flashlights and lose very little money. It's not uncommon for flashlights posted for sale to sell within a minute of posting.

-Ed

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #104 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, watching the videos of Dave's crazy machining set up in his basement is what sold me.

I've spent far more in my headphone hobby than flashlights, even having two flashlights that cost nearly $1k each.

I've actually sold off the 007 recently since I found that I never really used it. I have a Raw Ti that will fulfill my Ti fetish for now. Right now I have an LED ZEP modded M6 with a Megalenium body that covers the "wow" end of lumen output. Unlike headphones, I really don't use one all the time, I use them for many different circumstances. For headphones, I really only use one or two all the time.

One thing that is crazy about flashaholics is that it is really really easy to sell off your flashlights and lose very little money. It's not uncommon for flashlights posted for sale to sell within a minute of posting.

-Ed

That is a great looking M6.
biggrin.gif

My overdriven MN-16 (two 3.7V AW 18650 Li-ions) with a FiveMega 2x 18650 custom body and a KT-2 head is what satisfies my lumen hunger.

It throws almost as far as my Aspherical Mag (CREE Q5), which is saying a lot.

I agree with you about the selling part, I think of flashlights as converting currency into material form. Whenever I need money, I can have it in my Paypal account within minutes, usually for the same price I bought it for (and in some cases more money for rare items that have gone up in value).

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #105 of 828
I have a Jetbeam M1X and Fenix TK11/P3D and they are awesome lights all for different uses.

I have a handlebar mount for my bike and I love biking with my 700 lumens M1X I got more light power than cars.
atsmile.gif

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back