FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #931 of 1,354
I'd suggest the Pro 2 over the Gold for metal. The Gold are the "better" IEM, but the Pro 2 is the more sharp and lively of thr two with rock and metal music, and is pretty damn close to the technical capability of the Gold (to me, anyway).

Gold is an extremely good TOTL bracket dynamic driver IEM though, so at £500 (plus any more you can get off with any additional codes of you can find one), it's a serious piece of kit for the money.

Only moved mine on recently as it wasn't getting enough ear time to justify keeping it around with the Pro 2 (and the original Pro), the CA Atlas and CA Solaris all in heavy rotation, so traded up to fund a better source.
Hi
Thanks. I also see you've had periodic audio iems. How do they compare to the flares?

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #932 of 1,354
The Periodic Be is the better of their range (at the moment - not sure when the Carbon will launch). In terms of build quality, the Flares win hands down - the Periodic are really genetic looking, with a thin non detachable cable.

In terms of pure sound, the Be are excellent, with a warmer and thicker tone than the Flares to my ears. The Pro 2 feel slightly more detailed, although the Be are pretty resolving for the price and signature as well. If you like IEMs with more "oomph", the Be might be a better bet on Sonics alone, but the Pro 2 are also very enjoyable for a "neutral" sort of tuning. Both have good sub bass kick.

If I had to just pick one, I'd go for the Pro 2 on a combination of SQ and the much better build and accessories like the wireless Bluetooth module they include in the package. There isn't really a wrong choice between either, though - both are very good for the money.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #933 of 1,354
The Periodic Be is the better of their range (at the moment - not sure when the Carbon will launch). In terms of build quality, the Flares win hands down - the Periodic are really genetic looking, with a thin non detachable cable.

In terms of pure sound, the Be are excellent, with a warmer and thicker tone than the Flares to my ears. The Pro 2 feel slightly more detailed, although the Be are pretty resolving for the price and signature as well. If you like IEMs with more "oomph", the Be might be a better bet on Sonics alone, but the Pro 2 are also very enjoyable for a "neutral" sort of tuning. Both have good sub bass kick.

If I had to just pick one, I'd go for the Pro 2 on a combination of SQ and the much better build and accessories like the wireless Bluetooth module they include in the package. There isn't really a wrong choice between either, though - both are very good for the money.
The only reason I have not yet bought the periodics are because of that cable. Someone mentioned the flares could suit my listening needs so they are now in consideration as are flc 8n, massdrop plus and apparently westone are great for metal. Not sure what to get!

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #934 of 1,354
You may be able to use one of the occasional 10% of vouchers on the Flare website at the moment (on top of their sale) - if you can, the Pro 2 are great value at £230ish delivered in the UK. Also wis worth checking if Flare are still doing their 30 day money back thing - they are the only manufacturer over here I know that allowed you to return in the 1st month if you didn't like them? Might be worth considering as well.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #935 of 1,354
I learned a long time ago - but I never practiced what I learned - that if you're on a budget, never by Flare Audio stuff when it's released because it will always be half price sooner or later.. Kind of annoying, but great for the more sensible people! At least I got the initial discount on the Golds when they were released.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #936 of 1,354
I've a feeling that people listening to metal want different sonic attributes to say, folk or electronica (or field recordings like I also listen to). The Golds have a more kind of luscious midrange and treble than the Pro 2s, so may be a waste of time if you're not listiening to music that exploits that. The original Flares Pro might get a bit annoying with the slightly harder top end, if you're listening to a lot of impactful distortion and rhythms. For me, the stand-out aspects of all the Flares is their detail (I think that means soundstage depth too) and naturalness across the range - again, this might not be exploiting the aspects of metal you enjoy at all. ?

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #937 of 1,354
I've a feeling that people listening to metal want different sonic attributes to say, folk or electronica (or field recordings like I also listen to). The Golds have a more kind of luscious midrange and treble than the Pro 2s, so may be a waste of time if you're not listiening to music that exploits that. The original Flares Pro might get a bit annoying with the slightly harder top end, if you're listening to a lot of impactful distortion and rhythms. For me, the stand-out aspects of all the Flares is their detail (I think that means soundstage depth too) and naturalness across the range - again, this might not be exploiting the aspects of metal you enjoy at all. ?
Metal is a difficult one, death/black/doom sound very different. Dm6 clarity I found fatiguing after one album. I like rha t20i so I suppose I'm looking for an upgrade on those.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #938 of 1,354
Tempted to jump back in for the Gold's. Bought and sold them when they came out and kind of miss their signature sound.

Tempting.

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #939 of 1,354
It's a temporary sale I think ... so you may well be able to sell them on for the same or slightly higher price. Depends on price when you sell them. (who knows with Flare Audio! Could be a new every-day price coming for the Golds..)

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #940 of 1,354
Regarding metal: Doom metal definately benefits from a good warm sound signature, especially the slower stuff - rich textures of guitar distortion and effects weaving in and out of each other. Well, depends on the band!

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #941 of 1,354
I think I'll get these as the sale price is good. It's between these and isine

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #943 of 1,354
how do the Flares Pro compare with the Final E5000?

Very different sound. E5000 has a much bigger and softer bass, with a more romantic and thick tuning, with a more emotional midrange presentation. The E5000 isn't a detail monster, so the Pro and Pro 2 beat it in terms of detail retrieval by a decent margin.

Pro / Pro 2 is a more neutral sounding IEM, with a more technical/analytical sound. The E5000 is a somewhere between basshead and a downward sloping musical sort of tuning.

Stage and size of notes feel a little bigger on the E5000.

What sort of music do you listen to?

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #944 of 1,354
Very different sound. E5000 has a much bigger and softer bass, with a more romantic and thick tuning, with a more emotional midrange presentation. The E5000 isn't a detail monster, so the Pro and Pro 2 beat it in terms of detail retrieval by a decent margin.

Pro / Pro 2 is a more neutral sounding IEM, with a more technical/analytical sound. The E5000 is a somewhere between basshead and a downward sloping musical sort of tuning.

Stage and size of notes feel a little bigger on the E5000.

What sort of music do you listen to?
thank you for your answer, i like sludge metal and drum and bass(old stuff), i was curious becouse they both use micro dynamic drivers

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #945 of 1,354
I have e5000 and jackpot77 has described them perfectly which may help me decide whether to get flares, isine or moondrop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back