FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #961 of 1,354
Hi holden4th,

Would you be referring to silicone or foam tips? I'll try to look for them locally...

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #962 of 1,354
just for fun, I hooked the flares pro up to my desktop setup

seriously blown away at the fidelity reproduced. i'm hearing spaciousness that comes close to open backed headphones. these really scale up.
listening to spotify actually reveals the poor quality of the tracks streamed (I usually listen to CD FLAC rips). i'm just amazed i got these for 135 pounds. blows most things at this price range out of the water... really enjoying these. if anyone is on the fence about ordering a pair. just do it!

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #963 of 1,354
just for fun, I hooked the flares pro up to my desktop setup

seriously blown away at the fidelity reproduced. i'm hearing spaciousness that comes close to open backed headphones. these really scale up.
listening to spotify actually reveals the poor quality of the tracks streamed (I usually listen to CD FLAC rips). i'm just amazed i got these for 135 pounds. blows most things at this price range out of the water... really enjoying these. if anyone is on the fence about ordering a pair. just do it!

I'd agree with you, I've used mine several times in my office system which is pretty high end, and they sound superb. Not better or worse than with my HD800's but a slightly different flavour. IEM's have bass that's addictive on the right music too, more so than open back 'phones.

I'd also love to know if there really is anything at this price that is better. As certainly I've not heard any close to it!

Mind you, I'm probably not your typical HeadFi'er who seems always to be looking out for the next best thing and changing IEM's more often than their socks!

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #967 of 1,354
Bought the Flare Pro 2, loving them so far. Anyone had any experience with other tips?

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #968 of 1,354
Bought the Flare Pro 2, loving them so far. Anyone had any experience with other tips?

Wide bore tips work best for me on these. JVC Spiral Dots are the only tips I've come across that are as good or better than the audiophile foams for my preferences so far.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #969 of 1,354
Glad to hear people are loving the Flares Pro - the pricing really opens them up to a new audience who might not have wanted to risk the (relatively) unknown brand. If you have any issues with the treble of the original Flares Pro (not everyone does) the Flares Pro 2 certainly sort that out and it's smoother up top (perhaps just less pronounced?). But yeah, as they're current models they are about twice the price of the now discounted Flares Pro.. so your value for money changes.

I recently upgraded DAP from AK120 II to AK320 and the Golds are really bringing out the extra detail and richness. OK, not night and day difference but noticable and enough to increase enjoyment.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #970 of 1,354
Big Sale on the Flares Gold. I would have picked up a second pair had I ... A. The money and B. Not promised the wife I wouldn't.

They seem to have the last of their inventory on sale, looks like it's 65% off or so now.

I highly recommend these IEMs! Of course, you are all aware of that by now.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #971 of 1,354
Big Sale on the Flares Gold. I would have picked up a second pair had I ... A. The money and B. Not promised the wife I wouldn't.

They seem to have the last of their inventory on sale, looks like it's 65% off or so now.

I highly recommend these IEMs! Of course, you are all aware of that by now.

I've literally just received my Flares 2 Pro :'( however I've still gone and bought the Gold thanks to your tip! So I say thanks but my bank does not :')
Hopefully flares will accept the return of my Pro 2 given the circumstances.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #973 of 1,354
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #974 of 1,354
A great review thank you. When I was looking at the Golds I was also considering the Atlas but with my love of classical music and the need for tonal accuracy it seems that the Golds are the right choice for me.

On another note, with Flare selling out the Golds, what have they got coming out next? The Pros sell out preceded the introduction of the Pros 2 so maybe an improved Gold is on the way.

I'm off overseas in 5 weeks time for an eight week vacation and have to decide whether to take the Pros or the Golds. I've got an AK Jr which the Pros really seem to gel with so maybe I'll leave my expensive Golds at home.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #975 of 1,354
I'd go with the Pros - less remorse if something happens!

Was wondering myself what the next stage is for the Gold - it is a definite improvement on the Pro and Pro 2, but honestly the Pro2 gets most of the way there to the Gold, with a slightly less "refined" but more energetic sound. It tweaks the midrange to get more of the organic tone the Gold excel at, so is actually my preferred model for day to day listening out of their current range, and a no brained when both models were at their full RRP.

If they can make the same sort of incremental upgrade with a "Gold V2", then that would be interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back