Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Aug 4, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,726 of 3,098
  I tried tightening the cap on my R2A and the result was dreadful, muffled sound and compressed dynamics.

I really quite like how my R2As currently sound. I don't hear any imbalance going on in any sense of the word so I'm just gonna go ahead and not mess with it
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,730 of 3,098
As I said, the R2A may be different. @Idsynchrono_24
 told me his unit has a 1mm gap between the cap and the housing, whereas his Pro's cap screws in almost flush, like mine.

Very curious. I wonder if the non-pro o-ring is thicker, or the backplate post longer? I also wonder if a pro o-ring or backplate were used on a non-pro housing, if the fit would be tighter, thus sounding more like the pro.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,731 of 3,098
Wiser words have never been spoken. :wink:  

Very true. Nothing was amiss with mine, they sounded fabulous, so all I accomplished was to further damage the cable. Trust your ears.

The endcaps on my set(R2A) look pretty close to being flush to me, I haven't really heard a difference - of course, I wasn't listening for one either as fully sealed is fully sealed in my book.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,732 of 3,098

As I said, the R2A may be different. @Idsynchrono_24 told me his unit has a 1mm gap between the cap and the housing, whereas his Pro's cap screws in almost flush, like mine.

I have both and mine are the same with the R2A having a gap.

Still, I wouldn't expect this to be anything much more than the milling process perhaps having made a shorter end cap for the titanium versions.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,733 of 3,098
Very true. Nothing was amiss with mine, they sounded fabulous, so all I accomplished was to further damage the cable. Trust your ears.

The endcaps on my set(R2A) look pretty close to being flush to me, I haven't really heard a difference - of course, I wasn't listening for one either as fully sealed is fully sealed in my book.

How far they stick out doesn't make a difference. Only if they screwed all the way in and still didn't meet the seal (i.e. they were too short) would they make a difference. Being longer does of course mean you have the opportunity to screw them in too tight so they're compressing wires and stuff..

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,738 of 3,098
At the front, where the sound comes out. There isn't any other.. although I do wonder if there is anything in the shape of the driver casing (the thing with the five holes) which opens up the rear of the driver to the front.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,739 of 3,098
Anyway...

Gah! Goddamit! Stupid f'ing Complys! 

On my journey home just now, one of my Complys just completely refused to compress! What's that all about? Anyone else had the memory foam fail and return to being just foam?

It has lost all it's use an isolation tip!

Consequently, because it wouldn't compress and would just expand back to normal shape before I could get it to my ear, pushing it into my ear made the tip split. Neadless to say, without the compression part, it would no longer fit in my ear and was almost falling out, just managing to stay in...

Have to say that it didn't actually effect the sound too much, only that I couldn't listen comfortably.

So, does anyone think I can get a new pair as they weren't fit for purpose? I hope it is a rogue one and not going to happen to all the Complys. Never had that happen to my Sure memory foam tips in the 4 years I've had them, still the same ones..

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,740 of 3,098
  Anyway...

Gah! Goddamit! Stupid f'ing Complys! 

On my journey home just now, one of my Complys just completely refused to compress! What's that all about? Anyone else had the memory foam fail and return to being just foam?

It has lost all it's use an isolation tip!

Consequently, because it wouldn't compress and would just expand back to normal shape before I could get it to my ear, pushing it into my ear made the tip split. Neadless to say, without the compression part, it would no longer fit in my ear and was almost falling out, just managing to stay in...

Have to say that it didn't actually effect the sound too much, only that I couldn't listen comfortably.

So, does anyone think I can get a new pair as they weren't fit for purpose? I hope it is a rogue one and not going to happen to all the Complys. Never had that happen to my Sure memory foam tips in the 4 years I've had them, still the same ones..

I used to use the Shure foams with my 215 and they handled a lot of abuse, even gym sweat.  The Complys are not that hardy and die much sooner under much less duress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back