Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Mar 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,671 of 3,098

In my experience, spinfits seem to put out less bass since they don't offer as much isolation as other types of tips.  I'm still struggling to find IEM tips that are exactly perfect for myself though I really enjoy the spinfits for comfort.  Maybe its time to go custom again?

For those of you guys who still use these awesome things, what tips do you guys like best?  I have actually never used the comply foam before on any of my IEM's so maybe its something to try out?

Well, having tried some, not many, different tips (the complys, which i don't find comfortable and muffle a little bit the sound for me; the simple and double flange form the Trinity Delta's, The Ostry Os100 and 200, and the Sony Hybrid, all similar in confort), i've found as the clear winners the L size of the Sony (with other IEMS with bigger shells i could use the M size), which give me great clarity, treble extension and a little bit more of slam on the bass (which i sometimes miss on the Flares). So, not forgetting that each ear contains a genuine and dreamy world of sinuous paths of wax (and maybe they just don't work for you), my recommendation goes there.

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,672 of 3,098

In my experience, spinfits seem to put out less bass since they don't offer as much isolation as other types of tips.  I'm still struggling to find IEM tips that are exactly perfect for myself though I really enjoy the spinfits for comfort.  Maybe its time to go custom again?

For those of you guys who still use these awesome things, what tips do you guys like best?  I have actually never used the comply foam before on any of my IEM's so maybe its something to try out?

Comply all the way!

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2,674 of 3,098
Spinfit + comply is nice as well, mid forward nature of spinfit and the added bass from comply's isolation= win for me.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  Hmmm... It seems to me that part of Flare's secret sauce is that the cans are sealed. Do you think that this is the case? If so, are the MH1s sealable?

I'm not sure since I'm not an engineer myself. It's an interesting project though, and it's relatively cheap considering the potential.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,676 of 3,098
aliexpress sells iems with 3.5 or 3 mm dinamic for 10 euro exactly as on flare audio, also metal but i figured if i use a metal tube with 3.5 mm diameter i can put flair dinamics in any earbud i want. so i just used metal tube from a brush, and filled gap with glue tac. may be not as elegant but cant see a point spending 10 euro if i already have some cheap iems right now. and used metal backplate of same diameter. if it doesnt go in easily i wouldnt put it it because its a mess and its gonna break. but my second pair sounds like 200 euro and first pair like 70 euro. the sound is epic for what you pay. ve monks sound like **** in comparison to second pair, although ve monk is quite good too. right earphone sounds a bit quieter than right one but i think flair audio is not doing good quality on them, all of them are quieter on right. sound is so good and you get used to it ifs a small differrence in volume. you pay 50-60 euro and sound like 200 euro to my very subjective. this is how i imagined they sound out of mojo dac and its from my iphone 5c, this stuff is great. for you they will be 500 euro sound. i have two spare dinamics left might make a balanced out of them. what dac can play balanced? thanks

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,677 of 3,098
aliexpress sells iems with 3.5 or 3 mm dinamic for 10 euro exactly as on flare audio, also metal but i figured if i use a metal tube with 3.5 mm diameter i can put flair dinamics in any earbud i want. so i just used metal tube from a brush, and filled gap with glue tac. may be not as elegant but cant see a point spending 10 euro if i already have some cheap iems right now. and used metal backplate of same diameter. if it doesnt go in easily i wouldnt put it it because its a mess and its gonna break. but my second pair sounds like 200 euro and first pair like 70 euro. the sound is epic for what you pay. ve monks sound like **** in comparison to second pair, although ve monk is quite good too. right earphone sounds a bit quieter than right one but i think flair audio is not doing good quality on them, all of them are quieter on right. sound is so good and you get used to it ifs a small differrence in volume. you pay 50-60 euro and sound like 200 euro to my very subjective. this is how i imagined they sound out of mojo dac and its from my iphone 5c, this stuff is great. for you they will be 500 euro sound. i have two spare dinamics left might make a balanced out of them. what dac can play balanced? thanks

Sounds neat! Can you take some pictures to show the details of what you did? In terms of balanced DAPs, the Pono is IMHO the best deal out there.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,678 of 3,098
nope if i take pictures i would take it apart, dont wanna do that, can draw instead

https://youtu.be/w_MMQf5JLso

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,680 of 3,098
I'm so conflicted with these earphones. The sound quality simply outdoes every other earphone I've tried, going back to my cheaper earphones is a jarring experience.

However the build quality of the cable is beyond terrible. So far I've had the original cable break and 2 replacements. I wouldn't say I've kept the best care of them but for a £100+ earphone you'd really hope the cable would last for a bit longer. It feels so damn cheap straight out of the box.

Anyway I lost mine and I'm not sure whether to buy another pair or look for something more durable.
Do you guys know where I could go to get them recabled for a reasonable price?

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,681 of 3,098
  I'm so conflicted with these earphones. The sound quality simply outdoes every other earphone I've tried, going back to my cheaper earphones is a jarring experience.

However the build quality of the cable is beyond terrible. So far I've had the original cable break and 2 replacements. I wouldn't say I've kept the best care of them but for a £100+ earphone you'd really hope the cable would last for a bit longer. It feels so damn cheap straight out of the box.

Anyway I lost mine and I'm not sure whether to buy another pair or look for something more durable.
Do you guys know where I could go to get them recabled for a reasonable price?

Wish I could help you. The cabling is by far the biggest con in my opinion, haven't really seen any problems besides that.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,683 of 3,098
Thinking about buying the Aurisonics Rockets. Those are almost indestructible in comparison and sound seems similar to Flares.

With less extended treble and lows. They are more mid centric than Flares.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #2,685 of 3,098
My modded one gave out on the right earpiece, had to send it to the modder for repair :frowning2:

Love the IEM to death but I think they need a redesign with better strain relief (or any at all). Meanwhile I caved in and bought the discounted R2S on amazon as a backup pair instead of going another route. >.<

I'm thinking of using this http://www.plastimake.com/ for making makeshift strain reliefs when I got mine back. Edit: or maybe sugru would be better since it's malleable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back