Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Aug 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,846 of 3,098
Nice work! So the A and Pro sound virtually identical or now the A pulls ahead to your ears?

Unfortunately I don't have the R2PRO any longer, so I cannot state anything factual here.
Based off my auditory memory though, I feel my modded R2A is slightly different sounding in a good way.
I listen to mostly classical music and R2PRO's bass was just about right and R2A without modding had that elevated bass which made everything sound congested.
Now modded R2A is very flat and correct sounding for my taste with perfect amount of bass vs just about right (R2PRO).
I am guessing bass is about couple decibels lower than R2PRO and maybe 2-3 decibels higher than Aurisonic Rockets. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,847 of 3,098
Unfortunately I don't have the R2PRO any longer, so I cannot state anything factual here.
Based off my auditory memory though, I feel my modded R2A is slightly different sounding in a good way.
I listen to mostly classical music and R2PRO's bass was just about right and R2A without modding had that elevated bass which made everything sound congested.
Now modded R2A is very flat and correct sounding for my taste with perfect amount of bass vs just about right (R2PRO).
I am guessing bass is about couple decibels lower than R2PRO and maybe 2-3 decibels higher than Aurisonic Rockets. 

When you say more bass than Rockets, is that in deeper or sub bass? The Rockets bass rises into upper bass. I'm hoping the Flare bass doesn't do the same, at least post mod.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,848 of 3,098
When you say more bass than Rockets, is that in deeper or sub bass? The Rockets bass rises into upper bass. I'm hoping the Flare bass doesn't do the same, at least post mod.

Compared to many other IEMs, rockets seem to have pretty even bass, no?
Just look at the chart above and raise 2-3dbs from 25 to 200hz and that is how I hear modded R2A. 
Tyll said he would have wished rockets to had couple of dbs more bass.

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,849 of 3,098
Yeah, Rocket bass is pretty linear. If I could swap +3db at 40hz and -3db in upper bass, it would have been more to my preferences.

Anyway the mods sound very promising. I may be getting to hear these very soon.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,850 of 3,098
smily_headphones1.gif
Now that I'm an outsider to the Flare community, this thread just keeps on giving
biggrin.gif
. Ladies, stop jabbing each other about Experience VS Scientific Procedure. Good way to get this thread suspended.

What occurs to me pointedly, is how everyone is making "Adjustments" to make these phones sound correct to their tastes. It only took me a week to figure out it wasn't happening for me, That is why I'm now an outsider. I'm a quick-study when it comes to my own tastes in Sound Signature.

Just an observation, your results may vary....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,851 of 3,098

smily_headphones1.gif
Now that I'm an outsider to the Flare community, this thread just keeps on giving
biggrin.gif
. Ladies, stop jabbing each other about Experience VS Scientific Procedure. Good way to get this thread suspended.

What occurs to me pointedly, is how everyone is making "Adjustments" to make these phones sound correct to their tastes. It only took me a week to figure out it wasn't happening for me, That is why I'm now an outsider. I'm a quick-study when it comes to my own tastes in Sound Signature.

Just an observation, your results may vary....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

I'm not seeing that. Other than the finding about the cap that can make or break the sound, most seem to be more like searching good alternate tips from complies. I can personally stop doing or adding anything to the R2 full stop and just enjoy them for what they are (in fact, I'm doing that as I fiddle around! shocking I know) but I'm a curious person, and I love to find out just what kind of sound will come out to them if I do this or that, just because I can.

I personally don't really care about justifying purchase myself, not like my music will sound any better even if I do that. If I like something then I like something and I'll keep it, and if I don't then I can just sell it, eat the loss if there's any and shrug it off as a valuable experience in this quest. I'm not interested in trying to justify those losses either, but that's me and your mileage may vary.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,852 of 3,098
cool.gif
Fortunately, I didn't take a loss on the sale, which usually is not the case.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,857 of 3,098
It's on Amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012Y6DBBW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jkpYvbZA236GG

Searching for Flare Audio shows the different options

omg!!! I can NOT wait for this to be offered to US residents. exactly what I am looking for!!!

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,858 of 3,098
My concern with the Ostry OS200 tips is that, while the treble is excellent, the bass may be a bit artificial. It is producing the right quantity, perhaps a bit elevated. But whereas the Complys generate that quantity via a perfect seal for the R2PRO, the Ostry are using some other mechanism to boost up the bass. It may have something to do with restricted airflow through the tip; I am really not sure. It is pretty darn good but I am not convinced that it is as good.

Just some thoughts before the whole world buys them on false expectations. (Really for $12.95, it is a bit of a no-brainer.) They are very cool but I thinking that the Complys are king.

Still early days. Looking forward to James' impressions too.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,859 of 3,098
Replacement driver/cable kits are available from Flare on Amazon now, including ones with inline mics.

What! That's great!

Have they actually released the iems themselves yet though? (Ah, I see dealers give a date of 27th August).

You can buy cable assemblies with both the big Flare metal splitter or without. Same for the mic cable, with or without splitter. User replaceable it says..

I see they also have the R1s on sale for £249.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back