FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
May 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #676 of 1,354
Hey guys who own the Golds and a tidal app, have a listen to this song:

Bria Skonberg called My Shadow
I had to look around me and over my shoulder a couple of times, the details in the song are and what the Golds bring out are fantastic!

Listening to "My Shadow" right now, and I can tell right away this would not be a song that would sound well on the FlaresPro, but does on the FlaresGold. Some of the instrumentals in the very beginning have a certain pitch, and it continues sporadically throughout the song, kind of the sound of a desk scraping along the floor while having a hearing test. Its just fine ambient noise on the Gold, but the Pro would just overdo these instrumentals into a difficult to listen to mesh of noise.

On the positive side, the Gold does well by this song, There really is incredible lifelike detail to this song that makes me feel like I'm in an upscale supper club atmosphere listening to the big band while sipping chocolate martinis. While I'm not so much interested in that atmosphere anymore (except for the chocolate martinis), I definitely get some nice past experiences in my mind listening to this. I use to spend alot of time at high class steakhouses the song reminds me of.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #677 of 1,354
I'm going to write more here later on, but I wanted to leave for now with this...

Its a trailer to a movie I'm very highly anticipating. I pretty much love anything that has to do with telekinesis, and this movie looks like its going to be great, especially being made by the producers involved with "Stranger Things".

The trailer song is by a very amazing singer, Ruelle. The full song is on Tidal, search for Ruelle Unsecret, the song "Revolution". For some reason, the song now is appearing as track 1, whereas its also been in different listed positions the past times I've searched for it.

I haven't done a test between my other iems for this song. However on the FlaresGold it sounds incredible, a very atmospheric song I actually can detect movement in the vocals within the song. I generally have trouble with that on most iems where it either sounds forward or recessed to me and not doing well on providing movement of vocals, at least not to the extent I'm hearing on the FlaresPro.

Granted I didn't find the FlaresPro as being bassy, the FlaresGold tones the bass down to more of an R2 series-like bass. When I was listening to the supper club song spinrite mentioned, upon hearing the type of song it was, normally that type of music is bassy, not thumpy-bass, but more like just deep, or thick. The FlaresGold did not overdo the bass at all though. People who want Flares excellent mid-forward vocals but with more bass may actually prefer the FlaresPro , so long as they can deal with the treble. Although the FlaresPro would likely accentuate some of the harsher instrumentals in "My Shadow" that at least wouldn't sound so good to me using the FlaresPro.

On "Revolution" using the FlaresGold, the bass is just fine, doesn't bleed into anything, has lots of detail that is sharp - you can hear just a very slight bit of distortion in the sound that may not necessarily be the FlaresGold tuning, as the song is very heavily tuned in a "out in the middle of the woods" sort of way, where there is alot of surrounding 3d vocal movement that also moves instruments in the same style that get "caught up" in the atmosphere.

One thing I would say with near-certainty from past listening experiences, is that an iem such as what Bose makes, a bassy, more "hollow" mid would really make "Revolution" sound awful. Same likely from V-Shaped iems. At that point headphones would be better for "Revolution" and other similar atmospheric music. These songs really need the proper handling of space and vocal movement. Most iems just are not good dealing with it. Yet still, the FlaresGold not only does these things well, they do them exceptionally well.

A request I have is for anyone who has any kind of audio measurement equipment and programming to do a frequency response test of the FlaresGold - that would be great to see here on Head-Fi.

May 3, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #678 of 1,354
I'm going to write more here later on, but I wanted to leave for now with this...

Its a trailer to a movie I'm very highly anticipating. I pretty much love anything that has to do with telekinesis, and this movie looks like its going to be great, especially being made by the producers involved with "Stranger Things".

The trailer song is by a very amazing singer, Ruelle. The full song is on Tidal, search for Ruelle Unsecret, the song "Revolution". For some reason, the song now is appearing as track 1, whereas its also been in different listed positions the past times I've searched for it.

I haven't done a test between my other iems for this song. However on the FlaresGold it sounds incredible, a very atmospheric song I actually can detect movement in the vocals within the song. I generally have trouble with that on most iems where it either sounds forward or recessed to me and not doing well on providing movement of vocals, at least not to the extent I'm hearing on the FlaresPro.

Granted I didn't find the FlaresPro as being bassy, the FlaresGold tones the bass down to more of an R2 series-like bass. When I was listening to the supper club song spinrite mentioned, upon hearing the type of song it was, normally that type of music is bassy, not thumpy-bass, but more like just deep, or thick. The FlaresGold did not overdo the bass at all though. People who want Flares excellent mid-forward vocals but with more bass may actually prefer the FlaresPro , so long as they can deal with the treble. Although the FlaresPro would likely accentuate some of the harsher instrumentals in "My Shadow" that at least wouldn't sound so good to me using the FlaresPro.

On "Revolution" using the FlaresGold, the bass is just fine, doesn't bleed into anything, has lots of detail that is sharp - you can hear just a very slight bit of distortion in the sound that may not necessarily be the FlaresGold tuning, as the song is very heavily tuned in a "out in the middle of the woods" sort of way, where there is alot of surrounding 3d vocal movement that also moves instruments in the same style that get "caught up" in the atmosphere.

One thing I would say with near-certainty from past listening experiences, is that an iem such as what Bose makes, a bassy, more "hollow" mid would really make "Revolution" sound awful. Same likely from V-Shaped iems. At that point headphones would be better for "Revolution" and other similar atmospheric music. These songs really need the proper handling of space and vocal movement. Most iems just are not good dealing with it. Yet still, the FlaresGold not only does these things well, they do them exceptionally well.

A request I have is for anyone who has any kind of audio measurement equipment and programming to do a frequency response test of the FlaresGold - that would be great to see here on Head-Fi.

I will get my measuring rig set up again and check the Golds. Be advised that my measurements are relative as I have not calibrated to any standard.

May 4, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #680 of 1,354
The delivery drama for my Pros continues. This afternoon it was processed through a mail sorting centre in Western Australia instead of heading up the coast to Queensland. I'm assuming it traveled by truck from Sydney to Perth - a fraction under 4000 kms. The US analogy would be similar to having an LA delivery address, the parcel is sorted through a SF mail sorting centre and is then sent, by road, to Chicago. I now have a case number for this issue and have made it clear that it needs to resolved asap.

May 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #681 of 1,354
Sorry if I take this thread off track, but my R2S have developed a disconnect in the right ear. Is there anyone out there who has successfully found a place that will recable these IEMs, to something a little more reliable? this is the 2nd issue I've had with the cable and connectors giving out on me. Any help would be appreciated, and I do plan on upgrading to the Flare Pros eventually.

May 4, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #682 of 1,354
Sorry if I take this thread off track, but my R2S have developed a disconnect in the right ear. Is there anyone out there who has successfully found a place that will recable these IEMs, to something a little more reliable? this is the 2nd issue I've had with the cable and connectors giving out on me. Any help would be appreciated, and I do plan on upgrading to the Flare Pros eventually.
Bummer. What country do you live in?

May 4, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #686 of 1,354
Listening to "My Shadow" right now, and I can tell right away this would not be a song that would sound well on the FlaresPro, but does on the FlaresGold. Some of the instrumentals in the very beginning have a certain pitch, and it continues sporadically throughout the song, kind of the sound of a desk scraping along the floor while having a hearing test. Its just fine ambient noise on the Gold, but the Pro would just overdo these instrumentals into a difficult to listen to mesh of noise.

On the positive side, the Gold does well by this song, There really is incredible lifelike detail to this song that makes me feel like I'm in an upscale supper club atmosphere listening to the big band while sipping chocolate martinis. While I'm not so much interested in that atmosphere anymore (except for the chocolate martinis), I definitely get some nice past experiences in my mind listening to this. I use to spend alot of time at high class steakhouses the song reminds me of.

Arysyn, sounds like i put you in a mellow mood with that music listening, lol. Nothing like a great earphone to transport you. Its incredible how detailed and intimate these golds can be, so many layers of textured details in the music they can pickup and present true to real live in person music.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #687 of 1,354
Arysyn, sounds like i put you in a mellow mood with that music listening, lol. Nothing like a great earphone to transport you. Its incredible how detailed and intimate these golds can be, so many layers of textured details in the music they can pickup and present true to real live in person music.

Yes indeed, it was a very nice, relaxing song. Quite atmospheric. I use that term alot to describe the FlaresGold because the FlaresGold isn't just like listening to speakers in a room. They have this quality about them that sounds as if its placing you at the site of the music. Its very surreal.

May 4, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #688 of 1,354
Acid Rain by Lorn

This is the newest must-listen track in my collection and the reason for that is simple and obvious, arriving at 21 seconds into the song. The bass drop. On a good pair of headphones, it feels like a shovel stabbing deep into hard dirt. It’s quick, deep, penetrating, and almost physical. The feeling of it lingers for a second even after the sound is gone. The recurrence of that bass hit is what makes me love the song.

May 4, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #689 of 1,354
Hunter by Bjork

If you’re short on time and want to test an audio system as quickly as possible, Bjork’s genre-straddling music is the way to go, and “Hunter,” the first track on 1997’s Homogenic, is my favorite. The song opens with a good test of the soundstage of a given pair of headphones: there are drum beats ebbing and flowing on either side of the listener, and the sense of distance between them is a good marker for how expansive the headphones sound. But that’s just the start. The real beauty of “Hunter” is that you’ve got all sorts of instruments mixed with Bjork’s affecting vocals, and once you’re used to the song, you can use that familiarity to determine which of those elements is made more prominent by the headphones. When Bjork builds up to the soaring “how” in “I thought I could organize freedom, how Scandinavian of me” at 1:40 into the song, you should get chills. No chills? Headphones can’t be that great.

May 4, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #690 of 1,354
Breathe Into Me by Marian Hill

This track has gotten under my skin, primarily because of the angelic vocals of Samantha Gongol. There’s some finger snapping and a deep bassline in the background, but it’s the wistful singing that is the undeniable star of the show. Good headphones will (a) retain the strong backing bass and (b) present the full, airy beauty of Gongol’s vocals. I’d recommend the 2016 ACT ONE album by Marian Hill for anyone else thirsting for more of the same. Deep bass plus soft female vocals is kind of a worn-out trope in electronic music, but it is done very well in this case. I doubt any headphones will make Marian Hill sound awful, but poorly tuned ones are liable to spoil the balance between the low backing notes and high, expressive vocals. As usual, the first test is to decide if the headphones are making you feel the music the way you usually do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back