Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,536 of 3,098
Soldering that small is a pain even with a microscope. You need at least a temp control iron an a fine tip. Flux a tiny amount so none goes into the driver housing. You could do a j fish hook with the cable in the back of the driver to add a little wiggle room on strain relief. If the litz is of a smaller diameter than the standard cable. Strip off a little from the old cable and add to the end of the litz until the outer housing. That should allow the sheathing to grip the outer O ring and give a little more strain relief.

Just ideas to think about. Good luck

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,537 of 3,098
I've been able to successfully solder with a $30 Weller micro iron. It's a real pain though and the connection is definitely really delicate to begin with. That's one caveat to modding, and you have to be very careful when removing the drivers. If it catches when you attempt to pull one, you'll have to make sure that the O-ring is pried up before going any further

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #2,539 of 3,098

Ah ok. I take it that the rubber washer is still there?

Excuse me but my english is poor, i'm not sure about what a rubber washer is... you mean that plastic rings that lie behind the driver, sometimes called around these headfi latitudes "o-rings"??. If the question is about them they are where they have to be but it's possible that one of them doesn't make the pressure that it's  supposed to offer and because of that the "valleys and mountains of the thread"  don't find the appropriate pressure, finding space to dance with my grooviest music and causing, finally,  the progressive and magical unscrew process without human intervention...I must try to make real one the solutions recommended here or i'll loose one of these days the endcap!!

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,540 of 3,098
Use a little bathroom silicone sealant.
Window glass silicone sealant.
Get a friend to rub some on the end capscrew and tighten up. This will work and can be removed very easy.
Apply with a cotton bud / American
Q-Tip. Very easy to do.

Good luck

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,542 of 3,098
So my original cable died at the jack, just stopped giving any sound in one channel apart from a tiny bit when rotating the jack to a specific point.

I ordered the replacement drivers but the outer jacket didn't reach close enough to the drivers and so left the bare wires hanging out of the housing. No surprise one of the channels has gone again within a week. Has anyone else had this problem with their replacement drivers. Sending mine for a refund.

It's a shame they don't use a higher quality cable, they're just so thin and weak. Really tempted to snip up my RHA S500's and use that cable for the Flares. Ridiculous that the cable on those £30 IEMs is infinitely better.

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,543 of 3,098
Get a friend to rub some on the end capscrew and tighten up. This will work and can be removed very easy.
Q-Tip. Very easy to do.

Good luck

Thank you very much @Middy

Photos are a great support also, what the hell, i'll do it!!! (because the tip mod looks like quantum physics for me...)

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,545 of 3,098
Q-Tip. Very easy to do.

Good luck

Thank you very much @Middy

Photos are a great support also, what the hell, i'll do it!!! (because the tip mod looks like quantum physics for me...)

Please don't!
eek.gif
  Or at least be extremely careful if you do it.

The reason being that the drivers have a rear vent (see arrow). If only the tiniest drop of that stuff gets stuck to it, you'll need a driver replacement kit.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2,547 of 3,098
well, a 4 year old with tooth paste is a precise description of me with a silicon gun. I don't discard the possibility of finishing the process with a pair of new breasts on my left armpit and the flares glued to them. If i finally try to wet in silicone the end cap thread (never the main body of the headphone) i'll show you what kind of disaster i created... anyway, thanks again for all the tips and advices

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #2,548 of 3,098
  well, a 4 year old with tooth paste is a precise description of me with a silicon gun. I don't discard the possibility of finishing the process with a pair of new breasts on my left armpit and the flares glued to them. If i finally try to wet in silicone the end cap thread (never the main body of the headphone) i'll show you what kind of disaster i created... anyway, thanks again for all the tips and advices

@xoxiax: seeing we're both in the EU, if you want you can send me your Flares and I'll do the washer (o-ring) mod for free. Just shoot me a PM, if you want to go that route. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,549 of 3,098
So my original cable died at the jack, just stopped giving any sound in one channel apart from a tiny bit when rotating the jack to a specific point.

I ordered the replacement drivers but the outer jacket didn't reach close enough to the drivers and so left the bare wires hanging out of the housing. No surprise one of the channels has gone again within a week. Has anyone else had this problem with their replacement drivers. Sending mine for a refund.

It's a shame they don't use a higher quality cable, they're just so thin and weak. Really tempted to snip up my RHA S500's and use that cable for the Flares. Ridiculous that the cable on those £30 IEMs is infinitely better.

You are right . It is a shame their cabling is their Archilles heel.
Why not just send them back under warranty. They must still be in that time frame.
I contacted them and they came back perfect. I did miss them for a few days but after reading the problems of sound signature if too loose/tight I waved the white flag and got Flare team to do it for me.
Im glad I did ,but I also have dexterity of a mood swinging 4 year old at times. They were very helpful to be honest. I can recommend going that route and having a spare cable set for when the warranty as run out.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,550 of 3,098
ve monks for 7 euro is more resolving than flare audio r2a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back