FlaresPro/FlaresGold by Flare Audio
Aug 31, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #166 of 1,354
Not been following for a week (update alerts not working again) or so and just caught up on posts.
I still feel the flares are one of the best bang for buck iems out there but as always there is a cost, I can't speak for everyone but a lot of my sound issues have been down to fit...i have experienced way too much bass , veiled mids , and fizzy treble all by using wrong fitting tips and under or over insertion......get these right for your ear canal and there a dream, wrong then you will experience the above.
None of the supplied tips worked well for me apart from small audiophile tissue foam that tore after about 5 seconds ...i have been using spinfits and even with those it takes time to get the depth of insertion right.
I would still highly recommend though.

You are right, fit and seal are everything! I have tried the stock tips, Spinfit, Spiral and UE900 tips and find that while all of these (in size L) work well, for me the best overall fit and seal is by using the Everyday silicone tips. I use a shallow seal which fully covers the opening to my ear canals but does not actually enter them, hence I still am receiving absolutely superb performance and could not be happier with my purchase.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #167 of 1,354
You are right, fit and seal are everything! I have tried the stock tips, Spinfit, Spiral and UE900 tips and find that while all of these (in size L) work well, for me the best overall fit and seal is by using the Everyday silicone tips. I use a shallow seal which fully covers the opening to my ear canals but does not actually enter them, hence I still am receiving absolutely superb performance and could not be happier with my purchase.

They are pretty stunning when you get them right....i have just picked up a pair of new oriveti primacy for work which are about £50- £100 cheaper admittedly there not my usual sound sig a bit bassy/warm but the flares outshine these by far in my opinion, there just so clean sounding .

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #169 of 1,354
I just want to say that I usually can't stand IEMs, but I love these. Whereas most IEMs don't fit well, have awful soundstage, and often leave me in pain after prolonged listening, these don't. If these had been around years ago, my head-fi journey would have been different.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #170 of 1,354
I have lots of hours on my Flares so far and it seems as though the sound just seems to get better and better in terms of smoothness, sub-bass and expansive and immersive soundstage. I am mostly using the Bluetooth module as it gives me so much flexibility in my choice of transports and is almost unnoticeable in use. Plus, it really does provide exceptional sound!

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #171 of 1,354
The Flare Audio engineers have been reviewing this thread for input, so anyone who wants to share your input, this is the place. I've been in regular contact with one of the engineers and I can say with confidence Flare Audio is very good at following up with anything concerning their products.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #172 of 1,354
Ordered a 2nd set for my dad. Really the only thing I'd change about these so far is to add a 2.5mm TRRS balanced adapter in the bundle, for use w/ A&K DAPs.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #173 of 1,354
The Flare Audio engineers have been reviewing this thread for input, so anyone who wants to share your input, this is the place. I've been in regular contact with one of the engineers and I can say with confidence Flare Audio is very good at following up with anything concerning their products.

Maybe you could pass on the request from many of us to make available a balanced connector similar to the SE cable but only terminated with a TRRS connector. That would make things about perfect!

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #174 of 1,354
Maybe you could pass on the request from many of us to make available a balanced connector similar to the SE cable but only terminated with a TRRS connector. That would make things about perfect!

I wrote to Flare Audio sharing your suggestion, HiFlight.

I'm having a meeting with someone from Head-Fi in a few days I'm very much looking forward to, where I'm bringing some of my equipment to share, including the FlaresPro. While I'm at the meeting, I'm going to try the FlaresPro on another source and compare it with another iem. If the fizz is still noticeable, it'll be all I really can do.

Again, I'm still really glad for this experience, as it hashelped reshape my sound signature preferences and outlook towards audio frequency graphs. Regarding the FlaresPro itself, I agree with many here who really like the item, as the FlaresPro is a very special Dynamic driver iem competing gloriously among the cesspool of the dreaded V-shaped iems.

No offense meant to people who like the V-shape sound, but my comment really is meant to show my dislike for that particular sound signature itself. Flare Audio really is daring to do with the FlaresPro what is so uncommon among Dynamic driver iems, and I must say that I'm very impressed by their effort in all ways, with the exception of the treble area.

I'm thinking perhaps there is a defect that is not present in all units of the FlaresPro. Another mention I haven't addressed regarding this, until now, as its taking me some time to think about a good enough term to describe the fitting of this effect, is that the fizz itself sounds like something of a "loose addition to the sound", in a way. It is as if something in the design is attaching itself to the tuning and amplifying the treble region in where specific vocals are being given that particular unwanted amplification. So while at first it may sound as if its the tuning itself, it may actually be something else in the build.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but I've also mentioned how its not present in all music, which has me wondering if its directly the tuning, then certainly other music would have to be avoiding this completely and I'm not sure if that necessarily is true. So, what I'm thinking this could be from is one of Flare Audio's sound technologies that are used in the FlaresPro in one of the equipment structures that is defective in some units, which are effected by certain music, or perhaps triggered by volume, or even has its negative outcome lessened or enhanced depending on eartip placement/overall snugness, etc.

Basically something that mimics an overly-enhanced treble tuning, but is not that or even as I've suggested in the past being a differential where the extended upper treble bump is taken too far. Again, this isn't a typical sibilance issue, but rather an issue regarding sound static during parts of the sound where treble is sensitive and can produce static in the sound.

If Flare Audio can resolve this issue, as I believe they will, the FlaresPro without the issue will truly be an outstanding iem.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #175 of 1,354

Absolutely what these IEMs need. I'm sure I can cobble something together that will work, but I'd rather not have to. Just offer an optional 2.5mm TRRS adapter cable, like the SE cable, and it would be complete.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #176 of 1,354
perhaps triggered by volume, or even has its negative outcome lessened or enhanced depending on eartip placement/overall snugness, etc.

I realy think for me this is what i experienced.
When I first started messing about with tips quite a few times they sounded broken , like a blown driver/rasping and it was all about seal achieved, if too loose they start rasping sounding thin.
The non audiophile foams were too long and made a seal that stopped one driver working all together which I think was due to one of my ear canals being smaller than the other, the same thing happened with the regular tips supplied if i made too tight seal....i agree with Hiflight about position , i.e just seal not too lose or too far in as that seems to achieve most balanced sound without too much bass or rasping treble.
I still want to stress to anyone reading these posts about issues not to be put off as these are truly fsntastic once you have found fit.

Also I would like to say these are the most fit dependant iems i have ever owned but worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #177 of 1,354
I wrote to Flare Audio sharing your suggestion, HiFlight.

I'm having a meeting with someone from Head-Fi in a few days I'm very much looking forward to, where I'm bringing some of my equipment to share, including the FlaresPro. While I'm at the meeting, I'm going to try the FlaresPro on another source and compare it with another iem. If the fizz is still noticeable, it'll be all I really can do.

Again, I'm still really glad for this experience, as it hashelped reshape my sound signature preferences and outlook towards audio frequency graphs. Regarding the FlaresPro itself, I agree with many here who really like the item, as the FlaresPro is a very special Dynamic driver iem competing gloriously among the cesspool of the dreaded V-shaped iems.

No offense meant to people who like the V-shape sound, but my comment really is meant to show my dislike for that particular sound signature itself. Flare Audio really is daring to do with the FlaresPro what is so uncommon among Dynamic driver iems, and I must say that I'm very impressed by their effort in all ways, with the exception of the treble area.

I'm thinking perhaps there is a defect that is not present in all units of the FlaresPro. Another mention I haven't addressed regarding this, until now, as its taking me some time to think about a good enough term to describe the fitting of this effect, is that the fizz itself sounds like something of a "loose addition to the sound", in a way. It is as if something in the design is attaching itself to the tuning and amplifying the treble region in where specific vocals are being given that particular unwanted amplification. So while at first it may sound as if its the tuning itself, it may actually be something else in the build.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but I've also mentioned how its not present in all music, which has me wondering if its directly the tuning, then certainly other music would have to be avoiding this completely and I'm not sure if that necessarily is true. So, what I'm thinking this could be from is one of Flare Audio's sound technologies that are used in the FlaresPro in one of the equipment structures that is defective in some units, which are effected by certain music, or perhaps triggered by volume, or even has its negative outcome lessened or enhanced depending on eartip placement/overall snugness, etc.

Basically something that mimics an overly-enhanced treble tuning, but is not that or even as I've suggested in the past being a differential where the extended upper treble bump is taken too far. Again, this isn't a typical sibilance issue, but rather an issue regarding sound static during parts of the sound where treble is sensitive and can produce static in the sound.

If Flare Audio can resolve this issue, as I believe they will, the FlaresPro without the issue will truly be an outstanding iem.

I still feel that you are hearing the results of poor mastering, otherwise the artifacts you are hearing would be present in nearly all recordings. I am assuming that most recorded music has frequency components present where you are hearing "fizz". Unfortunately, many of today's pop recordings are victims of the "Loudness Wars".

The better the headphones, the more they will reveal poor quality recordings. The sad thing is that a large percentage of listeners accept this mediocrity in recordings. Even "Hi-Res" re-mastered recordings do not guarantee quality recordings. The result is that the poor quality is just present at a higher resolution.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #178 of 1,354
Just sharing the FlaresPro frequency graph here in its corrected, viewable position. I noticed the one I posted several pages ago was sideways. I figure its a good opportunity to repost it here now in its viewable form.
FLARES PRO Freq Resp.png

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #179 of 1,354
I listened to these last night and it's always there, just spotlighted on certain recordings. Top end sounds a bit metallic to me. He had some tips on them that restricted the highs a bit (spinfit duals) and that mitigated the issue somewhat but also gave them too much lower mid color. When I threw some single flange spinfits on them, it was always noticeable. It's a sound that many like but it's not for me. I couldn't live with B2s or Jays either and both were popular so as usual ymmv. Here, you have more bass that those but the top is still a bit much to my ear. I gave Arysyn my re00s and I think he'll be happier with those. Nice meeting you.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #180 of 1,354
I listened to these last night and it's always there, just spotlighted on certain recordings. Top end sounds a bit metallic to me. He had some tips on them that restricted the highs a bit (spinfit duals) and that mitigated the issue somewhat but also gave them too much lower mid color. When I threw some single flange spinfits on them, it was always noticeable. It's a sound that many like but it's not for me. I couldn't live with B2s or Jays either and both were popular so as usual ymmv. Here, you have more bass that those but the top is still a bit much to my ear. I gave Arysyn my re00s and I think he'll be happier with those. Nice meeting you.:beerchug:

Good to have people on the boards willing to help others on here. Did you try the Flares on a different setup than what he had?? Totally different hardware and software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back