Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 23, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,896 of 3,098
I am so pissed off about not being able to buy the replacement cable driver set! Amazon UK are the only store selling it and they don't ship to Australia. Scoured the internet for another store, found two, both directing me to, you guessed it, Amazon UK! On top of that, can't find a techo to solder my existing drivers to the new IE80 cable I bought. Not happy.

Sent an e-mail to Flare earlier, let's see if they can help.

i can buy it for you and post to australia, probably 5 euro registered post.

How do you commute to work??  If it's by train, public transport etc then what happens on that commute to cause any harm to any iem? I'm imagining that you must have to crawl through mud and stuff, cut paths through dense forest and stuff....

I use them on journeys to work regularly (am freelance so not every day ). I uncoil them from their zip case (any will do), put them in, enjoy them... at the end of the commute I coil them back up and back they go into the case..  I've had absolutely NO issues with anything going wrong with them at all in over a year and still no signs of wear.

For the last few months, I've misplaced my Flare zip case and have just been coiling them up and putting them in a small pocket on their own in my bag, or even wrapping them around my ipod (unplugged, obviously..).  Still no issue whatsoever with the cables!

Do you have personal experience of how practical or non-practical the Flares are? Or are you going on a handful of people's complaints on here, people who have likely just been screwing them up in their hand, throwing them in a gym big bag or pocket and then janking on the ends to pull them and untangle them from their trainers, keys or whatever junk is in their bags or pockets? I've seen how many many people treat their earbuds, even if they've bought Scull Candies or Beats (i.e. have actually gone out and bought a brand rather than using free ones) - I guess many wont treat their Flare R2s any different from that either!

If you coil any iem up in a zip case after use then even the most delicate of iem (which the Flares are not IMO) will last a long time on any non-adventurous commute.

And then, Flare Audio sell replacement driver/cable sets for even when you are unable to look after them! I can't think of many that you can repair so easily.

when you yank cable on anything, happened two times im surprised it still works

two at jack when iphone is in pocket it would push jack cable to side of pocket and break it, no much cable stress relief on it, and the one it has is short and is made of stiff rubber. plus screw that jams cable breaks cables too.

other than that its ok

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,898 of 3,098
Yes contact Flare, you can buy them directly. I will say though, that I too make sure to put them back in the zip case whenever not in use, and am need to replace the cables. That's how I know they will do it. You can also send them back to Flare Audio and have them install and calibrate them at no extra cost, which is what I plan on doing.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,899 of 3,098
I have never had any problem with the Flares and have owned them about 9 months. However I've been lucky to have avoided snagging and yanking them on something too bad. If you treat them well and get a little lucky I see no reason they shouldn't last. But by appearance you probably should coddle them.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,900 of 3,098
I need something rugged for daily commute. Pros are too nonpractical.

Still a bad move if you ask me.... What's *too* nonpractical about them? Not having a Kevlar reinforced cable? Are you an SAS operative? You need ear hooks to keep the rockets in place, seen any pics of people wearing them? I concur with @Stuff Jones here, don't give up the Pro's!

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,901 of 3,098
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,902 of 3,098
I'm not either, not joined, don't use it...  but if I'm checking up myself for info, I'll post up anything interesting. Then again, I'm going away so I'm sure their will be official announcements before I find time to look myself.

I got that info by searching Google and then a few clicks on the Twitter site :)   Twitter is just a website afterall..

Want rolling updates on anything commercial, you're best off searching google with "twitter" at the end of your search term, see what you get, then change your google search as new, relevent terms like hashtags come up.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,903 of 3,098
Great news! Flare are sending me a replacement cable set for my Pros. Top blokes as always. Can't wait to see what they're launching in July and sure thing the next version of R2s will find their way to me ASAP :)

I have found a champ in Philippines that is brave enough to take on the R2 drivers soldering job. Will post the damaged cable set along with the new cable to him as soon as I get Flare's set. Will keep you posted on how re-cabling went. Who knows,we might be lucky enough to find someone who could reliably re-cable R2s for us. He is charging $25 plus postage costs and if successful that's a bargain.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2,904 of 3,098
I'm not either, not joined, don't use it...  but if I'm checking up myself for info, I'll post up anything interesting. Then again, I'm going away so I'm sure their will be official announcements before I find time to look myself.

I got that info by searching Google and then a few clicks on the Twitter site :)   Twitter is just a website afterall..

Want rolling updates on anything commercial, you're best off searching google with "twitter" at the end of your search term, see what you get, then change your google search as new, relevent terms like hashtags come up.

Thanks for that!

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,905 of 3,098
ive removed grills from dynamic and vocals are just boosted, cleaner sound but weak bass. still nice
uk is out of eu, not sure how to feel about that

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,906 of 3,098
  Great news! Flare are sending me a replacement cable set for my Pros. Top blokes as always. Can't wait to see what they're launching in July and sure thing the next version of R2s will find their way to me ASAP :)

I have found a champ in Philippines that is brave enough to take on the R2 drivers soldering job. Will post the damaged cable set along with the new cable to him as soon as I get Flare's set. Will keep you posted on how re-cabling went. Who knows,we might be lucky enough to find someone who could reliably re-cable R2s for us. He is charging $25 plus postage costs and if successful that's a bargain.

Glad you found someone to do it, pity it's not here in OZ. I'm going to keep looking locally.

I had my impressions made today and have sent an e-mail to Michael at connecthearing as recommended. The audiologist siad she knew of a few that connect hearing use but for the moment I'll stick with the people you used because they did such a great job. Can you remember their name?

Having the impression material in my ears was interesting, especially the depth of the isolation. I could gear what the audiologist was saying when she was right in front of me but when she moved to her computer and was not directly facing me, it was just a murmur. That's amazing isolation and I can't wait to hear what it will do for the clarity and depth of these amazing iems.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #2,907 of 3,098
Not exactly sure how the mob is called, something like Adelaide Moulders.
Isolation is fantastic! I was on a small noisy airplane from Adelaide to Robxy Downs and the engine noise was hardly audible between the songs. Can't see how you could get better isolation than that. The custom tips also never wear out and fit perfectly each and every time :) No more Comply or Spinfit hunting!

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,908 of 3,098

back to using vsd3s large tips, i bought ted baker dover iems today in tkmax, i know not a place to buy iems but i did tip rolling and those sound best with delta tips, did same with flares and yep they sound supa nice, no grill on driver makes cleaner sound. bass is fine in quality, quantity not much but overall clean

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,910 of 3,098

back to using vsd3s large tips, i bought ted baker dover iems today in tkmax, i know not a place to buy iems but i did tip rolling and those sound best with delta tips, did same with flares and yep they sound supa nice, no grill on driver makes cleaner sound. bass is fine in quality, quantity not much but overall clean

Could you please stop referring to your IEMs as "Flares"? These are DIY and only have their cable and drivers. They might sound even better - I can't know that and I'm not disputing it. 
But you're not only calling them Flares but also make recommendations about tips and stuff (and they simply do not apply to real Flares).

I'm asking you because real Flares sounds good only with foams or perhaps custom tips (still waiting on mine). People read your posts and might pointlessly spend money on tips like SpinFits or else - I've tried 15 different silicon tips and it makes no different, all sounds terrible compared to foams.

These are my beloved IEMs and I can strongly recommend them to anyone as long as they like using foams - otherwise there's no point in buying them. What you are posting might by and is confusing. At least make an annotation that your posts applies only to your DIY IEMs build around Flare drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back