Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #2,701 of 3,098
But still veils, just less?  My personal feeling is that the tea-bag mod solves a problem that isn't there (but I had this argument early in the thread so don't want to go there again!)

I use Complis without wax guard and the treble is all good for me and no problem with keeping them clean, tho didn't particularly notice veiling with the wax guard ones either. How they're inserted into the ear is more variable to me than much else - have to give them a little wiggle, flick about so they're pointing at the right angle for my ear canals.
I felt that the treble was a little lacking with the supplied Comply and then a little bit peaky with the Crystal Tips which have no wax guard. T-bagging the Crystals has it about right for me. I will bear in mind your thoughts on position - now that I have the right sized tips for me.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,702 of 3,098
Snugs do an excellent earsleeve for this model BUT.... make sure you have a decent ear impression which goes to the 2nd bend and make sure when you get the earsleeves back that they are long enough to go right into the ear canal and don't accept them until they get them right. Patience will be the key here unless you are really lucky. With the correct earsleeves everything will sound better and the IEMs will be comfortable

Hi, I recently got my snugs but am not sure if they are made right or not (my first custom tips). Could you help me assess it? I think they go quite deep and can get good seal, especially with a help of provided otoferm creme. Is there any test I could perform?
Cheers

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,703 of 3,098

Hi, I recently got my snugs but am not sure if they are made right or not (my first custom tips). Could you help me assess it? I think they go quite deep and can get good seal, especially with a help of provided otoferm creme. Is there any test I could perform?
Cheers

Hiya , wow ! your ear canals are a lot wider than mine! I would say press on them lightly once you have them insterted correctly. While inserting them , open your mouth widely and repeatedly to ensure they're where they need to be.
If when you press lightly against the sleeves there is a big difference, for the better, in the sound , then they don't go deep enough. I am wondering about the left sleeve, the right one looks properly shaped whereas the right looks shapeless

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #2,705 of 3,098
Got my R2Pro back repaired. Tried to make strain reliefs with sugru as I originally thought but it was a big failure; the sugru blocked the tiny gaps on the entry points for the cables, killing any semblance of bass, making the IEM very anemic sounding. I suggest anyone attempting to do the same to try listening before the sugru completely cured.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,706 of 3,098
I made tea bag mod on the second pair cause I noticed the vocals were resessed and now vocals are up front as well and everything sounds better. it just doesn't get any better than this. new pair not only has better bass but has better sound and with teabag mod it's sounds even better. as well as new iPhone 5s, of course new dac would make r2a sound even better. also I don't notice imbalance in volume either got used to it or it equalised itself. I wonder if flair audio would want to update their new r2a with them teabag filters. also adds as a ear wax protector just replace teabag and you have new filter as well. nice iems

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #2,707 of 3,098
Mine have no wax filter or teabag paper as the acrylic tips are long enough to protect the drivers from any damage. Sound is amazing, rich bass, perfect mids and just enough highs. You don't buy R2Pros for highs, anyway. Amazing comfort too, can wear these things for hours and hours and they're a breeze to put in. The ultimate tips imho.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #2,713 of 3,098
Just got Dynamic Motion DM100 from Massdrop. I think I've finally found the closest IEM in sound signature to R2 without the amping requirement. It's still several levels below R2Pro in pretty much everything (timbre, layering, bass impact) imo but it's good enough for daily drivers and playing Vita.

Edit: Oh and just like any other IEM I've tried besides R2s, They can get fatiguing after an extended period of using them.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #2,715 of 3,098
Make sure you take advantage of these prices and get your Flares. My Pros are seriously amazing with the custom acrylic tips. I have flown on a small and noisy Fokker 50 today and I couldn't hear a thing, even between songs. And Sonny Rollins never sounded better while I was flying over the Australian outback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back