Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #2,927 of 3,098
I don't believe I'm qualified to offer an assessment on sound signature, other than they sounded fantastic. I'm a big fan of the R2's, if anything they sounded clearer and even more detailed. From memory they are slightly larger, but still as comfortable. I don't want to steal Flare's thunder when they release them later this year. As I said previously I'm not qualified to make judgement on sound signature as its all very subjective. I was fortunate to met some of the team and got to see some of the new products heading our way. What struck me most was the passion and enthusiasm. All I can say is I'm defiantly in on the next campaign etc

Thank you vey much, Jezzer, that's a good something. Assuming you're doing a "false memory" exercise, would you say that these new models could have a "bigger" bass?? 

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2,928 of 3,098
Wallet? No worries, got credit cards. I am ready Flare, take my money! :grinning:

Was referring to that expression to welcome @Jezzer C .

Topping up my cc, this may turn out to be a very expensive summer after all, even with £ low new product launches like this an CanJam, it'll hurt my wallet. No sign of Flare Audio listing for CanJam though....

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #2,929 of 3,098
oh man a thing of beauty, never have i been excited about an audio cable. not only it is made amazing quality it sounds incredibly amazing, and no audio balance issue, its flare crappy splitter cable that was audio balance. if flare came with this upgrade cable i would have paid 500 euro for it. amazing, simply wow, sound, build quality and no imbalance, perfectly centered. hihi just wow
this cable needs its own thread.

the only iem that sells with upgraded cable is trinity audio with ofc this is occ and silver

the cable exceeded expectation flare is nice

and **** that its diy i hear heaven

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32665812253.html?productId=32665812253&productSubject=High-Quality-Transparent-5N-OCC-Silver-Plated-4-Wire-Pure-Silver-Plated-UE900-Headphone-Cable-DIY&spm=2114.13010608.0.58.voNgms&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,930 of 3,098
Based on your post you are saying that you've already had this attached to your Flares? I'm thinking of doing similar but using an IE80 cable as it is similar thickness to the Flare cable but much stronger. All I have to do is find someone local to perform the work. Easier said than done in today's "let's just replace the whole thing" approach.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,931 of 3,098

audio improvement is huge, the imbalance is because of flare cable.

yes i did attach, did a listen impressive, occ with silver is a beautiful, just admiring the cable, the most amazing cable ive ever had, haha just admiring the quality of the cable.

i did a quick solder to see how it sounds and its incredible. even though i have some cables from flare cable it already sounds much better.

all you need is this

and a bit of this

even that amount is enough

if your cable broke in the iem by the cap you need a pointy soldering iron tip, i just grind it on a grinder into a tip, just dont apply to dynamic longer than half a second and blow on it for a few seconds to cool it

i dont know how ofc cables good but occ and silver are just quality.

this is just a quick soder to listen later i probably will cut and soder closer to iems. and will put fish tank sheath over the soder joint, but even like this quality is so much better, more dynamic sound, so much more effortless and resolving.

later might buy silver cable, pure silver wites on aliexpress too, also about 10 euro just needs a jack to soder to. pure silver with jack are way more expensive though. might get a gold plated jack and pure solver cables and soder those to make a cable. but this is good enought though. the occ is also very long so it wont have issue of short cable. i totally reccommend this upgrade cable. for 15 euro you get 100 euro worth better audio, plus considering crazy audio volume imbalance on flare cable its about 150-200 euro better audio. hihi

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,932 of 3,098
My replacement cable and drivers set has arrived from Flare. No mic and NO CUFF ans I asked. More than that, to my surprise, I received not one, but two sets! Thank you Flare! Now I'm set for my overseas flight later in August and for a long time of enjoying my R2Pros. Makes the wait for the new version much easier.

The set was a breeze to install, only took me 5 minutes or so. As there is no cuff, I had to Tidal a left-right test tune to determine which one's which, but other than that dead easy to install. Damn, how I missed the bass and those sweet mids :)

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,933 of 3,098
heard hifiman he400 is its same as flare audio in quality

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,934 of 3,098
heard hifiman he400 is its same as flare audio in quality

I am not sure how you can make this comparison, you do not own Flare Audio R2's. I would very much prefer it if you stopped referring to your custom IEMs as Flare as it is misleading the head fi forum users.

We are thrilled that the R2 range has been met with such enthusiasm and love from the head fi community and I would really recommend you purchase a full set of R2's including the patented precision milled enclosure to get a real comparison.

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #2,937 of 3,098
well audioquest dragonfly dac is very clean and resolving and pairs very well with my deflares and it pairs well with some headphones i used in hifi shop like hd400s, audeze, for sennheiser hd800 not really. for hd800 probably oppo ha2 is better because they tend to have same dry kind of sound. Dragonfly Red dac is like clean and jompy kind of sound. ye its good if you dont mind the money to spend. fiio x7 dap is way better though which i listened to in shop, but so is a lot of stuff like audeze

the occ cable also improved audio a lot. for the price paul should include occ or silver cable in these iems rather than the stock cable that has volume imbalance. on all three it does anyway. may be just that batch, i duno but occ or silver cable is nice for these iems.

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,938 of 3,098
well audioquest dragonfly dac is very clean and resolving and pairs very well with my deflares and it pairs well with some headphones i used in hifi shop like hd400s, audeze, for sennheiser hd800 not really. for hd800 probably oppo ha2 is better because they tend to have same dry kind of sound. Dragonfly Red dac is like clean and jompy kind of sound. ye its good if you dont mind the money to spend. fiio x7 dap is way better though which i listened to in shop, but so is a lot of stuff like audeze

the occ cable also improved audio a lot. for the price paul should include occ or silver cable in these iems rather than the stock cable that has volume imbalance. on all three it does anyway. may be just that batch, i duno but occ or silver cable is nice for these iems.

Thanks for the impressions I think I will still hold off honestly the profile, output power is what really attracted me to it, oh and that sexy Redness lol. Saying that the only DAC I have tried and hand on heart without any fancy mods or spending any extra that sounded even close to what I'm using is the Mojo wouldn't recommend anything else DAC wise for portability as of yet. If it was smaller did balanced out I'd be set! 

You liked the X7 oh my gosh you need the M20 in your life it's coming out soon and I am sure I can get you one at a decent price maybe even a little lower than retail. It's like the X7 functionality wise cleaner more airy sound with less of a bass bloom great battery life live streaming and looks pretty sleek imo. I do think cables make a nice difference I wish Flare would just do it and go for a range of higher end cables, Silver OCC or even a hybrid would be nice maybe the added option of a balanced jack? 

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #2,939 of 3,098
I haven't heard mojo or m20 daps but mojo probably would be better than dragonfly red dac. if mojo is better than fiio x7 dap I don't know cause I didn't use mojo but according to reviews in DFR thread mojo is slightly better than oppo ha2 and dragonfly red. and I heard oppo ha2 in shop and I prefer DFR it seemed more clean and better for pop edm sounding.
fiio x7 seemed like a new and much different audio quality category, that one is super clean and super dynamic. as for m20 I don't know I didn't use it.
but it seems like a nice move to put full android phone in those daps, it's not as good as iPhone but android is better than rudimental os like on fiio x3 which also sounds rather bad for a device like this. with android it's not as good as iPhone but at least you can install apps like on iPhone like Spotify, soundcloud, radio apps, upload high res music to it, plus android is good at micro sd card memory expantion rather than iphone. fiio x7 has a bad display though, pixilated, but sound is why it's nice. plus it is an android, apps etc.

I am not familiar with balanced but it would be nice if flare offered one with balanced cable like trinity audio does. with different cables occ, silver, balanced regular, etc. all different variations, would really help expand the company even with existing current microdriver. which is beautiful by the way.

but I am a less believer in balanced than in better dac at regular jack. it's when you get nice dac you may fiddle with balanced and different audio cables. although the audio quality is better with occ with silver cable.

I didn't find occ with silver to be more thinner it is actually more chunky sound more bass more highs a bit too and also more resolving. may be it is because the cable is thicker and takes more space in iem and introduces bass I don't know. but it just a new audio in terms of type of sound and quality of it.

also mojo doesn't have balanced? I don't know what's the mojo two jacks, some people use it as not true balanced? I duno what's that. but apparently fiio x7 has some modules with balanced. lol

the dacs like DFR, probably mojo, and fiio x7 daps make you realise that it's pointless to have expensive headphone if you use it from iPhone, zuperdac or even df red, fiio x7 is better. you essentially listening to your dac through your iems. dacs have to do a lot for audio quality.

many people still use expensive iems with iPhones, it's better to buy a better dac and cheaper headphones than more expensive headphones and use it from iphone.

but I can relate that not many dacs are that good, I had many dacs all are kinda mediocre rubbish compared to fiio x7 offering only little or marginal improvement for money. DFR being the best of them all after fiio x7 of the dacs I had.
fiio e10k, ak10 dac, ak daps, zuperdac, cozoy aegis, oppo ha2
fiio x7 makes you realise what a ******** they all are. but DFR is also less in quality but it's best dac of all except fiio x7 but it's just a matter of money and value for money.

I would skip all above dacs except for zuperdacdac because of its value for money 80 euro, df red and fiio x7, but quality of audio in reverse, it's just what you feel comfortable to spend. but if you get oppo ha2 at good price it still might be good, but I haven't seen it cheaper than 285 euro even used oppo ha2 sell for retail new price, probably because of import issues, customs which would be about 90 euro.

why I prefer DFR to zuperdac is because it's better sound, louder cause deflares need more power to get volume. on zuperdac it stops playing on full volume on iphone unless if you add 5v to it which is not usable cause you need to attach it to usb plug or a battery. battery can also have issues like switch off when it wants to or feels nothing is connected to it. DFR plays louder and doesn't stop playing on full volume. DFR has gradual volume while zuperdac only has steps for volume no gradual volume on zuperdac and you can't get precise volume if you want with zuperdac and with dfr you can adjust volume as you want. on oppo ha2 there is a wheel for gradual volume but oppo ha2 didn't sound any louder than DFR compared to its size and I don't need a wheel to adjust volume ios volume slider is enough for my use. and also I can adjust volume as low as I can compared to cozoy aegis dac which doesn't have gradual volume and lowest volume is just too loud even for deflares not to mention sensitive iems. cozoys solution was to use apps that cost 50 euro each to preamp volume which apparently sound even better than iPhone app. but that's ******* ********, I want to use radio apps, spotify, soundcloud audio apps and there is no gradual volume for that. plus better dac is still better improvement in quality than app with same dac. and dfr is best dac I had after fiio x7 which is a surprise after how bad fiio e10k and fiio x3 dap sounds.

but ye ymmv

plus DFR supports higher bitrates which I probably won't use, higher nitrate is not gonna improve audio if dac is same. and the df red led colour is mostly green which is for both mp3 and cd quality anything under 1k bitrate df red make led green, even 3k seems to be always green. lol

that would be about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back